Author Topic: New Boondocks Ep. coming at Reg, and BET link  (Read 76490 times)

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
New Boondocks Ep. coming at Reg, and BET link
« on: January 08, 2008, 01:22:04 pm »

Offline Daoud

• View Profile
Re: New Boondocks Ep. coming at Reg, and BET link
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:50 pm »
BarbaraB

OK this preview is funny. :D

I'm not a big BET fan but, like my comics, I know where they're coming from in terms of giving people entertainment with black people.

I don't watch that much TV and am not a pop music fan.

Also the religious shows on sunday just seem not so much hypocritical as cynical.  Hey, I'm an atheist but I assume the preachers get ratings.

Quotes from the advertising campaign:

"BET, It's What's On In The Backround

BET, You Niggas Have Nothing Better To Watch

BET, Complain To Someone Who Gives A f*ck"

Brutal  :o but when you realize that they are owned by Viacom, the same owners of MTV, it makes a kind of pop cultural sense.

Excelsior!

Daoud

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:00:44 pm »
I thought the battle was on between Obama and Hillary and now McGruder brings out the big guns in his attack on BET. When I think about it the Boondocks is getting to that untouchable status that South Park had for a long time; namely, they attack but rarely get any shots in return.

Reggie, has the position and animation team to respond, LET THE GAMES BEGIN! 8)

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:00:58 pm »
We might have to shut the board down for a couple of days after this one. The drive by e protesters will be here in force. That was some mean sh*T about Ms. Lee. Curtis you might have to take a couple of days off to mod up in here. Wow.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »
I thought the battle was on between Obama and Hillary and now McGruder brings out the big guns in his attack on BET. When I think about it the Boondocks is getting to that untouchable status that South Park had for a long time; namely, they attack but rarely get any shots in return.

---------------
You know I was kind of thinking that. I am just an every day working stiff. You know I do ok but sh&t If the transmission fell out of my car it might have to be a week before I can get it fixed. If i had any thing close to a million and the resources of a whole network I would come at that nigga hard. Not even a cartoon nickle and dime sh*t. I would use the full resources of Viacom and buy the Boondocks from cartoon network. Reg is already on the show title as exec producer. It is like when Dre went at eazy e. I make more money off Dre day then Dre. Didn't he say Dre day was my pay day. A year or two from now when the original programing is on the air what will they say then?

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:33:47 pm »
I don't think the portrayal of Debra Lee was especially mean; I think it was simply The Boondocks. The clips were the usual combination of abrasive, funny, insightful and timely commentary from Mcgruder. In fact, Mcgruder would be a hypocrite if he didn't come as hard as he did after all the subliminal pot-shots he has been taking at BET during almost every episode of the series.

It would be great to see two creators respond to criticism through their work. As stated, Mcgruder has never been challenged and BET's old response to this would be no response whatsoever. I could see a segment with Reggie calling up Mcgruder with something like" Yeah, that BET episode was hilarious, you do know that I receive an increased royality starting with that show, anyway make sure you get my money here on time !@#$"

BlueZulu, I had the same vision of compton City G's running throught my head with Eazy making the same "Dre's slaying me, payin me" comment.

Jenn

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:35:32 pm »

Why bother? As long as "Boondocks" is on the air, McGruder and company have to cut Hudlin a check. I'm sure Hudlin is crying...all the way to the bank.

In fact, Mcgruder would be a hypocrite if he didn't come as hard as he did after all the subliminal pot-shots he has been taking at BET during almost every episode of the series.

Actually, I think it makes him more of a hypocrite than usual. One, nothing on BET says "nigger" more than McGruder's "Boondocks". Two, if you despise the station so much, stop working with one of the station's top dogs. Don't get me wrong, I laughed myself (especially at "complain to someone who gives a f*ck"), but let's not act like McGruder didn't thank the Gods of TV Cartooning for Reggie Hudlin and his connections - bookwise and now.

