Author Topic: Lynch Tiger  (Read 15997 times)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Lynch Tiger
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 03:28:27 pm »
man... aint NOBODY conjuring up a white man being hung when the term "lynch" is used!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 12:10:58 am »

Oh, come on now.. you know good and well, back in the day, people mumbled under their breath all of the time how the only way to stop Jordan, Sampras, Lendl, Sosa, Venus/Serena, Hingis, et. al. was to pray for an injury..
actually i don't know that, because i didn't hear commentators talking about injuring players..In regards to Jordan, they would say, you can't stop him, you can only contain him..I've never heard anything close to "praying for injuries" for players.

OF COURSE it was a dumb thing to say on open air.. but the lynch mob references did not start with the Jim Crow era, folks.. I hate to burst everyone's Willie Lynch-a-thon, but at one point in this country's history, stealing a man's horse bought you a one way ticket up the hanging tree, white, black, red, yellow, brown, or otherwise...
ok so does this little revelation somehow justify her comments? I'm quite sure everyone here knows that the term lynch didn't originate strictly for black folks, but the underlying meaning is there nonetheless..only black folks were being lynched for something they had no choice of...being black. Talking about a thief being lynched is somewhat ridiculous in comparison, unless you're implying every black person lynched in history was a criminal.

What's ridiculous is trying to assume you know what the commentator was thinking when she said what she said..

Was it insensitive?  That's a no-brainer.  Was it a racist comment? No more than Halle referring to  her hook nosed caricature as that of her Jewish counterpart..

Equating my comment on her ignorance of the cultural context in which her reference was taken with somehow justifying her comments was quite the cheap shot, I might add.

I'm saying there is a bit of leap from ignorance to malice..  I can't speak to what was in her heart and mind when she spoke.. but there are more choices than "secretly hates all black people"

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 12:14:54 am »
man... aint NOBODY conjuring up a white man being hung when the term "lynch" is used!

you remember that salsa commercial years ago, with the cowboys sitting outside, and one of them eating the salsa from New York?  The comment at the end was.. "Cookie.. get a rope." or something or other...

If I remember correctly none of the actors in that commercial were black, yet no one rioted over that reference.

Again, at the risk of sounding like I'm defending the dizzy lil' chick that shot off her mouth...

On the grand scale of jackassery... this barely garners a rating of "Hymietown" in my book, and it certainly doesn't rise to the level of "nappy headed" ignorance so prominently on display last year.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:18:46 am by moor »

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 04:36:20 am »
Hi Curtis, can you please tell me what IAWWS means?

Sure, IAWWS = I Agree With Wise Son
It happened so often it became an acronym. You may see the occasional IAWC, too. That is if I manage to say something worthy of Wise Son's approval.
Oi, Curtis! Me and you are very much the mutual appreciation society. ;)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 09:19:28 am »

Oh, come on now.. you know good and well, back in the day, people mumbled under their breath all of the time how the only way to stop Jordan, Sampras, Lendl, Sosa, Venus/Serena, Hingis, et. al. was to pray for an injury..
actually i don't know that, because i didn't hear commentators talking about injuring players..In regards to Jordan, they would say, you can't stop him, you can only contain him..I've never heard anything close to "praying for injuries" for players.

OF COURSE it was a dumb thing to say on open air.. but the lynch mob references did not start with the Jim Crow era, folks.. I hate to burst everyone's Willie Lynch-a-thon, but at one point in this country's history, stealing a man's horse bought you a one way ticket up the hanging tree, white, black, red, yellow, brown, or otherwise...
ok so does this little revelation somehow justify her comments? I'm quite sure everyone here knows that the term lynch didn't originate strictly for black folks, but the underlying meaning is there nonetheless..only black folks were being lynched for something they had no choice of...being black. Talking about a thief being lynched is somewhat ridiculous in comparison, unless you're implying every black person lynched in history was a criminal.
What's ridiculous is trying to assume you know what the commentator was thinking when she said what she said..

I don't have to assume what she was thinking..she flat out said it on national tv.

Was it insensitive?  That's a no-brainer.  Was it a racist comment? No more than Halle referring to  her hook nosed caricature as that of her Jewish counterpart..

I'm going to have to disagree here..I don't here people going around talking about lynching people just for the hell of it..Normally lynching is associated with the hundreds upon hundreds of our ancestors being lynched for no reason other than racism. Going by your comments, the Jena boys should've taken that noose with a chuckle and a thumbs up..

Equating my comment on her ignorance of the cultural context in which her reference was taken with somehow justifying her comments was quite the cheap shot, I might add.
It sounded like a justification to me, unless you actually believe this lady literally woke up yesterday and have no clue about the history of this country or what lynching means in regards to our people..if she's that ignorant, then her ignorance is of a new breed
I'm saying there is a bit of leap from ignorance to malice..  I can't speak to what was in her heart and mind when she spoke.. but there are more choices than "secretly hates all black people"
who said she "secretly hates all black people"? If she felt that way, i doubt she'd say it on national tv anyway, but saying something as disrepectful as "lynch him in a back alley"  is coming pretty close.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 11:40:35 am »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 02:29:33 pm »
http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/sayitloud/kane117

The world calls him Black but he can afford to ignore that: The American dream? A dream/nation where in spite of centuries of killing each other's children in Europe, Slavic Europeans could claim the same heritage as Nordic Europeans just as long as we were called Black. But again, he can afford to ignore that.

