Author Topic: American Gangster Season 2  (Read 10310 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
American Gangster Season 2
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:20:46 pm »
I just finished watching the Melvin Williams episode of American Gangster and it was by far the best episode of the series to date. Throughout the episode Williams provides insight that shows the juxtaposition of the Black community in terms of values and connection prior to integration coupled with the transformation of Crime in Baltimore.

The calculated nature in which Williams operated every aspect of his business is akin to what we usually hear about from top level entrepeneurs and CEO's. Out of all the episodes shown I don't think there has been a single figure outside of Tookie Williams who has single-handedly caused such a level of destruction to their community.

I know that the man who is the inspiration for Avon Barksdale works on The Wire as well and it would be great to hear his story as it would mark the sequel of sorts to Williams reign as the drug Kingpin in Baltimore.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: American Gangster Season 2
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:16:24 pm »
One of the things that makes this season stand out is the number of criminals who tell their own story firsthand, like Melvin Williams.  Wait til you see the Frank Lucas ep....

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:05:57 pm »
This show is one of my favorites. It is done top notch and I love how BET puts the message of not glorifying those portraid crimes. I mean other networks will show the bios and could care less about placing a message. I cant wait for the Frank Lucas piece. I'm amazed that Frank Lucas and Nicky Barnes were able to exist in New York at the same time.

I wonder if there is a chance to portray the Black Mafia Family? Probably not since their stuff is still ongoing.

Offline jmj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:00:34 am »
Black Mafia Family is real but weak compared to the old school Black Mafia in Philly from AG episode I.

http://gangstersinc.tripod.com/Books/BlackBrothers.html

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 09:07:34 am »
The Philly black mafia was a lot more psychopathic as well. These guys were chopping off heads and sh*t.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:34:59 pm »
It took all of 2 weeks for it to happen, but the Melvin Williams episode has been supplanted. The Frank Lucas episode is now the best one. To see a murderer, corrupter and drug Kingpin captivate with the grace of your favorite Uncle was hard to put into words. There is a common theme with a lot of these men, namely a level of charisma that forces you to block out that part of your being that should make you loathe these criminals every time you see them.

The underdog element of the Lucas story is hard to beat, a son having to take the mantle of the family because of Jim Crow era racism comes to the Black mecca of Harlem and becomes king.

While American Gangster always takes great pains to expose the dead end nature of the world of crime, there is something about the "PSA" that people like Williams and Lucas give that makes you feel these guys would be back in the game in a minute.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:56 pm »
The Jeff Forte episode really lends to a sense of folklore and almost mythology that surrounds some of these criminals. The fact that Forte's rise is juxtaposed with the rise and fall of The Black Power movement added a great element to the story.

There is so much that remains unknown about figures in The Black power movement in regard to crime, ideology, tactics in addition to COINTELPRO that we will probably never know the true stories surrounding many of them.

I wonder how the remaining members of US would feel about DR. Kuranga possibly being profiled?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 07:31:57 am »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 09:12:39 am »
Who saw the Supreme episode?

That was some shull bit! What they did to the Inc and Supreme. I know Supreme was no saint, Supreme team was some cutthroats, this is all documented but I've had the pleasure of building with the god who gave this brother knowledge and he did do many positive things in the community as well, he wasn't 100% weak and wicked.

Who has seen Get Rich or Die Trying? Is it any good? Heard there's alot of characters in there with righteous names who are very foul and had no desire to see it when I heard about that, Belly was enough for me.

PEACE
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Jenn

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 01:23:22 pm »
Who saw the Supreme episode?

That was some shull bit! What they did to the Inc and Supreme. I know Supreme was no saint, Supreme team was some cutthroats, this is all documented but I've had the pleasure of building with the god who gave this brother knowledge and he did do many positive things in the community as well, he wasn't 100% weak and wicked.

Anybody who pushes poison to his own people is weak and wicked.

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 01:35:56 pm »
i have to agree with Jenn. I couldn't understand if Gotti was saying that Supreme didn't have people killed and sold drugs or what? Was he trying to imply the feds set him up?

Offline Heyman7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 02:34:49 pm »
with the movie & this series I know America is getting
tired of the "gangster"

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 03:52:41 pm »
No just the black ones. Their are white folks still crying about the Sopranoes being cancelled.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 06:10:03 am »
The funny thing about really good gangsters is you would almost never know except for...
A long time friend of mine (currently on death row) was as sweet as pie would do anything for you BUT there was that other side that got the movie of the week made about him, and the things he allegedly ;D did.
There was one who would only sell drugs in the summer to pay his tuition for med school. Wonder did he finish?