Author Topic: "Girlfriends Has Been Cancelled. Would BET pick up season 9?"  (Read 7576 times)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
"Girlfriends Has Been Cancelled. Would BET pick up season 9?"
« on: February 18, 2008, 01:24:03 pm »
Yes.
I love me some girlfriends.
Although this season started off kinda slow and depressing, it got better...that is until the strike came.
Now we don't even get to finish the season proper.
Mara Brock Akil stated that she wanted to do season 9...that was her goal... to have the longest running black show on tv.  Longer than Cosby show, Fresh Prince, Jeffersons, etc...

Alas, that will not happen on the CW.
Unless goes out on a limb to pick it up, I don't see any other major stations getting this show.

Would you watch new Season 9 episodes of "Girlfriends" on BET?
I would. Let's go for the record...especially if that means Toni Childs will come back.
Too many unresolved threads to just leave dangling.
I thought this season (season 8) would answer them all, but it only added new ones.

Will joan ever get married? I say no. she will end the show how she started.  Alone
How will fatherhood affect william?
Will the authorist (hahahha) ever write another book? will she adopt a child?
Will Indigo Sky have a successful music career?

There are more questions, but i need them answered before this show disappears...forever.

go to www.eurweb.com to read about the show's cancelation.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: "Girlfriends Has Been Cancelled. Would BET pick up season 9?"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:31:36 pm »
I always hated the way a Different World ended without fanfare and I have the same feeling about Girlfriends. I would like to see at least a finale as a proper sendoff.

P.S. I think the Jeffersons ran 11 seasons.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:52:14 pm »
according to the article, mara brock akil is talkin' to the network to see if she can get a clip show to commemorate the event... cw/upn's longest running show.

i, too, didn't like how different world ended... but honestly, they should have just made a spinoff for dwayne and whitney and their friends.  Different world should have focused on the new kids coming to hillman. 4 years and out... focus on a new group...4 years and out.

dwayne and whitney had chemistry, but by keeping them on DW, it made the show suffer because it took the focus off the new class.
shucks, it took several years of reruns before i gave the new class any REAL consideration.
BRING BACK DW...or at least put it on BET.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:52:31 am »
according to the article, mara brock akil is talkin' to the network to see if she can get a clip show to commemorate the event... cw/upn's longest running show.

i, too, didn't like how different world ended... but honestly, they should have just made a spinoff for dwayne and whitney and their friends.  Different world should have focused on the new kids coming to hillman. 4 years and out... focus on a new group...4 years and out.

dwayne and whitney had chemistry, but by keeping them on DW, it made the show suffer because it took the focus off the new class.
shucks, it took several years of reruns before i gave the new class any REAL consideration.
BRING BACK DW...or at least put it on BET.
I agree with you in a way but saved by the bell made the same attempt and it failed. I guess werner wasnt too confident in focusing on the new class. Lets think about this other than Jada has the rest of the cast of the new students had a career? Not really
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »
we're gettin' off topic but i had to reply.
just like diff world, save by the bell waited TOOOOO late to make the new class.
it was a last ditch effort to continue the brand...by keeping skeech and bellding as the link to the past.

in both cases, the new class should be introduced into the mix with the old class which allows for a smooth transition since EVERYONE won't be new. Diff world was heading in that direction but they just couldnt let go of the old crew....they should've spun them off.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 04:45:18 pm »
we're gettin' off topic but i had to reply.
just like diff world, save by the bell waited TOOOOO late to make the new class.
it was a last ditch effort to continue the brand...by keeping skeech and bellding as the link to the past.

in both cases, the new class should be introduced into the mix with the old class which allows for a smooth transition since EVERYONE won't be new. Diff world was heading in that direction but they just couldnt let go of the old crew....they should've spun them off.
True the topic went another location but a different world was for about 6 years or so. I didnt see what was wrong with the stories after graduation.

In regards to Girlfriends i tried my best to watch the show. But it just wasnt any different than the rest of the shows that appeared on UPN in the past.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.