Author Topic: Lynch Tiger  (Read 16007 times)

Sunjata

Re: Lynch Tiger
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 12:25:52 pm »
No one (respected outside of their neighborhood) in America since George Washington has EVER admitted to being racist.

When I have conversations about race quite often I break my neck to say as soon as possible that I am racist, and I am. Am I violent? No. Would I pick a Black D-student over a White A-Student? No. Would I ignore a White old lady getting mugged by Black kids? No. Am I American? Yes. Am I racist? Yes.
Who cares if a person is a racist?  If you respect me and don’t try to stop me (or anybody else) from succeeding in anyway then you can be a racist all you want.  What do I care? 

We still need to demand respect.

In my mind we have two scenarios, either she's the dumbest lady on the planet or she knew exactly what she was saying.

See in my mind, there is a third.  She said it, and then she thought to herself "crap, that was a stupid thing to say." 

I have a friend who is currently in remission from breast cancer.  I remember a few years ago we were out with a bunch of people at a bar.  She has also become a smoker (makes no sense, I know) and I made some flip comment about how she should quit or it'll give her cancer.  I immediately was horrified with what I said, not even thinking that this was a woman who had just gone through a terrible ordeal.  I started to apologize and she told me not to because she knew I just wasn't thinking about it for that split second.  She was my friend and knew where my heart really was.
You cannot equate private conversations to being on television.  You have a different set of responsibilities when you are potentially speaking to all of America.

We are asking the wrong questions here.  If she didn't perform her job properly than she should be disciplined like anybody else that doesn't perform well at work. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:29:51 pm by Sunjata »

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 11:34:15 pm »
I have a friend who is currently in remission from breast cancer.  I remember a few years ago we were out with a bunch of people at a bar.  She has also become a smoker (makes no sense, I know) and I made some flip comment about how she should quit or it'll give her cancer.  I immediately was horrified with what I said, not even thinking that this was a woman who had just gone through a terrible ordeal.  I started to apologize and she told me not to because she knew I just wasn't thinking about it for that split second.  She was my friend and knew where my heart really was.

Something very similar to this happened to me once (or twice) and I'm sure many, many people have experienced a situation like that. In this case about Tiger, it's an even less severe situation and Al Sharpton needs to STFU about this pronto.
...Rassclaat.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 06:57:01 am »
I was at a gentleman's club the other night and the DJ remarked that some of the club goers need to start tipping the talent and what did they want to do have him stop the music and start playing cards? One of the dancers immediately looked at two black guys (was a ""white" strip club) and said "yea we can start playing some spades up in here" correcting herself immediately she put out a muted comeback of "or strip poker...yea we can play strip poker" I laughed like hell as I was probably the only one who witnessed and cared about her moment of self correction. So I guess she should be fired for being stereotyping blacks? :)

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 08:19:06 am »
In my mind we have two scenarios, either she's the dumbest lady on the planet or she knew exactly what she was saying.

See in my mind, there is a third.  She said it, and then she thought to herself "crap, that was a stupid thing to say." 

That's not really a good comparison. Smoking can cause cancer, but what point is made by saying Tiger should be lynched? When my friends are beating me in madden or mortal kombat or what not, my first thoughts aren't, man, someone should take him in a back alley and lynch him..see the term is a little harsh and considering she lives in this country and is over the age of 3, i'd imagine she has quite an understaning of what terms and word associations could be considered offensive..especially, you know, lynching someone.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 02:14:31 pm »

That's not really a good comparison. Smoking can cause cancer, but what point is made by saying Tiger should be lynched? When my friends are beating me in madden or mortal kombat or what not, my first thoughts aren't, man, someone should take him in a back alley and lynch him..see the term is a little harsh and considering she lives in this country and is over the age of 3, i'd imagine she has quite an understaning of what terms and word associations could be considered offensive..especially, you know, lynching someone.

For what I understand she was was just joking that the only way to stop Tiger is to kill him.  I'm not saying that it wasn't a dumb thing to say, because it was a very dumb thing to say.  That's what happens when you don't think before you speak.  But I don't think it is worth dwelling on because, in my opinion, it was not made with any malicious intent but rather a bad joke gone very very wrong.

