Author Topic: Cloverfield / Blair Witch  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Cloverfield / Blair Witch
« on: January 21, 2008, 02:12:08 pm »
Just saw the flick, "Cloverfield", It was cute and perhaps original even though the hand held camera was borrowed from Blair Witch. That being said Blair Witch has it beat hands down as far as horror and fear are concerned. Blair also had it beat in the "Amateur Feel" department. Yet for those of you who may miss the feel of Blair Witch (Which has never been duplicated, even by the producers of it.) this movie comes the closest I've seen to that "Blair Witch" experience.  Still it was a pleasant way to blow two hours. I saw it during the day, I probably would of enjoyed it more at night when, in essence, the movie takes place.

If you don't know by now, and not to spoil it, the story follows a small group of friends who are on the run through the streets of Manhattan. Among them is a character who earlier was assigned video-cam duty, a task he takes seriously when the plot thickens.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Cloverfield / Blair Witch
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:39:43 pm »
Wow, you sort of killed it for me when you mentioned "Blair Witch", Tanksleyd.  :-\

I hope it's better than that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:44:41 am by Open palm »
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:23 pm »
I thought "Blair Witch" was off the hook. It's the last movie that actually had me on edge (aside from the slasher flicks).

Beauty is in the eye, perhaps you may like it better than Blair Witch. Cloverfield is NOT a bad movie...Just didn't hit the Blair Witch standard (for me).

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:29:53 am »
IAWOP.  I thought Blair Witch's marketing campaign was the greatest I've ever seen.  It had people talking and made Burkettsville, MD a semi-boomtown with all the tourists going there.  But the movie itself... :-\  It was an original concept, but it didn't scare me at all.  Tank's not the first person I've heard compare this movie with Blair Witch and those comparisons seriously cool my enthusiasm for this movie.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:18:16 am »
I very nearly walked OUT of this one in the first fifteen minutes.

I COULDN'T STAND Rob and his buddies. I haven't had that much hate for the alleged leads of a film since the first set of chicks in Death Proof.

I actually hated these guys worse.

It got better once the $#!^ started but I didn't really like these guys. At all.     

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:28:15 am »
sooo... are you saying that you ... hated the guests at the party?

is it safe to say that if u were at that party, you would have left long before the "monster" showed up?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:18:00 am »
I just saw the trailer again...and there was this black girl with huge breasteseses dancing in front of a camera.  That's all I remember.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:30:08 am »
I very nearly walked OUT of this one in the first fifteen minutes.

I COULDN'T STAND Rob and his buddies. I haven't had that much hate for the alleged leads of a film since the first set of chicks in Death Proof.

I actually hated these guys worse.

It got better once the $#!^ started but I didn't really like these guys. At all.     

Hey, it's just movie, Vic. I hate those self-righteousness tv shows about the military and national security. But it's still just fiction.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 11:46:57 am »
I just saw the trailer again...and there was this black girl with huge breasteseses dancing in front of a camera.  That's all I remember.

You too?

man, and she's hella cute, too!
she got MY attention.

does she survive?
or get nekkid?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 01:36:18 pm »
If she gets nekkid...I'm there tonight!

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 02:03:01 pm »
If she gets nekkid...I'm there tonight!

ahh yes, the beautiful Jessica Lucas..she's also in the movies the Covenant and She's the Man..an underrated beauty

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »
no nekkidness?
ah well.. i can wait for it on HBO.
 :)

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 07:54:10 am »
Cloverfield was the sh*t, lol @ people still trying to connect this to Voltron.  Now the monster is a robeast and cats gonna have to go to ARus to bring back........................Voltron, defende of the Universe!!!!

Would be sweet, but not gonna happen, lol

PEACE
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:36:52 am »
Cloverfield was the sh*t, lol @ people still trying to connect this to Voltron.  Now the monster is a robeast and cats gonna have to go to ARus to bring back........................Voltron, defende of the Universe!!!!

Would be sweet, but not gonna happen, lol

PEACE

Shoot, it DID look kinda like a Ro-Beast, now that you mention it. ;D

I guess they could get Voltron in the sequel. That would be the most deliberatly INSANE plot twist ever.

Rob: "Lily and Marlena, left and right legs, Hud: arms and body and I'll form..The Head!"

GO MANHATTAN YUPPIE VOTRON FORCE!!!

HAHAHA

I'd watch that.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »
I thought "Blair Witch" was off the hook. It's the last movie that actually had me on edge (aside from the slasher flicks).

Beauty is in the eye, perhaps you may like it better than Blair Witch. Cloverfield is NOT a bad movie...Just didn't hit the Blair Witch standard (for me).

This film IS better than Blair Witch, but it also suffers from the ultra-realistic handycam. One good thing is it's a film where a supporting black character doesn't get killed. Right? ??? This movie was good. I can't say I really cared for the characters as we watch the Video of Hud. Much of the development had the usual horror film/survivor clich├ęs.

Once the JLA project is unshelved maybe WB can use the 3rd person handycam angle too. Just throw a crisis at the middle of some city, and we see the JLA sporadically fight them through handycams. It will cut down on much of the CGI, no need for heavy background music, and overdone close-ups. Of course, the enemy shouldn't be monsters.