Author Topic: Black Panther 18 The Wedding  (Read 172998 times)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther 18 The Wedding (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 12:32:38 am »
That should be the next storyarc, T'Challa fighting off all of Storm's old paramours. Think about it, you got Arkon, Dracula, Forge, Loki... who else??

Wasn't Chris Claremont writing a Storm mini-series where major supervillains are chasing after her?
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther 18 The Wedding
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 12:49:53 am »
So much happened in this comic. I wish T'Challa and Ororo could have gotten more pages, but that trip to the Spirit World was cool! Sorry to offend Storm fans, but I'm glad other gods - especially African ones - don't recognize her as one. But to see that they're willing to commune with her was deep. Truly she is a daughter of Africa. I'm still hoping Storm can knock some sense into M'Baku (hint! hint! Hudlin!) and make him return to King T'Challa's good graces.

Say, why did Black Panther give his uncle the cold shoulder abot his father. Hasn't he gotten over his murder after killing Klaw?

Great subplot involving Cannibal! I figured that was his next plan, but you can't escape the mystics! This royal couple has got friends in the right places!

I wish the other comics could have a brief tie-in with the wedding along with the Civil War. I'd like to see what lengths Cap had to go through to get to Wakanda and his return trip. Or a tie- in in the Fantastic Four, since Black Panther first appeared in their comic. Many New Avengers fans are rustled up by Luke Cage's comments of moving to Wakanda.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 01:38:18 am »
I have to say, that was one of the best books of the year.  Very nice Reg.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 04:59:34 am »
Black Avengers PLEASE!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 05:28:26 am »
i agree i still don't have the black avengers out of my system. reg the minute bendis evens thinks about having cage out of the new avengers you got to do what ever it takes to get him as a regular in the black panther.

Offline DamonO

• View Profile
Re: Black Panther 18 The Wedding (SPOILERS)
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 10:26:59 am »

5. Triathalon... Y'all actually invited him.  If T'challa respects him, then I respect him.

To RegHud and Scot Eaton: THANK YOU.  You know why.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 10:34:10 am »
Reggie, you can answer this question (if u have the time):

Did you invite certain people and write certain comments based upon things said in the HEF?
Come on...you can tell us.

there were a lot of coincedental moments in that lovely piece of work of yours.
Did we help in any way?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 12:17:08 pm »
Once again reggie a masterful issue. The crescendo building on the cannibal saga has me on the edge of my seat. Who is the cannibal? The idea of a black avengers is excellent as well. I wouldn't necessarily call them "black avengers" as an avenger is an avenger. A superhero team that is part and parcel of the African Unions peace and security council, and that is financied by wakanda would be groundbreaking. I feel that the continent of Africa is not showcased enough in popular literature as a whole, as disease, conflict and starvation are trumpted over the tremendous accomplishments of our people. Africa is home to 1.2 billion, so I am sure there would be many exciting adventures for a superhero team made up of africans pulled from the diaspora. By the way please don't make a team of all african-americans, this would get old really quick. I could definitely see Panther sending cage to recruit  african superheroes from around the world.

Brazil : Martial Arts Master
Kenya: Storms niece (little windrider)
Zimbabwe: augmented super soldier
America: Cage
France: ???
Libya:??????

Of course you would have rotating members based on the different threats that crop up.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 12:26:45 pm »
And the pairing of Storm & BP is gaining momentum amongst the naysayers.....people on other sites (uncannyxmen.net) are admitting they never read BP and that they see his humanity after reading his title as opposed to assuming based on media speculation.....if more people read and then formed an opinion the world would be a more progressive place.  \

BP is my favorite marvel title ...ahead of X-Factor.

CIENCIANO

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 02:50:29 pm »
Once again reggie a masterful issue. The crescendo building on the cannibal saga has me on the edge of my seat. Who is the cannibal?

read the first story arc. BP #1-6 available in hardcover and TPB versions.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 04:34:57 pm »
god i know it's hopeless and i am wasting my time. geez those 5 minutes i wasted making that post but i couldnt take it. im over at comic book resources reading those fanboys reaction to black panther #18 and i had to sound off (in really tame way magic wand and curtis would be proud). i could not take the double talk and hypocritical nature of those fanboys just flip and take out of context the work of reg. my post:

Help me understand.

Straczynski portrayal of nighthawk as an uncompromising racist and the issue number 4 i believe of the african heroes confrontation of blur we all loved.

straczynski, bendis and qusada's portrayal of the united states it's current president and policies is seen as marvel's best work in years.

bendis portrayal of cage in new avengers and recently the falcon in civil war is loved and seen as the best look into these characters in years.

no one purchased priest's black panther or cap n falcon series now he is loved by all.

kevins smith and heinberg (if he is the writer from the oc) come from hollywood and are widely accepted.

storm was voluntarily left off of no less then 4 x-men rosters where she has not had an interesting or significant story arc in years until reg and marvel came up with the wedding.

forge kicked storm to the curb and wolverine kisses a different marvel character every other issue yet the thought of one of the oldest and noblest marvel heroes takes in interest in her (for the 1st time in books over 5 years old) and it's forced, racist and a marketing ploy.

reggie hudlin comes to marvel deal with the same topics, have similar portrayals of characters and a hollywood background and it's the worse thing ever?

what am i missing? you like it or don't it's your money. we all have different taste, im just not understanding the logic of the anti-reggie crowd on the net.

