Author Topic: A suggestion  (Read 11233 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 01:27:18 pm »
Ah yes, The David Simon connection. I forgot...
But I knew I was mad at somebody and I'm reminded that it wasn't Simon, but HBO for always "miniserial-ing" black life but green lighting shows full series where black people are either just co-stars or on the periphery; at least that was my initial reaction four years ago.

Thanks.

No problem. It was both David Simon and Ed Burns on both projects, I think. You're right about Mr. Dutton's involvement; I think he directed the whole series (The Corner, that is).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:29:27 pm by Curtis Metcalf »
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Jenn

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 04:36:05 pm »
So, Heyman, if you're reading (and we all know you are), don't go away mad, just go away.

IIRC, can't you arrange it to where new accounts have to be activated - either by email validation or by moderators? Judging by his newest account (shshs@aol.com), he's not even using real email addresses.

I also recommend deleting any posts he makes, including the one above mine. But that's just me. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:38:40 pm by Jenn »

brotherkomrade

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 05:46:40 pm »
Ah yes, The David Simon connection. I forgot...
But I knew I was mad at somebody and I'm reminded that it wasn't Simon, but HBO for always "miniserial-ing" black life but green lighting shows full series where black people are either just co-stars or on the periphery; at least that was my initial reaction four years ago.

Thanks.

No problem. It was both David Simon and Ed Burns on both projects, I think. You're right about Mr. Dutton's involvement; I think he directed the whole series (The Corner, that is).

Yes, he did direct and I love what he did when e took over some creative aspects of his old show, Roc.

brotherkomrade

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 07:16:06 pm »
Hell date: Funny. Good formula tic but so is Cheaters, elimidate and every other show in this fashion. We are not asking for ban from those other networks for Formulatic shows. The midgets. I can take them or leave them. I see it more of exploited to small people as opposed to minstrel like. Black folks don't have midgetry lock down do we?

While the Culture Snob in me wouldn't mind seeing a ban on networks that would show Elimidate, I know those efforts would not be successful because the nose pickers have to watch TV too. However, this argument that "well, 'white' networks do this, and 'white' networks do that.." is really wearing thin with me lately. Why would this be considered a valid argument? Because there are stupid white kids who can watch Elimidate, then it's cool to play it safe at BET and make the same kinds of shows for stupid black kids? Just pointing out how weak that argument is. And please, let's not use the History Channel as an example for glorifying Gangsters, so BET should get a pass. History channel, like all the other "specialialy networks are programmed by marketing majors and MBAs, not Historians, not scientists. This si the network that has Ma and Pa Nose-Picker  beliviing that World history started with the Roman Empire and ended with WW II. In fact, as far as the History chennle is concerned, that's the ONLY war worth noting! So no, I would point out History channel.

In mainstream culture, The Italian mob is portrayed in a romantic way, this is true, but within the Italian community, there have been organizations and movements that protest every chance they get for shows, docs, and movies not to romanticize the gangster as being cool. While these movements are being headed up by moral-majority types or Middle-American types, these sentiments have internal roots from the past when the Lucianos bullied shop owners for 'protection' money back when Italian immigrants lived together in their ghettos.
You stated why you like AG. Good. Again, I was asked what shows I don't like and I wanted to fair by expressing why and now I wanted to point out further why I don't like AG; for every gangster, there are victims. But I will say this; I do give AG writers and producers props for the "Crime doesn't pay" message in every episode and unlike the "History" channel, you'll never see that kind of message. I may not have looked at every episode of AG, but I do know that much about AG. I just wished that that same kind of production could be used for black historical figures that are rarley talked about or the history of Hip-Hop as a series. 

Music videos. Cry to the cows come home. I am 35. I am out of the demographic for video shows. If you are younger then 30, good for you. Howeer the format of Rap n RnB that you look for the artist shun the radio and the cross over any way. I love Dead Prez but can we be serious. The content of their songs like F*$# the Radio and Turn off that BS aint establishment so why place them in an audience that is not there's? VH1 Soul and MTV 2 Bet Jazz are more to your liking Bro. Take that up with your cable provider if you don't have them.

Why do you say that the audience who listens to corporate radio are not Dead Prez audience? Where do you think Dead Prez audience member come from? There seemed to be room for Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" back in the day, what's different now? Are you really saying that what's shown is what young people want?  If so, then how would you explain me? When I was in my teens and 20s I never would look at the video shows on BET. But remember, I'm not crying, just expressed what I didn't like about BET and why. But again, I think the age argument is weak. Btw, I do have MTV2, BET Jazz, and VH1 Soul. And? They still don't show anthing decent not very good alternatives.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 07:34:33 pm »
I may post more in detail later. Kind of tired. I can post a lot of words but my over all point is that perhaps cable tv isn't for you. You seem like a smart person. So going to the show, museum, talent shows, poetry recitals and cyphers are more for your liking. Pop culture is pop culture. But I guess it wouldn't be pop if there weren't for the underground. There were folks mad at The Jeffersons, Good Times and further back The Black Minstrel circuit. I don't know what to tell you bro. Maybe somebody can come along and make the Pro Black Social Network and the Political Social Activist will all watch it. Farrakhan can have a weekly talk show and the FOI can have a work out show ala Debbie Austin. I know I am being flip but I scratch my head at the anti-bet stuff. A few years ago with Rev Ike and the Infomercials hell yea yall are right. But now I see major progress.

brotherkomrade

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 09:59:45 pm »
I may post more in detail later. Kind of tired. I can post a lot of words but my over all point is that perhaps cable tv isn't for you. You seem like a smart person. So going to the show, museum, talent shows, poetry recitals and cyphers are more for your liking. Pop culture is pop culture. But I guess it wouldn't be pop if there weren't for the underground. There were folks mad at The Jeffersons, Good Times and further back The Black Minstrel circuit. I don't know what to tell you bro. Maybe somebody can come along and make the Pro Black Social Network and the Political Social Activist will all watch it. Farrakhan can have a weekly talk show and the FOI can have a work out show ala Debbie Austin. I know I am being flip but I scratch my head at the anti-bet stuff. A few years ago with Rev Ike and the Infomercials hell yea yall are right. But now I see major progress.

You don't have to feel sorry for me I have all the culture I need, and some of that includes cable. Don't try to hide behind some of BET's weaknesses and attribute that to the rest of cable. Just as I've highlighted some positive things I like(d) about BET (actually I can think of more stuff I liked on BET during Johnson's ownership (Desmonds, Blacksploitation films, Bev Smith), There are other things I enjoy on other cable channels like Ctoon's has Boondocks and Venture Bros., Sci Fi has BSG, and Oxygen (had) Campus Ladies. You get my meaning. I think you're having a problem identifying a criticism vs. "being anti-BET".

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 05:18:31 am »
Oh, I dunno, brotherkomrade. I don't think anybody objects to your specific criticisms. You like what you like. For instance, I think that AG does a service by shining a light on an unduly romanticized segment of society; you've got no interest in gangsters period. I can understand that. No problem.

I think you're on less sound ground when you draw conclusions about the direction of the network and what it can and can't do based on your sampling of the programs today. Your analysis doesn't seem to account for the changes over the last couple of years or the stated objectives of the programming chief, Mr. Hudlin.

I think we all feel that BET is not yet what it should be but it does for the first time, IMHO, seem to be headed in the right direction.

brotherkomrade

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 06:20:03 am »
I'll leave it at this:
The network is making changes, but what kind of changes and in what direction still remains to be seen. I am a patient man, we'll see....

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 07:05:26 am »
Me, too, BK. I agree, time will tell.