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 07:27:29 am »

For what I understand she was was just joking that the only way to stop Tiger is to kill him.  I'm not saying that it wasn't a dumb thing to say, because it was a very dumb thing to say.  That's what happens when you don't think before you speak.  But I don't think it is worth dwelling on because, in my opinion, it was not made with any malicious intent but rather a bad joke gone very very wrong.

Yeah i can tell you i hear commentators talking about killing the competition in back alleys all the time

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 07:28:53 am »
Actually going back to Imus, Dog The Bounty Guy this Tiger lady and beyond I think that "politically correct" speech is hindering racial progress. Let EVERYONE say what's on their mind and let's get to the heart of the matter.
Political Correctness doesn't stop you from saying what you want, it just means that you accept that your words have an effect, positive or negative, upliftment or offence. Some people are not prepared to take responsibility for what they say, and so choose not to speak and just mutter under their breath about 'political correctness'. If anything, someone being too scared to speak their mind because of the spectre of 'PC' only serves as a reminder that most bigotry has fear at it's heart.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 07:30:55 am »
But I don't think it is worth dwelling on because, in my opinion, it was not made with any malicious intent but rather a bad joke gone very very wrong.
It's not about malicious intent, but rather about the subconscious thoughts that would lead to that choice of words being used in relation to a Black person. Unless you really think she'd have picked the word 'lynched' if she was talking about a White golfer. I can't say for sure that she wouldn't have, but I would be surprised.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 07:33:25 am »
Actually going back to Imus, Dog The Bounty Guy this Tiger lady and beyond I think that "politically correct" speech is hindering racial progress. Let EVERYONE say what's on their mind and let's get to the heart of the matter.
Political Correctness doesn't stop you from saying what you want, it just means that you accept that your words have an effect, positive or negative, upliftment or offence. Some people are not prepared to take responsibility for what they say, and so choose not to speak and just mutter under their breath about 'political correctness'. If anything, someone being too scared to speak their mind because of the spectre of 'PC' only serves as a reminder that most bigotry has fear at it's heart.

IOW, PC only stops cowards from speaking their mind. IAWWS.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 01:06:55 pm »

IOW, PC only stops cowards from speaking their mind. IAWWS.
Hi Curtis, can you please tell me what IAWWS means?

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 04:09:31 pm »

Sure, IAWWS = I Agree With Wise Son
It happened so often it became an acronym. You may see the occasional IAWC, too. That is if I manage to say something worthy of Wise Son's approval.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 07:04:46 pm »

Yeah i can tell you i hear commentators talking about killing the competition in back alleys all the time

Oh, come on now.. you know good and well, back in the day, people mumbled under their breath all of the time how the only way to stop Jordan, Sampras, Lendl, Sosa, Venus/Serena, Hingis, et. al. was to pray for an injury..

OF COURSE it was a dumb thing to say on open air.. but the lynch mob references did not start with the Jim Crow era, folks.. I hate to burst everyone's Willie Lynch-a-thon, but at one point in this country's history, stealing a man's horse bought you a one way ticket up the hanging tree, white, black, red, yellow, brown, or otherwise...

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 09:01:55 am »

Sure, IAWWS = I Agree With Wise Son
It happened so often it became an acronym. You may see the occasional IAWC, too. That is if I manage to say something worthy of Wise Son's approval.
thanks, i thought it meant, In A World Without Sin for a minute there

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 09:08:08 am »

Oh, come on now.. you know good and well, back in the day, people mumbled under their breath all of the time how the only way to stop Jordan, Sampras, Lendl, Sosa, Venus/Serena, Hingis, et. al. was to pray for an injury..
actually i don't know that, because i didn't hear commentators talking about injuring players..In regards to Jordan, they would say, you can't stop him, you can only contain him..I've never heard anything close to "praying for injuries" for players.

OF COURSE it was a dumb thing to say on open air.. but the lynch mob references did not start with the Jim Crow era, folks.. I hate to burst everyone's Willie Lynch-a-thon, but at one point in this country's history, stealing a man's horse bought you a one way ticket up the hanging tree, white, black, red, yellow, brown, or otherwise...
ok so does this little revelation somehow justify her comments? I'm quite sure everyone here knows that the term lynch didn't originate strictly for black folks, but the underlying meaning is there nonetheless..only black folks were being lynched for something they had no choice of...being black. Talking about a thief being lynched is somewhat ridiculous in comparison, unless you're implying every black person lynched in history was a criminal.