Author Topic: Screen Writers strike and BET  (Read 6213 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Screen Writers strike and BET
« on: November 03, 2007, 06:30:55 pm »
I'm curious as to how this strike will affect the upcoming shows on BET? I hope the Hannibal series is unaffected as I really want to see that.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Screen Writers strike and BET
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:18:58 am »
i hope that the shows are simply put on hiatus if they're not finished.. but hopefully the strike is settled amicably soon..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:03:35 pm »
From what I have read and hgeard from members of the SWG they are planning for the long haul. At Millarworld you have several writers from both the comic and movie/television industry commenting on the manner. Most notable among them is Brian K Vaughan from Iron Fist, Daredevil, Y The Last man and some obscure TV show called LOST.

If this keeps up it will be reality TV 2008 ;D. Supreme Illuminati, it may be time to reformat the Hood Defense DVD project into a streetfighting reality series.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:28:00 am »
I was listening to the radio and a prolific Hollywood t.v. writer who was protesting commented that this strike was a calculated move by the Screen Writers Guild, hence the timing for the 4th quarter fiscal period during upfront negotiations with advertisers and sponsors. He also stated the obvious reasons for the strike (read: MORE MONEY, PLEASE) and something about the SWG has historically set the standards and rules in the entertainment industry...

My question is:
what are the 'standard and rules'?
Does this mean that just because the work for hire staff attempts to hold up an entire production of a program that no one else is qualified to do it? ...or no one else is even allowed to be hired?   

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 07:00:25 pm »
This sums it up perfect and succinctly

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:07:56 pm »
I was listening to the radio and a prolific Hollywood t.v. writer who was protesting commented that this strike was a calculated move by the Screen Writers Guild, hence the timing for the 4th quarter fiscal period during upfront negotiations with advertisers and sponsors. He also stated the obvious reasons for the strike (read: MORE MONEY, PLEASE) and something about the SWG has historically set the standards and rules in the entertainment industry...

My question is:
what are the 'standard and rules'?
Does this mean that just because the work for hire staff attempts to hold up an entire production of a program that no one else is qualified to do it? ...or no one else is even allowed to be hired?   

There really aren't any rules.

Someone else could come in and do it, risk crossing the line, but then when the strike is over they'll forever be known as that guy.  They may get blacklisted form working in Hollywood.

The work for hire staff usually consists of the person who created the show and all shows have been mapped out in a certain way and if that person isn't doing the writing you may end up with something happening on that show that wasn't planned because some other people were brought in to write it.  I mean, hell anybody could do that, right?  But that show will suffer because of it (in the story dept., anyways).

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:10:28 am »
it's not work for hire, Battle. And, even in work-for-hire, such as when I write for the Star Trek line, the creator STILL gets royalties (after the advance is covered).

That little video is pretty much the goods.

People have this vision of "Hollywood Writers" driving from party to party in state-of-the-art whips with Playmates and Video Chicks on tap.

No.

They make a good living, even at baseline, but, after paying out taxes, agents, managers, lawyers (if you roll like that), union fees, pension & health and probably some stuff I'm forgetting, the take-home salary is much more like what you expect from a so-called NORMAL person.

When you write prose for a living, the way you make money is via lease. I lease SOME of my publishing rights to some entity, they publish, charge you and send me a percentage. This is because, in the old days, it was pretty much impossible to publish a book AND get it to bookstores yourself on a scale that could pay your bills.

It's easier now but it's still a bitch. Most still can't do it. So we lease rights. They do the manufacture and distribution (which costs a lot). They charge, take the big cut and we get our share too. Everybody gets something. it's fair. Really. More to the point. Publishing houses are only paying for the PUBLISHING rights. the other rights stay with me. it's not the publisher who gets the check when somebody turns my book into a film. It's me.

As the video said, this has been the model for playwrights, musicians, novelists, all of the arts, for pretty much ever.

Only in movies does the pattern shift. And it shifts HEAVILY away from the creator. In the old studio system days, everything really was work-for-hire with the studio paying once for a given job (and not very much), then owning the copyright and reaping benefits in it forever. (This was because of a host of social and business factors at the time not the least of which was that Hollywood wanted an assembly line model for its product, just like all the other industries. only this assembly line consists of people using their imaginations and talent to build the product rather than a blueprint and a toolbox.)

It's a different sort of animal than the Ford Motor Company.

Nowadays, especially in TV,  they still get to do that but the people who ACTUALLY MAKE THE THING get a deserved cut of that McDonald's toy that's based on something they thought up. For as long as the studio or net is making money off that product.

Which is fair too. That toy wouldn't exist to be sold if some guy hadn't sat down and made up the story for the character to exist in.

As the 'net takes over more and more of how we communicate, people who make stuff up for a living are going to need the studios and other giant outlets less and less to get their products to the people (more on that later).

Until that time we're stuck with the old model.

It's not producers that are the "enemy." Producers are often writers themselves as you are seeing right now with the strike. The battle is between giant multinational corporations and the relatively small number of people who LITERALLY create the products those corporations sell for billions of dollars.

The people who actually make the stuff are asking for 2.5 cents off of EVERY dollar earned.

I'm pretty sure that's fair.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 06:55:06 am »
Hey, thanks for the info RedJack! :) Thanks to all of you in this thread!
We should work again sometime in the future! Maybe even create another OmniVerse© story!

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 01:27:11 pm »
Very nicely put, Red.  I learn something new e'er'day, or.... at least I try to. :-\

No problemo, Magic.

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 08:57:36 pm »
Here's some more stuff

This is the real deal showing us how full of *&^% the studios really are.

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 04:07:11 pm »
This group, UnitedHollywood.com really knows their stuff.  Here&;s another to keep you up to speed