Author Topic: Wesley Snipes Breaks His Silence  (Read 4004 times)

Sunjata

Wesley Snipes Breaks His Silence
« on: December 21, 2007, 11:38:48 am »
Wesley decides to give his side.

Here is what some of his comments concerning the last Blade film. 

Snipes' 2005 lawsuit against New Line regarding Blade: Trinity is another example of his perceived persecution. (New Line and EW parent Time Inc. are both owned by Time Warner.) According to the multimillion-dollar suit against the studio, director David S. Goyer, and Trinity's producers, Snipes claimed that his character's screen time was reduced in favor of two new costars, Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel. He also contended that New Line didn't pay his full salary and that he was intentionally cut out of casting decisions and the filmmaking process as a whole — a role he said he was contractually entitled to as one of the film's producers.

While neither Goyer nor New Line would comment on these allegations, Snipes isn't as inclined to hold his tongue. In fact, he suggests that the color of his skin may have been a factor. ''Systematic racism was used to divert focus away from the real issues of an incompetent director and inexperienced producers with a $60 million budget,'' he says angrily, ''and onto the 'insubordinate, difficult, self-immersed actor.'''

Snipes claims the filmmakers did not take his suggestions seriously and that the film suffered as a result. He points to Trinity's underwhelming reviews and box office returns as proof of this (it made just $52 million). ''There are so few guys who do action and do it well,'' Snipes says. ''Even fewer who are African-American. Even fewer who have classical-theater training. So a cat like me coming in, I'm bringing all of that to an action movie. I'm not looking at an action movie as something where I just jump around and look beautiful and show my muscles. Since there are so few people that do this and have that pedigree, people disregard their contribution. I think that's what happened on Blade: Trinity.

Read the whole interview here.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20165873,00.html

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Wesley Snipes Breaks His Silence
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:30:21 pm »
neat.. I just picked up a couple of his recent dvd action movies for cheap via amazon.. looking forward to watching them..

Too bad he missed out on Spike Lee's WWII film because of the trial..

I hope that the rights to Blade expire with New Line, and Wesley can pitch his own project directly to Marvel...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:40:35 am »
Wes makes valid points.  He is the star, the title role, a producer and working with a great screenwriter, but unfortunately green director (blade was his first flick) and the co-stars, IMO brought the film down several notches.  Wes has been in this game a long time.  Anyone ignorant enough to not listen to him has problems.

Didn't someone post some Blade news here about a younger Blade taking over the big screen version (not Sticky Fingaz)?  Who'd they go with?

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 05:44:28 pm »
Damn, man.  I hope Wesley gets through this and gets his career back on track.  That stuff he mentioned about institutional racism and Blade:Trinity is real talk.  Go to any movie oriented site and look up feedback on Blade:Trinity and the overwhelming opinion is that somehow, Wesley Snipes, the actor (who just happens to be Black), single-handedly ruined that film.  There is little mention that maybe, just maybe, Trinity's failure was due to incompetent direction, poor writing, and the intent to spin-off a bunch of lame, poorly concieved characters into their own franchise.  Look up any pre-release interviews with Goyer and he states plainly that he intended this film to spin off the Nightstalkers.  As more evidence, look how he treated the Blade character in that wack-ass TV show. 

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:06:28 am »
Agreed.  The movies changed direction and focus over time and Snipes' words ring true.  Maybe that's why he stated several years back that "if he had to do his acting career all over again he may not have gone down that route."

Offline rekh

• View Profile
    • daathrekh
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:09:11 pm »
...remember renting Blade I. Wasn't expecting a whole lot. Then that openning scene. WOW!!! Burned in my third eye forever!

Thanks for this drop.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:56:48 am »
Trinity was just a complete failure. I was actually mad i watched the movie. The movie was moreso about jessica biel and the crew and how badass they were.. Its funny to see ordinary humans kung fu chop these so called vampires with superhuman strength and durability..This movie may have portrayed the weakest version of Dracula..ever

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 02:11:53 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/29/snipes.trial.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

update.. his defense rests but calls no witnesses.. ?!?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 03:24:54 pm »
blade goin' to jail y'all.
 :(

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 05:19:10 pm »
I watched Blade III once, and then it made a swift return back to MovieStop. I feel for Snipes, I really do.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Wesley Snipes NOT GUILTY!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:35:45 pm »
update:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080201/ap_en_mo/snipes_tax_trial

the heaviest charge not guilty,

misdemeanor counts of not filing for taxes guilty, though.. still has 3-year max penalty? geez..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:40:08 pm by Hypestyle »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 03:31:38 pm »
3 yr max on the small charge?
dang.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 05:53:28 pm »
don't worry, he's a celebrity.  they can do whatever they want, like not pay taxes, and get slapped on the wrist.  I wouldn't be surprised if he got no jail time.