Author Topic: New Avengers 22  (Read 33648 times)

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Avengers 22
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 06:27:14 am »

I've heard that Wonder Man is a definite member and rumor is that Ares will be too.  That ups the power quotion.

The addition of Wonder Man would certainly accomplish that (giving the new team a legit heavy hitter...not that Cage is a lightweight by any means), but Ares gives one cause to pause. If this is the same Ares I'm thinking of - Olympian God of War and malcontent supreme - could he ever really be trusted to be a team player?
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Truth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 12:58:01 pm »

I've heard that Wonder Man is a definite member and rumor is that Ares will be too.  That ups the power quotion.

The addition of Wonder Man would certainly accomplish that (giving the new team a legit heavy hitter...not that Cage is a lightweight by any means), but Ares gives one cause to pause. If this is the same Ares I'm thinking of - Olympian God of War and malcontent supreme - could he ever really be trusted to be a team player?

I think he's got it wrong Mighty Avengers will be the Pro Reg heros with a more classic flavor think West Coast Avengers and involve more world crisises and such ;while New or Secret Avengers  will be the Anti Reg heros with a more of the lineup you see in CW and will follow them as they try to bring down a corrupt SHIELD.

As for Ares there are theories like him joining the New Secret Avengers to avenge Hercules or somthing like that.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 03:29:08 pm »

That's the crux of the anti-registration side's argument. it's one thing to allow the gov't to know your identity and powers but it something else entirely when it gives them the ability to conscript you into service just for existing.

Hmm, you know this is sortof funny.  You do realize that this already exists in the real world.  For the better part of the last 30 years or so, every male has had to register for the gov't to have "the ability to conscript you into service just for existing."  At the age of 18, every male has to register for the selective services and with an act of congress, we can be drafted.  Funny, how Cap has no problem with males registering just because they exist.

I've heard a poster on another board claim, "draft during peacetime is wrong."  Technically, the draft during the Vietnam War was a draft outside of a true declaration of war.  But I think it's hard to draw that comparison between the Real World and the Marvel Universe. 

Marvel's America has been invaded several times.  Atlantis being the prime enemy, attacking NYC on multiple occassions.  Kang recently invaded and conquerored the US.  Dr. Doom's actions are technically acts of war against the US and in Emporer Doom he suceeded in capturing the US.  Xorn-Magneto captured NYC.  Then there was the Maximum Security incident.  So, this isn't so much  "peacetime".

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 06:23:33 pm »
ithe minute wolverine does a fastball special and cuts the head off of a sentinal that falls on to your house and destroys your comic book collection you would want someone to pay!!.

Well know that you put it that way...
...Rassclaat.

Offline Lucas_Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 06:28:16 pm »
This was the most badass New Avengers issue by far.

Yu's art was stunning and I'm glad he's doing the darker Avengers book after CW.He was meant to draw the Secret Avengers.

Very nice balance of talking and action.The Secret Avengers arriving on the scene was just badass.

This was THE BALLS.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 08:11:43 pm »
I heard,

That Bendis total mucked up the whole SHRA. But, as I read BP#18--I see the same thing. Maybe Marvel, needs to better outline the law. Because, as it stands Tony is making people with superpowers--the gov't slaves. This new development that all superpowered people, whether they are heroes or civilians, have to register makes Tony's argument lose its merit and becomes  a load of BS that is going to flush alot of people's lives down the crapper.

After reading the Avengers, I realized what we have here is not a Registration; this is a Draft, but instead of young men, the Draft is for all super-powered beings.  And in the United States, Drafts are both legal and constitional.

The more I read Civil War the more on Cap's side I am. These latest refinery to the SHRA just makes me back Cap 100%. Sometimes, legal ain't moral. If anything Americans are known for fighting for their values especially when the law denies them. So not feeling Tony. Mavrel is making it a one-sided legal issue and a one-side principality issue.

I been on Cap's side since day one, I just don't like how they're blaming the heroes for something at the end of the day, a villain did.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 08:24:45 pm »
i said it back on hefa forums vol I and i will say it again here. in real life i would sooo be in support of the registration act. yall would be to. the minute wolverine does a fastball special and cuts the head off of a sentinal that falls on to your house and destroys your comic book collection you would want someone to pay!!. home owners insurance will cut you a check but nothing could replace your valuables.

now in comic reality. hell naw. power to the people bring the man down. stark and ms marvel are real sell outs!! no justice no peace. ;D

Yeah, I'd be mad if Wolverine tears up my crib, but I'd be hella grateful to Cap for pulling me out of the burning building.  The thing is, the heroes aren't the problem, it's the villains that start the trouble and by focusing everything on the heroes it's like

SPOILER!!

