Author Topic: Australian Open  (Read 2674 times)

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Australian Open
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:19:37 pm »
Anybody following this one?  Blake was dispatched in 3 straight sets by Federer, but the talk of the town is this new turk Tsonga!   Slapped Nadal around like he stole something, and he's been playing consistently, so I expect Federer to be in trouble..

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Open
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:26:07 am »
Now Federer is gone dispatched by Djokovic. Isn't it funny how we're shocked when Federer doesn't win. That's how bad he is.

I'd like to take a moment to appreciate James Blake. Here's an answer he gave after a match in Australia:

After beating Cilic, Blake was asked for the umpteenth time how much he would regret never advancing past a Slam quarterfinal, one of the last important frontiers left in front of him. It would have been easy for him to offer up a pat phrase or get irritable. Instead, he delivered the following soliloquy:

I'm already so proud of my career that I won't worry about it at all. I mean, to have been at a point once where a doctor laughed at my idea of being a pro tennis player to being in a situation in 2004 [with the neck injury] of them telling me I'm probably never going to play again, to be in the second week of a Grand Slam at all is something impressive.

To be a five-foot-tall, 16-year-old kid that was about 95 pounds, had no dreams of playing pro tennis, to be in the second week of a Slam is something I'm unbelievably proud of, the fact that I kept working as hard as I did to get here.

And if my talent isn't good enough to get through the Roger Federers or whoever else, Andre Agassis, who have beaten me in second weeks, I'll still hold my head high and say I'm proud of what I did, I'm proud of pushing them as hard as I did and being a part of these great tournaments.

I think I still have a newspaper clipping of when I was about 12 or 13 years old, when I was -- I think I was the Athlete of the Week in the Connecticut Post. It said in there that my dream is to play in the U.S. Open. Not to win a round, not to get to the second week, not to win, it was just to play in it. I've surpassed that a little bit now.

A lot of people would think that every time this happens it seems normal to me now. Every time I walk out on Arthur Ashe Stadium it doesn't seem normal. It seems like I'm still living a dream. I'm so happy and proud to be there. I know how much sacrifice has gone into it and how hard I've worked. I don't ever want to lose that feeling of it being abnormal. I know how abnormal my job is. I know how surreal my life is. I know how lucky I am to be here.

Complete article here.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:07 am »
Just a FANTASTIC quote,a BEAUTIFUL response.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:02:39 pm »
Good quality matches, I enjoyed this year's Aussie Open.
...Rassclaat.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:19:28 am »
Just a FANTASTIC quote,a BEAUTIFUL response.

Couldn't agree more, SI.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."