Author Topic: New Boondocks Ep. coming at Reg, and BET link  (Read 76483 times)

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
Re: New Boondocks Ep. coming at Reg, and BET link
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 03:14:38 am »
It's just a funny cartoon, enjoy, damn
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 09:58:32 am »
Ok sir.

Jenn

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:35:17 am by Jenn »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 12:39:52 pm »
Actually, I think it makes him more of a hypocrite than usual. One, nothing on BET says "nigger" more than McGruder's "Boondocks". Two, if you despise the station so much, stop working with one of the station's top dogs. Don't get me wrong, I laughed myself (especially at "complain to someone who gives a f*ck"), but let's not act like McGruder didn't thank the Gods of TV Cartooning for Reggie Hudlin and his connections - bookwise and now.

Most of the N-bombs in any given episode come out of Riley's(a pre-teen) mouth. Dude managed to work without the N-word with the Newspaper strip, but now on cable he can't get enough of it. He's noone to talk.

McGruder was bashing BET BEFORE the dogpile started. He wasn't going to drop BET bashing now that's its the in thing among the Kente Klan(even if the criticisms are no longer valid) .

This way he can be topical without having to think much. I love the show myself but dude just went for the easy target there.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:30:12 am by Vic Vega »

Jenn

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 01:12:16 pm »
Dude managed to work without the N-word with the Newspaper strip, but now on cable he can't get enought of it.

That's what really kills me. I remember being in boot camp and begging my mom to clip "Boondocks" and send them to me in the mail (this was back in '99). I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited when the cartoon came out, and then I saw it and it was like...WTF? It wasn't like I couldn't "handle" it, so to speak. It was just so gratuitous that it drove me nuts. I gave it three eps and bounced. I have the first season on DVD (it was a gift) and I'll watch it...someday...if I get really bored. Actually McGruder's tsking and pompousness turned me off the comic, when it became the Huey and Michael Show. 

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 02:11:47 pm »
http://themessageshow.blogspot.com/2008/01/boondocks-versus-bet-and-why-aaron.html

My long take on the matter.

--------------------
Great stuff. If we can get some of that over here that would be great. Good looking jen.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 02:26:27 pm »
Dude managed to work without the N-word with the Newspaper strip, but now on cable he can't get enought of it.

That's what really kills me. I remember being in boot camp and begging my mom to clip "Boondocks" and send them to me in the mail (this was back in '99). I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited when the cartoon came out, and then I saw it and it was like...WTF? It wasn't like I couldn't "handle" it, so to speak. It was just so gratuitous that it drove me nuts. I gave it three eps and bounced. I have the first season on DVD (it was a gift) and I'll watch it...someday...if I get really bored. Actually McGruder's tsking and pompousness turned me off the comic, when it became the Huey and Michael Show. 

The syndicate wasn't all that happy with it either, IRRC. Once Mike got on the scene in the strip, we didn't get as much of the other characters anymore and the strip got less funny as a direct result. There's a reason he hasn't shown up on the cartoon yet.

A rule of thumb, any episode featuring Grandad is probably a good one, in my opinion. 

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 09:33:15 am »
It's just a funny cartoon, enjoy, damn

Pretty much. BET is not above being lampooned.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 02:25:14 pm »
I've re-read the comments and besides one opinion stating that the Dr. Evil persona given Debra Lee was a bit much we all thought the clips were hilarious. As a matter fact, while 'The audacity of hope" seemed like a good mantra for the New Year; I am going with " Complain To somebody who gives a !@#$" as my motto of the year!

I want to see The Boondocks and McGruder get challenged and Reggie has the means and creativity to do it. It should bring the best out of both creative forces.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 03:46:10 pm »
I've re-read the comments and besides one opinion stating that the Dr. Evil persona given Debra Lee was a bit much we all thought the clips were hilarious. As a matter fact, while 'The audacity of hope" seemed like a good mantra for the New Year; I am going with " Complain To somebody who gives a !@#$" as my motto of the year!

I want to see The Boondocks and McGruder get challenged and Reggie has the means and creativity to do it. It should bring the best out of both creative forces.
----------------------
Yea jeff. I chuckled at it. The only thing I said was that the Ms. Lee bit was mean. In recent memory the only prominent black women I remember Black folks openly clowning on that level are Whitney Houston and Condoleza Rice. I don't know Ms. Lee personally at the award shows she seem nice enough lol but has she done as a President of a Successful company that makes her the lady from 101 Dalmatians? From the clips it appears the comic view comedians checks? This just in...struggling comedians don't make m/f money!!. All of your favorite comedians had very very humble beginnings. DL, Archinoux and Mitchel, Chris Thomas and even Carrot Top all played at one time or another my small town college. It is about the exposure they are getting who else is going to put there black asses on tv? Niggas and this new 2008 high mindedness kill me. Any way because I know half of yall behind my monitor probably call me the biggest Reg/Bet stan of the board Im going to shut up now. I mean I really don't care that much about the subject. Will be downloading the episode later on anyway. I will get up with yall later heading to happy hour.

Jenn

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 08:49:29 pm »
Any way because I know half of yall behind my monitor probably call me the biggest Reg/Bet stan of the board Im going to shut up now.

At least nobody says that you're f*cking the guy.

brotherkomrade

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 06:25:33 am »
Any way because I know half of yall behind my monitor probably call me the biggest Reg/Bet stan of the board Im going to shut up now.

At least nobody says that you're f*cking the guy.

That's what I call harsh!! Who's been saying that?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 08:40:43 am »
It did find it's feet later. When you get around to it, check out Return Of The King and The Block Is Hot. I'm looking forward to the second season.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 12:50:25 pm »
Why are y'all complaining and circling wagons? We know this episode won't air. It was supposed to have aired last night according to TV.com. But like a Zen Master will say, we'll see...

Give brotherkomrade due credit. He might have called this one right.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 04:47:50 am »
Can't open th elink, but that's a damn shame if it's true. Just as the various Cosby/Imus scandals have at least elicitted some interesting debate, I'd have hoped this would, even if I didn't agree with it.

I'm trying to work out Reggie's silence on this. People have talked about him and McGruder falling out, but this is the first evidence I've seen of anything like that, so it doesn't ring true to me.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo