Author Topic: Walking Dead #46  (Read 3540 times)

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Walking Dead #46
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:58:35 pm »
No spoilers....

I'm done with this book.   Fonz just strapped on his skis, with this one.

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
Re: Walking Dead #46
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:40:23 am »
you're not the only one. After being pissed about this issue for a whole day and a half, I placed the issue in my collection boxes and I am stepping away from this title forever. I doubt that there is anything of Kirkmans that I will ever read again.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:58:51 am »
What's the problem?  I thought this issue was amazing.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:14:55 pm »
What's the problem?  I thought this issue was amazing.

Other than the fact that you've got a one-armed psycho, out in the middle of the yard, holding a sword to a friend's neck, and your lone sniper can't even hit him with a scope?

or... you've got the worst shot in the group on sniper duty in the first place?

or... you sit by and watch said friend get beheaded, because you don't want to open the front gate... although, you have a sniper trained on the guy making the demands?

or...  you feel so unsafe given recent issues, that NONE of you at least have sidearms strapped to your waist when said bad guy walks up to your front door with your friend as his hostage?

Sorry, but nothing about this issue felt honest to me.. just pointless, contrived, and gratuitous... I almost feel like Kirkman was so scared of readers complaining that the storyline had been coasting for the last 3 or 4 issues, that he felt forced to write this arc to remind us what a jacked up world these people are living in.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:43 am »
I'm still looking forward to more death and carnage and, I would imagine, the inevitable second death of trhe governor.

Like in real life, S happens (I'm too much of a gentleman to write that out  ;D)  If they had opened the door, they'd all be dead because the governor is a psychopath.  I've never shot a gun in my life, but under those circumstances, I'd think hitting someone that far away might be difficult when you add nerve to the situation (plus, it would end the story too early).

But come on, it's a comic book.  Far more pointless and contrived stuff happens all the time in other comics that we all still read. 

Offline Blanks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:23:46 pm »
I'm mostly pissed that since the book's incarnation, all the black characters have received the shaft, aside from Morgan and his son Duane in issue 1 (mainly because they haven't been since again since the Christmas issue). Let's see, two gay black men in prison of all things, who both were killed off, a black woman who is hearing voices in her head and who was brutally rapped, and now Tyrese who is headless. The one Asian character has been written off now for the second time, so he's safe. Pretty much, other the Michonnie, the book now has an all white cast. Even the town that the governor was at, was shown very white-breaded. Now, I know that Kirkman is not racist, but when you round all that up, I'm just not feeling no love for black characters in the Walking Dead.

Now, I was rather hasty when I said in my earlier post that I was gonna drop the book. I was well beyond pissed that another decent black character was killed off. I know that its a zombie comic, and EVERYONE is not safe, but the pure fact that every black character since the book started has either been humiliated/killed off doesn't set well with me. If there was some pacing, I wouldn't be so mad, but all the main white characters seem to be getting along all fine and dandy with all said and done. Yeah, Risk lost a hand, and Dale lost a leg. Boo-Hoo. Tryese lost his head. That governor better get his. Errrrr. Kirkman is not on my favorite writer's list at the moment, especially since he killed off the futuristic older Ultimate Bishop only three weeks ago in the Ult.X-Men title. I'm going to give the book up to the 50th issue, and unless I am impressed, I'm dropping the book. Its going nowhere rather fast. I want zombies damn it, not crazy humans! I can get that reading Marvel, lol!

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but I'm still pissed. I haven't been this pissed since they killed off Ben Reilly and made Peter Parker Spiderman again. And I have not collected a 616 Spiderman comics since, and that was over 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:46:18 pm by RADIKAL »

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:51:36 pm »
But can we agree that the writing - at least for the issue in question - was a tad lazy?

for a book that has generally prided itself on staying away from typical plot conventions... this entire arc has struck me as rather lacksadaisical...

I was never really for the the death and carnage.. but I did enjoy watching the dynamics play out among the survivors..  the first 6 issues of this book were really where Kirkman shined.. and I honestly think the book plateaued then.  If I wanted bat-guano mayhem, I'd just go read Marvel Zombies :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 05:53:20 pm by moor »

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:58:14 pm »
Just got this issue yesterday....

Jesus...

Alright, the Talking Dead was always a bit of a challenge to get through due to Kirkman's overwritten dialogue, but now with Tyrese, a character that was already kinda weak, imho, out of the picture, getting through this book is going to be an even greater challenge.  I'll see what Kirkman does with Michonne before I make my final decision.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:16:05 pm »
OKAY!

Just read #48.

Damn.  :o

Looks like I'll be sticking around for awhile. ;D

Offline Blanks

• View Profile