Author Topic: WATCH THE CLOSING DOORS!  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
WATCH THE CLOSING DOORS!
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:01:45 am »
All aboard!

Every year around spring-time, School of Visual Arts would put out a off-campus publication for the graduating cartooning class. In the early 80s, much of the material submitted by the students was so irreverent it was hard to imagine anyone of them actually becoming professionals. Because there were hardly any  people of color in any of those classes, the theme of many of these cartoons were at that time immature, sexist and downright racist.
In all that garbage printed in Instructor Harvey Kurtzman’s Kar-Tunz  no. 9 – April 1982 was an exceptional student who didn’t go that route named Joe Quesada who eventually made his debut at as a penciler in Marvel’s  X-Factor  #87, a story written by Peter David.
Today he’s Marvel’s Editor in Chief. Ta-Da!
Several years later, another Instructor Will Eisner’s Gallery no. 16 – April 1989 featured a more diverse graduating class with much more socially consciousness themed subject matter in the strips.
I  personally remember a truly gifted and talented fellow by the name of Roderick Delgado, a black guy head and shoulders above the rest. [Think… Lebron James when he was ballin’ in high school.]
In the late 80s, DC comics initiated a program called BONUS BOOK, an amateur one-shot feature that added 16 pages as a supplement to a high-end title like Batman. I can’t remember what no. it was but I can certainly remember Mr. Delgado pencilling the supplement in Batman. His professional work looked completely different [read: worse] from his amateur work…why? Because many of the editors at DC were giving him a hard time.  A very hard time.
Simutaneously, another little known amateur entered the BONUS BOOK program named Rob Liefeld who had no formal art training at all. His work appeared in The Warlord  #131, the main section drawn by my favorite artist, Jan Duursema who is a prolific artist for the Star Wars series put out by Dark Horse.
Now, I’m sure there are several reasons why a young educated savant genius like Mr. Delgado failed to make it big and guy like Mr. Liefeld with no formal training succeeded. Maybe it had something to do with how the package was being sold to its readers during comic book conventions…?  Did it have something to do with color…? What I do know is that one of the reasons why those that work hard  stay in place while others advance almost always have something to do with relationships.  It was at that point I realized that DC or Marvel was not putting on many people of color.  Sure, you got catz like Denys Cowan, McDee and Kyle Baker kickin’ hind-part but man… I really would’ve enjoyed buying a comic book drawn by Mr. Delgado or a comic book written by Joe Illidge. So I stopped reading those books.

Ironically,  Mr. Liefeld had the advantage to leverage his career by also participating in a Levi’s jean commercial directed by Spike Lee.

Watch the closing doors…

----I said it before and I'll say it again...this is why I am loving Black Panther written by Reginald Hudlin!

EDIT: A couple of minor changes here & there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:48:59 am by Battle »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: WATCH THE CLOSING DOORS!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:00:37 pm »
Thanks for the love.

And that artist is super talented.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WATCH THE CLOSING DOORS!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:09:13 am »
Hey, someone decided to upload the entire &;Levi's 501 Button-Fly' commercial series directed by Spike Lee! :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:49:28 am by Battle »