Sunjata

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 09:32:41 am »
This guy gets fired but the one that started the whole controversy doesn’t.  Strange world we live in.  ::)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/18/sports/main3727596.shtml

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 08:56:57 am »
This guy gets fired but the one that started the whole controversy doesn’t.  Strange world we live in.  ::)

Oh, I dunno. Seems about right to me. There's a difference between a spontaneous mistake and a considered choice. Tighlman issued apologies right away and got a two-week suspension. I guess the editor at the magazine took one for the team. I wonder who was in on making the decision to put a noose on the cover.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 01:05:09 pm »
it's a weekly mag...
so by the time the mag came out, the story had died down.
"people" are upset because the "non-issue" is being brought back to the forefront.
y'all know there isn't anything racist or malicious about lynchin' or hangmen nooses.
jeeez!
just let the white people bury this situation that they created for themselves.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Sunjata

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 10:28:58 am »

Oh, I dunno. Seems about right to me. There's a difference between a spontaneous mistake and a considered choice. Tighlman issued apologies right away and got a two-week suspension. I guess the editor at the magazine took one for the team. I wonder who was in on making the decision to put a noose on the cover.

The thing that really gets me is that is does not seem to be the image of the noose that bothered the readership of this magazines.  It was the idea of keeping this topic alive that bothered them. 

This incident could have been used to discuss the boarder issue of racism in golf instead it is going to be swept under the rug.  The golf world is very uncomfortable with discussing anything about race because it would mean explaining the barriers that have been erected in an attempt to keep the sport the way most involved like it and suppressing progressive change.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 11:13:06 am »

[/quote]
The thing that really gets me is that is does not seem to be the image of the noose that bothered the readership of this magazines.  It was the idea of keeping this topic alive that bothered them. 

[/quote]

Yup.
Co-signage.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 11:34:01 pm »
http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1705630,00.html

Tiger finally made a public statement. Primarily he stuck with his friend, the woman who made the statement. I have to say I rather admire this, sticking by a friend.

It's the race neutral thing that I can't buy into. It does seem to be the ideal state of mind to be race neutral just as Americans, have become nationalist neutral as compared to Canada. But over and over again I see Blacks on the short end of the stick. Some of you may know that Philly just passed an, in essence, Affirmative Action plan for what we call the 'trade unions'. Basically people who build buildings from the carpenter to the electrician. They hire young kids who barely finished high school and have no prospect for college and probably have had a run in or two with the law, even if it was a cop turning a blind eye. These kids are set up with $50 an hour jobs. These kids can be from the age of 18-25. Of course they can stay with these jobs for life and move to the suburbs, which is actually what first drew the attention of City Council: They were from the suburbs, not the city...oh, and they were ALL white

I propose that I can offer an infinity of examples from Sunday 11AM to Saturday Night Live. But Tiger, with his firm foundation, can pick his own path and perhaps he sees a higher plane...I just don't see it.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 06:13:11 pm »
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/24/jim-brown-thinks-tiger-woods-is-too-politically-correct/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Now Jim Brown weighs in with a "Tiger" opinion. This particular piece has a comment section and overwhelmingly the opinion is for Jim Brown to get over his racist ways and maybe even follow Tiger's "higher plain" example. In one comment it was stated that even (white) horse thieves were lynched.

As if a history has been created where Blacks were always equal...As if we didn't matter at all (For good or evil). Just call it equal and apply for a loan like in 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010...

On paper, since 1776, it's always been equal and now even if you have enough money you can say that you're not Black or Negro at all...Progress?

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:14 pm »
Imitation Of Life

The great movie originally starring Claudette Colbert but perhaps more importantly there was an actress named Fredi Washington. Fredi was the actress who played the light skinned Black who tried to pass for White...Fredi, as was the case for the father of (ex) Philly mayor John Street, in real life consciously chose to go Black. Still though it's an old story isn't it, generation after generation, century after century: A Black person ashamed to be Black.

If not for the fame of his brothers and parents would not Michael Jackson be at the forefront of claiming to be "Jackblasian". In my own life I knew a very dark skinned girl (with a lot of make-up) and a strong American accent claiming to be Trinidadian and explicitly claimed she was not Black. No surprise, look at any dating site from love @ aol . com to match . com look at the percentage of people, that any cop would classify as Black, claiming to be ANYTHING but Black. Isn't it an open secret that any successful Black publication that started before 1970 earned their first million from advertising hair straightening grease and skin lightening cream.

The difference between the claimed identities of Barack Obama and Tiger Woods perhaps deserves a bigger 'microscope' than is currently the case. Obama proudly claims his Black roots and identity: He walks Black, talks Black, marries Black, jokes black and calls himself Black...as if he is proud. He is embraced by millions beginning with his family, his state, his nation and the world. This admiration for Obama will obviously survive any forseeable failure.

Tiger proudly claims to be Amerblasian which has no specific roots and/or identity and any cop would classify him as Black: He walks White, talks White, marries White, jokes White and calls himself Amerblasian...as if he is ashamed. He is embraced by those who every once in a while mention lynch and fried chicken and is only appreciated by his sponsors as few others know how to address him...Whether to tell a "Little Rascals" joke which belittles Blacks (As he once did) or to promote Ron Paul over...well, over Barack Obama.

But in a sad imitation of life the saddest thing of all was that I once wanted to be Amerblasian. I once preferred Negro over Black and am still searching for my African American roots, Colored by a prayer for a rich Nubian history. I'm still not clear which way is up but I clearly remember that as a child I wanted to be White...I wanted to be so rich that I wouldn't have to grow up in the real world, like Tiger and his imitation of life.