Author Topic: HARD CHOICES: MICHAEL JORDAN OR TIGER WOODS?  (Read 6510 times)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: HARD CHOICES: MICHAEL JORDAN OR TIGER WOODS?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 07:54:07 am »
karaszero agreed...executed a marketing gig at some of the golf courses in NoVA and they were very elitist at the wealthy golf courses where there are a very small # of Blacks and most of the people rode around in electric golf carts (almost no one walked at the six VA golf courses).  Woods is a breath of fresh air in a stale sport and that is his claim to fame (most of his contemporaries lack personality of any noticeable kind)....he has also won chamionships but does not inspire me to copy his game.

Jordan on the other hand has excelled in a popular sport with much more competition worldwide and he has been the most interesting out of his contemporaries even to this very minute...his personality and charisma outshines almost all of the players from his era.  He brought the audience back to the game (in a definite contact sport that goes beyond a small group who play it as their staus symbol to everyone).

My vote goes to Jordan.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 09:10:12 am »
Love him or Hate him ....He compelled you to watch him, forced you to deal with him and wonder?.......was it the shoes? is he a robot? #23 is BAAAAAAAAAD!

Offline Sinister8578

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 09:46:12 am »
I guess I'll go with.....MJ, but I'll hold off complete judgement until Tiger is 40.

No love for Jim Brown?

Offline Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 08:57:46 am »
A couple of things you can't do: compare the athletic ability. Compare the sports. Compare the marketing.  The question is who is better?  Is Tiger a better golfer than Jordan is (was) a basketball player.  Its not about who is in better shape. If you took both guys at 30 and gave them a competition of twenty different sports, Jordan wins easily.  The question though is who is better at their craft.  This is tough on so many levels because you first have a great distinction in the nature of the sports (and yes golf is a sport, I've been once to a driiving range, and trust me its a physical activity) anyway, basketball is team, golf is individual.  They both excelled in college they both have been universally recognized as the best in the game during their era's.  But beyond that you can't really quantify it in wins and losses or even in popularity.  Take the socail issues out, because Tiger's impact is far greater in that respect.  Cablanasian my ass society (and the world) sees a black man.  In fact they have way too much in common I almost wonder if they aren't the same being hmmm...maybe Supreme Power is onto something.... anyway with this question I think it comes down to pure subjectivity, and while Mike was a reason to watch basketball games, Tiger is the only reason I watch golf.  So by a .000000000000000000001 I say Tiger.  In terms of ability in his sport I think he has at least matchd Mike's dominance and Tiger has not yet piqued and will end his career as the greatest ever to play the game by far.  Whereas reasonable people frequently disagree about whether Mike was the greatest ever.  I say Tiger.  Although I never had a Tiger poster on my wall but had a few of Mike's.     
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 12:28:13 pm »
Now that's an analysis.  It's good to have you back even part-time, Cage.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 12:37:00 pm »
IAWC damn i been wanting to write that! but cmon cage if ESPN classics show early dunk contests, or the Bulls vs. Pistons or NY or Tiger strolling the Masters what would you do?

Offline Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 07:21:06 am »
IAWC damn i been wanting to write that! but cmon cage if ESPN classics show early dunk contests, or the Bulls vs. Pistons or NY or Tiger strolling the Masters what would you do?

No question I'm watching the Dunks, but the question isn't who is more exciting.  To go along with your example, my one time going to a driving range I wasn't pretending I was teeing off on the last hole at Augusta, but many a time I have almost bitten off my tongue trying to imitate Mike on the basketball court. Its a tough call but I think Tiger is a slightly better golfer than Mike is/was a basketball player. Slightly.
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.