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:17 pm »
Why can't Storm visit Kitty? Her secret identity is pretty much el-gone-o because of the wedding. Unless she is maintaing American citizenship--she doen't have to registar.

Storm has already vocally objected to registration which means she will probably persona non grata in the US. We've already seen that foreigners aren't exempt in the last issue of Fantastic Four when Ms. Marvel arrested Silverclaw. The only thing that would save Ororo from being arrested the moment she sets foot on US soil is the fact that she is now a dignitary of one the major world powers.

Also, the fact that Kitty's movements have now been restricted as she's been confined to a "protective camp" would limit the time they spend together... I'm surprised the X-Men were able to bust out for the wedding. I'm sure the O*N*E ain't happy about that.

On the other hand, it isn't really possible for Storm to break the law...everybody knows her name and what her powers are. So really...what could they arrest her for? Disagreeing with the President? If that's a crime, then Kitty Pryde isn't living in America anymore.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline Jer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 05:23:24 pm »
BP #18 is the first issue of Hudlin's run that I've bought in over a year. I planned on just skimming it in the store, but the scene with Cap and IM looked interesting, and I liked the return of the Texeira outfit as T'Challa's formal duds, so I bought the issue so I could give it an honest read.

My impression after reading it is mixed. Most of the pieces of a good story are here, and there are a lot of nice moments (the Cap/IM scene, the Ororo/Xavier scene, etc.), but I think this issue is where karma finally came back and bit Hudlin in the ass over his reboot of the character. Why? Because every attempt at emotional resonance was undercut by the swiss cheesing of T'Challa's history.

The scene with Cap, Iron Man, and T'Challa would have been really powerful if they'd actually had the shared history we'd seen them have before the reboot. And, in fact, Hudlin writes the scene as if that history still exists -- but as we've seen in the pages of his own book, it doesn't exist anymore, so the scene makes no sense.

But for the moment, let's pretend that T'Challa still has all of his pre-Hudlin history, since that seemed to be the way Hudlin was approaching this issue. If that's the case, where's Everett K. Ross? I can't believe he'd miss the wedding. Where's Sgt. Tork? Where's Kasper Cole? And why on earth would Man-Ape be on the invitation list when he killed the time-displaced version of T'Challa and sparked a Wakandan civil war so recently? If any Jabari were going to be invited, wouldn't Queen Divine Justice be the obvious choice? And yet she's nowhere to be seen. Let's not forget Dr. Doom at the end, either. Before the reboot he and T'Challa were on cordial terms, but now he's acting like there's leftover animosity between them. Huh?

No -- sadly, Hudlin's reboot is in full effect here, and he just sidesteps it when he feels like tapping into the character's real history. That's nothing but a parlor trick -- lazy writing of the worst kind. Either the character's history was worth keeping or it wasn't. You can't have it both ways. And yet, Hudlin still tries to -- and in the process he just confuses readers both new and old because he can't maintain consistency even within his own stories.

This certainly isn't the worst book on the shelves, but it's still got serious problems, and I think T'Challa deserves a lot better. It's a shame that an event as big as the character's wedding had to happen in the middle of this muddled mess -- and it's even more of a shame that there were elements of a good story here that were completely overshadowed by the side effects of Hudlin's hubris.

Needless to say, I won't be buying #19. :-\

- Jer

Offline Lucas_Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 06:25:39 pm »
I liked it.

I'd give it 8.5/10.

Very busy but things flow well.

Favorite parts:
-Panther,Cap and Tony talking
-Xavier and Ororo
-Spidey and Man-Ape was hysterical
-Gorgon and Herc macking the ladies,you know how those gods and inhumans get down

I'm glad the typical super villains attack scenario was avoided.Cage and BP married in the same year,very nice.

Bring on the World Tour.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 07:05:19 pm »
*pats Jer on the shoulder*

thanks for stoppin' by... but seriously, let it go man.
if priest is cool with Reggie, then you should be too.
who said EVERYTHING was rebooted? :D
and just cuz Scot didnt draw 'em doesn't mean certain ppl weren't there. ;)

and yes...we dont know what's up with Kasper.  I've asked but we'll see if he pops up again.

last but not least, BP is popular.  Isn't that what we've always wanted?  A well written Panther being beloved by the masses?

I know that's what i want.
:D

Again, thanx for your time... and who is to say that Doom and T'challa will be fighting EACH OTHER?
hmmmm?