The thing that gets me most is this: if having a Harvard education is subject to ridicule, doesn't that kind of reek of the "keeping it real" attitude that McGruder and company claim they're fighting? See, it's not the BET snaps that irk me - those are hilarious. It's the snapping on Hudlin and Ms. Lee that comes off as kind of childish, especially since Hudlin and McGruder used to work together. I don't want to say "gay" because that's not right, but I can't come up w/a better adjective. (Somebody help?) It's like..."I'm doing this because I can and I want people to point and laugh at you," not "I'm doing this because this is how I feel and I have a point to make." Kind of effs up the integrity a bit, IMO.

Hope that made sense - I'm sleepy. :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:51:35 pm by Jenn »

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 04:14:30 pm »
Perfect sense. Of course the haters will disagree and wallow in the same 1989 arguments and critic but not see the position TODAY. A video ho award show. Umm no Reg has introduced a GOSPHEL award show and a HIP HOP award show that gave plenty of shot out to classic hip hop. They included a classic cypher. I will take a few steps back and say hey if you can laugh at other people you should be able to laugh at yourself but the small clips we did see is kind of like damn what you are trying to do today, because what took place in the past you will always get bashed.

Also lets not get the McGruder Hudlin beef twisted. If we were bro's before and I get a job at a network, you don't have to diss me because of my business level is tight. If I secure the deal you best believe I would get paid regardless.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 04:17:56 pm »
I am not looking for a substantive point/counterpoint from BET in the form of an animated response but quite simply a good old-fashioned slap to McGruder. If I were a young( or even not so young) unknown at BET animation I would be charged to develop a response ASAP.

While we have all seen only clips, as you pointed out this seemed like Mcgruder getting a chance to make a personal attack and still have the benefit of having it be perceived in a larger sense of social commentary. In this vein, what will be even more ironic is that while there will probably be very little substance in terms of McGruder's criticism a the anti-BET crowd will laud the episode to the utmost.

As far as the potential anti-education posture with the "Harvard Educated" segment, I think it was Mcgruder using everything in his power to take a stab. It doesn't fit with the overall message of The Boondocks through Huey's voice but this isn't about a message, it's war ;D.

Jenn

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 04:26:36 pm »
Of course the haters will disagree and wallow in the same 1989 arguments and critic but not see the position TODAY. A video ho award show. Umm no Reg has introduced a GOSPHEL award show and a HIP HOP award show that gave plenty of shot out to classic hip hop.

I think that's what makes the clips so bizarre. "American Gangster" is outstanding. "Hell Date" and "S.O.B." aren't my cup of tea, but I know people who enjoy them. I mean, it's not like BET created "I Love New York" or that sh*t with Three Six Mafia...oh, wait. That's not what this is about, is it?

this isn't about a message, it's war ;D.

That makes sense. Most wars are pointless.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:31:45 pm by Jenn »

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 04:58:34 pm »
yo, was the new episode on the air yet?  My dvr must've missed it... :(

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 05:37:35 pm »
No it doesnt hit till this weekend I think. Then Friday they have it up on their website for early download ahem viewing. :)

brotherkomrade

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 07:22:16 pm »
Why are y'all complaining and circling wagons? We know this episode won't air. It was supposed to have aired last night according to TV.com. But like a Zen Master will say, we'll see...

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:26:52 pm »
New epps come on Monday nights. They post them on Fridays. I saw it air date was supposed to be the 15th.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 09:08:52 pm »
Why are y'all complaining and circling wagons? We know this episode won't air. It was supposed to have aired last night according to TV.com. But like a Zen Master will say, we'll see...

BrotherKomrade, they have made the episode, provided clips to the episode and have generated a tremendous amount of buzz about it. There is no way they will NOT air this episode.

Conspiracy theories would be better spent on how Obama lost New Hampshire while having a 8-10% lead in the polls. 8)