Author Topic: BORAT: Sacha Baron Cohen is at it again.  (Read 10047 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: BORAT: Sacha Baron Cohen is at it again.
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 06:29:15 am »
Please don't tell me you're one of these people who doesn't get it? Like the people who do phone-in shows asking 'does Ali G demean Black culture'?
I don't think it's that.  He could have picked any genre to draw comedy from and this is all he can come up with i.e. talking slang, faux finger gang sings, wearing gold and track suits and adding insult to injury IMO. 
Injury to whom?  As Wise Son pointed out, Ali G is really making fun of wiggas.  But then he uses that persona to sandbag and clown self-important interviewees, effectively using their prejudices against them.  The results are sometimes spectacular but admittedly hit and miss.  He is not your standard performer when doing these put on bits and some people don't like that he makes fun of the subjects.  That is, he may not be your cup of tea but IAWWS.  I'd like to see the UK shows Wise Son referred to.

That's just my point as you and Newguy pointed out you don't find HIM funny it's the dumb assholes he suckers within the situation.  So hearing these observations I again ask Where's the talent?  Where's the jokes?  Tom Greene did this same schtick several years back except Tom was a little more gross, little more physical (in comedy), and at times was funny but like this cat I think it was the situation, not the comedian.  Tom went on to be in a few films and was only moderately funny at best.  I saw this dude in Talladega Nights and he ain't funny.

So I just asked a question.  The response is easy.  You either find him... or you don't.
The talent is in setting up the situations, staying in character and milking it for comedy without needing to deliver punch lines.  It's kind of like the interviews on The Daily Show but he plays it more deadpan.  You don't necessarily need jokes to have comedy. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 11:01:30 am »
It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuct!
The problem I had with the movie is that most of the set-ups did not allow the "victims" to be their authentic selves.  It appeared convoluted to me; ESPECIALLY the scenes from Borat's "hometown".
I mean……how many of them didn't know there was a camera on them capturing the nonsense?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 11:11:17 am »
Ali G is really making fun of wiggas.  But then he uses that persona to sandbag and clown self-important interviewees, effectively using their prejudices against them. 
The talent is in setting up the situations, staying in character and milking it for comedy without needing to deliver punch lines.  It's kind of like the interviews on The Daily Show but he plays it more deadpan.  You don't necessarily need jokes to have comedy. 

I guess I don't see it as that ???  He could just as easily sandbag an interview with another persona IMO.

And if all he's doing is staying in character well, then he's just an actor.  And no, you don't... but it certainly helps.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 03:02:14 am »
I'd like to see the UK shows Wise Son referred to.

They're not so easy to find online, but here&;s one from his UK solo show, and one from the show where the character was introduced.
I think this one is meant to be good, interviewing a judge.

Can't find the Tony Benn one, which is the best - like I said, Benn doesn't try to pander to Ali G, and comes out with his dignity intact; if I manage to find it, I'll post it.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo