Author Topic: HD-DVD and BlueRay  (Read 2987 times)

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
HD-DVD and BlueRay
« on: December 10, 2006, 08:34:21 am »
I got my christmas present early a new hd-dvd player and all I have to say is wow. The picture is really amazing. It looks so good it makes my 8 years worth of dvd unwatchable. I watched king kong in hd and then tried to watch suprman returns on my formally stunning dvb-318 upconverting dvd player and it looked like hot gahbage. Any one else looking to get into the latest in home theater or are you all going to sit out and wait. What format do you all prefer or think is going to win out, hd-dvd or blue ray? Any thoughts?

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Re: HD-DVD and BlueRay
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 08:40:02 am »
HD-DVD. I heard Blu-Ray was having horrible sales.

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 10:58:54 am »
I just got an HD dvd.  It is freakin' amazing.  Blue, did you get the xbox one? I got the xbox one...

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 12:36:54 pm »
Aren't the studios split on which format they publish to?  I think I'll wait and see how that palys out first before diving in.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
yea sam x-box drive no brainier saved 300 at least by going that route.But with the studio split I think it points to hd-dvd slightly. Some are exclusively blue-ray, some are sticking with hd-dvd and some are both. The playstation with it's limited playstation 3 format I think killed the chances of blue-ray. Hd-dvd was the first as well as the cheapest. The x-box 360 was the first and cheapest console. So while playstation has 200k systems in north america x-box and hd-dvd has a bigger more dedicated base. I just wanted the new tech now lol. :)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 05:35:34 pm »
Here is a great FAQ on Blu-Ray/HD comparisons.  Pretty similar till you get to storage and number of companies backing or supporting them.  Also the prices are very different.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 07:27:23 pm »
You can play normal DVD's on an HD player right? I really do not want restart my DVD library.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:18:00 am »
Yea, most will have the flip disc with one being standerd 480p and the other hd. Yea even with my upconverting dvd player my movies look horrible next to the hd-dvd one. Gonna watch v for vendetta tonight. Still can't find miami vice hd yet.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:40:29 am »
I don't mind quality. To me it all looks the same. Heck, I still watch VHS.

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 05:15:04 pm »
Yea, most will have the flip disc with one being standerd 480p and the other hd. Yea even with my upconverting dvd player my movies look horrible next to the hd-dvd one. Gonna watch v for vendetta tonight. Still can't find miami vice hd yet.

blue, they just got those in at B. Buy up here...