Author Topic: Lynch Tiger  (Read 16005 times)

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Lynch Tiger
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:08:49 am »
http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1701417,00.html

Interesting this whole story has unfolded over the past several days and nobody noticed(cared)...

...Yeah, I love Tiger too.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Lynch Tiger
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:18:56 am »
According to Tiger he didn't care either.  To hear him tell it, they are long time friends and this was just a case of poor word choice without any malicious intent.

Sunjata

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:10:32 am »
With all the tension in this country with nooses being used against blacks, you would think she would know better then to say that.  She should be disciplined.  Doesn’t matter what Tiger thinks unless it was a private conversation between just them.     

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »
Imagine Tiger being Jewish and the comment being somethin one the order of "Golf's young turks are gonna stage a little progrom here today." and see what would have happened.

There's poor choice of words and then there's stupidity.

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 01:27:03 pm »
According to Tiger he didn't care either.  To hear him tell it, they are long time friends and this was just a case of poor word choice without any malicious intent.

I wonder what it would take to offend Tiger...

Online Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:36:15 pm »
on a vaguely related note-- does Tiger's Foundation have a relationship with urban youth golf groups/teams? just curious..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »
I thought she was piggy backing of her co-host's idea that up and coming golfers will have to gang up against Tiger in order to get a shot at a tournament and that is why she made the lynch mob reference.
...Rassclaat.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:49:49 pm »
I wonder what it would take to offend Tiger...

Messin' with his money. Everything else he just seems to let roll like it's on the back 9.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 07:14:15 am »
on a vaguely related note-- does Tiger's Foundation have a relationship with urban youth golf groups/teams? just curious..

I haven't googled it but yes Tiger does have an Urban, Dis-Advantaged, Low Income Golf / Education foundation. He stays away from the word "Black" (Even though in this case perhaps justifiably so) like an Alter Boy running from Rome.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 07:33:44 am »
I thought she was piggy backing of her co-host's idea that up and coming golfers will have to gang up against Tiger in order to get a shot at a tournament and that is why she made the lynch mob reference.

That's what was going on.  It wasn't a race issue, but jokingly about a mob of frustrated people taking out the number one guy.  It was a joke that wasn't thought through, but meant to be something like when the people of Springfield went to lynch Homer is the Simpsons Movie.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:39:44 am »
Actually going back to Imus, Dog The Bounty Guy this Tiger lady and beyond I think that "politically correct" speech is hindering racial progress. Let EVERYONE say what's on their mind and let's get to the heart of the matter.

Sunjata

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:42:39 am »
Every since the American media started there has been politically correctness it just didn’t have that label in the past.  One example is the adjustments that where made to movies to avoid offending the Jim Crow south.  Now that the American media has started trying to avoid offending minorities it is viewed as bad thing that must be stopped immediately by some.  Everybody just wants the same respect that has been given to the majority since the American media began.

A person on the airwaves as part of their job has a responsibility to think about what they saying before they say it.  A person that says something that offends a substantial amount of people will have to deal with the consequences.  This has always been the case.

There is nothing wrong with demanding respect.

“I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... all I ask is that you respect me as a human being.” -- Jackie Robinson   

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:37:21 am »
Political Correctness:

Stop and think about this for a minute:

No one (respected outside of their neighborhood) in America since George Washington has EVER admitted to being racist.

When I have conversations about race quite often I break my neck to say as soon as possible that I am racist, and I am. Am I violent? No. Would I pick a Black D-student over a White A-Student? No. Would I ignore a White old lady getting mugged by Black kids? No. Am I American? Yes. Am I racist? Yes.

If I say that Micael Nutter is the smartest, most honest and pure Black mayor in America, I see that as a racist statement. If I say I want my daughter to marry a Black man, that is a racist statement. There is another almost perfect example of what I am saying. The movies from the late 1920's and 1930's where a common plot line was for Mother to want her son to marry a nice Irish girl, or catholic girl...Within half a generation they dropped that European nationalist nonsense, kept the Blacks out of the movies and started calling themselves White.

But then in America, NO ONE is racist but EVERYONE wants to solve the race problem.

Stop and think about this for a minute.

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 09:57:15 am »
It's kind of hard to say racism played no part in this..I mean, she would have to be a complete idiot to not know that associating lynching with anyone is offensive..Furthermore, why would the follow up be "lynch him in a back alley"?  So Tiger should be lynched because he's dominating the sport? I wonder how many times lynching was referenced towards Jordan and Pete Sampras when they were dominating the competition.. In my mind we have two scenarios, either she's the dumbest lady on the planet or she knew exactly what she was saying.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 11:19:58 am »
In my mind we have two scenarios, either she's the dumbest lady on the planet or she knew exactly what she was saying.

See in my mind, there is a third.  She said it, and then she thought to herself "crap, that was a stupid thing to say." 

I have a friend who is currently in remission from breast cancer.  I remember a few years ago we were out with a bunch of people at a bar.  She has also become a smoker (makes no sense, I know) and I made some flip comment about how she should quit or it'll give her cancer.  I immediately was horrified with what I said, not even thinking that this was a woman who had just gone through a terrible ordeal.  I started to apologize and she told me not to because she knew I just wasn't thinking about it for that split second.  She was my friend and knew where my heart really was.