Falcon said in issue 21 about what happens next when the villains strike when nobody's in position to stop them
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 05:29:09 am »

I think he's got it wrong Mighty Avengers will be the Pro Reg heros with a more classic flavor think West Coast Avengers and involve more world crisises and such ;while New or Secret Avengers  will be the Anti Reg heros with a more of the lineup you see in CW and will follow them as they try to bring down a corrupt SHIELD.

As for Ares there are theories like him joining the New Secret Avengers to avenge Hercules or somthing like that.

Thanks for explaining this to me Truth.

I haven't brought into the CW, but I could definitely get into a "Secret Avengers" consisting of those heroes on Cap's side battling a corrupt SHIELD.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 06:37:41 am »
Tony Stark is supposed to be a genius. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you threaten Luke Cage and/or his family, you're gonna get your @$$ beat.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 07:28:04 am »
Tony Stark is supposed to be a genius. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you threaten Luke Cage and/or his family, you're gonna get your @$$ beat.
------------------------
true dat....true dat 8)

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 09:52:48 am »
I totally agree. In the real world mutant and superhuman registration would be a MUST. It would be too dangerous not to. Then again, you can't erode one persons civil rights without it affecting someone elses. If you can register someone from birth then next they'd register people with HIV, people with known heart conditions, etc etc until eventually you'd have a police state. Not more than about 20+ years from where our society is right now to be honest. I hope it takes at LEAST 20.

I guess what I don't get about Cap's thing though, is what is their PLAN? I mean okay, they're anti-registration. Soooo now what? You continue to fight crime while the police and everyone else it out to get you? Considering that part of the SHRA is to train all heros to PROPERLY fight crime then they're almost redundant. I just don't see what his long term goal or strategy is other than resisting for resisting sake. Which is fine, but unless they have a plan to OVERTURN the act unless someone can explain to the public at large why is makes MORE sense to have people going out and fighting villians without accountability his whole plan seems silly.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 01:36:41 pm »
you resist until the pro-reg's see the error of their ways.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 08:25:04 pm »
Well Cap has been on his heels since Hill had the soldiers point their guns at him, if he has a long term goal I'm sure we'll find out in due time but right now the point of the resistance is to take a stand for what is right.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2006, 10:08:02 pm »
I'm waiting for other developments to take place. If Wolverine does find a conspiracy behind the Stamford disaster then that will change things in Cap's efforts.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:44:06 am by Open palm »
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline DamonO

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 03:47:02 am »
I guess what I don't get about Cap's thing though, is what is their PLAN? I mean okay, they're anti-registration. Soooo now what? You continue to fight crime while the police and everyone else it out to get you? Considering that part of the SHRA is to train all heros to PROPERLY fight crime then they're almost redundant. I just don't see what his long term goal or strategy is other than resisting for resisting sake. Which is fine, but unless they have a plan to OVERTURN the act unless someone can explain to the public at large why is makes MORE sense to have people going out and fighting villians without accountability his whole plan seems silly.

Let's take a look at it from Cap's perspective.  Part of registering requires heroes revealing their identities and abilities to SHIELD, as well as taking orders from them.  The current leadership at SHIELD is corrupt.  In fact, the director, Maria Hill, tried to have Cap and the Avengers gunned down in cold blood during an encounter in the Savage Land in NEW AVENGERS last year.  Now granted, Cap's identities and abilities are already on file  -- but do you really think he'd want to see someone like her with access to the personal information and control of the entire superhuman community of the entire Marvel  Universe?

Put it this way: if this were the DC Universe and Lex Luthor were still President, do you think Superman would give his personal information and submit to being controlled by the government, much less approve of the entire superhuman population of the DCU doing so?

I believe Cap does have a plan, although it may not be evident now.  Remember, the series isn't even half over yet.

Registration would be a must in the real world?  I think it would go down something like this:

http://comicsnexus.insidepulse.com/articles/49894