Author Topic: HARD CHOICES: MICHAEL JORDAN OR TIGER WOODS?  (Read 6816 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
HARD CHOICES: MICHAEL JORDAN OR TIGER WOODS?
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:05:32 am »
Two of the best who ever done it.  But who is the BEST?  Notice I did not include Ali to remove the sympathetic edge.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: HARD CHOICES: MICHAEL JORDAN OR TIGER WOODS?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:42:11 am »
Wow.. That's a trip.. Not an easy thing, especially since it's different sports, two different generations.. Jordan was definitely a pioneer in getting endorsements and sports gear named after him.. Six championship wins..

On the other hand, Tiger came up doing his thing in a major way, since early childhood.. Quickly making his presence known in a sports culture that's 95% white (at the pro level, anyway).. Several tournament trophies to date..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:33:45 am »
Micheal Jordan. I think both excell in their respective sports. But Micheal's is more demanding, imo. So I go with him. Plus 23 is my favorite number.

Yeah, Micheal Jordan is my choice.
...Rassclaat.

Offline bmagee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:37:39 pm »
Definitely Tigre Woods. It should be Bill Russel or Tiger Woods, because Bill won 11 championships compared to MJ's 6.

Ben

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:39:29 pm »
MJ paved the way for Tiger so I say MJ

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:24:50 pm »
Hank Aaron?

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 05:41:42 pm »

Tiger. 

If All You Do Is What You've Done, Then All You'll Get Is What You've Got.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 06:00:09 pm »
Funny you should bring this up now, I just read a column somewhere saying Tiger was the best individual athlete ever. 
Here it is:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2555909

I'll go with Tiger over MJ.  Even though the cross-sport comparison is almost absurd.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 11:51:43 pm »
Jordan, no doubt.

Come fly with me

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 04:06:52 am »
Well, Tiger gets props for bringing some much needed colour to the world of golf, and his complete domination.

However.
No one can convince me golf is a sport, so it's Jordan for me. :P

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 04:39:58 am »
I agree We all know Tiger is a Bad Boy....in Golf but Basketball, Football, Baseball, and other "Physical" sports require a different level of training which Golf doesn't alot of those golfers look like they get off the couch and go play a few rounds the caddy gets more of a workout than they do!

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 07:41:40 pm »
Two of the best who ever done it.  But who is the BEST?  Notice I did not include Ali to remove the sympathetic edge.

Uhhhh. Don't they play different sports? What's the criteria here?

I know Jordan loves golf, but still...
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 03:45:32 pm »
yall know yall are some out of sight out of mind folks. mj all day

mj is the greatest athlete ever. remember besides dominating the hell out of basketball

he had a brief baseball career. yea he was in the minors but he could hit the ball better then you and i.

and he is a better then average golf player who many have said his golf handicap could have him on the professional golf level. you all do know there are club pros. something like a paid semi pro golf league.

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 10:44:03 pm »
I agree We all know Tiger is a Bad Boy....in Golf but Basketball, Football, Baseball, and other "Physical" sports require a different level of training which Golf doesn't alot of those golfers look like they get off the couch and go play a few rounds the caddy gets more of a workout than they do!

golf and b-ball (plus other sports)  have a lot in common.  you gotta be in shape to play both sports (do not think golf is less phsyical then other sports, when you gotta walk the entire length of a golf course in the blazin heat)  you gotta be mentally prepared to battle your opponents, battle the playing field and put your gameface on to play.   This choice is not as easy as a lot of us think.  MJ is the MAN and Tiger is the MAN.  My vote, despite my chi-town pass maybe revoked very soon, is Tiger.  Tiger has done in the sport of golf that has not been done EVER; he has influenced the entire world to bear witness the greatness of his ability to dominate the sport of golf or sports in general, like Ali.  Dr J passed the mantle to MJ (B4 DrJ is was Wilt Chamberlain) and MJ broke the b-ball barrier with his ability and it took number of years for MJ to be considered the greatest.  After Tiger broke into golf, he was glorified as becoming the greatest golfer. 

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 02:11:50 pm »
And MJ wasn't? people who hadn't watched an NBA game would see a Jordan highlight clip and would be amazed at seeing this guy fly through the air correction GLIDE through the air Golf to me is still an elitist sport with some Country Clubs still prohibiting Minority memberships I see Tiger on a highlight reel because the game is BORING!!!!! but let ESPN classic show an old Dunking contest or game? zulu you  know damndiddly well that you will check that out !