Author Topic: Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts  (Read 1969 times)

Online stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:17:59 am »
Have read this title for more than six months now and it is nothing short of spectacular, graphically violent, intense and filled with dark humor.  Ellis's weak point is the fact that he has been late but when it comes this series is spot on and surprising.  The art usually knocks this book up a notch and tells a story within itself. 

The latest issue is top notch with Spiderman's villain (Goblin) returning to form and cracking jokes left and right (or was that a rant?) - he is credibly the leader of this post Civil War "hero" group.  The premise of the team is that they all were villains who agreed to have previous charges dropped if they enforced the Registration Act.  The current plot has a group of telepaths infiltrating their HQ to defeat them from within to some action filled results.

Ellis scores with solid characterization and pacing with Daodato providing stunning visuals to make this one of the best reads at Marvel.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:34:21 am »
I'm not a fan of this book, mostly because I was a huge fan of Kurt and Fabian's prior runs.  Fabian actually made me like Swordsman and the Radioactive Man.  There was just something I liked about characters trying to redeem themselves.  Heck, the Swordsman was basically a Nazi, and Fab got me into his "change of heart."  Now I have only read a few issues, but it seems that the Swordsman was back to being a total bastard.  I can't wrap my head around Norman Osbourne being able to run this thing.  I also am not clear of how and why Tony Stark lets this go on.  As Director of Shield, you'd think it might be something worth looking into when Bullseye and Venom are on the payroll of the US Government.

This might be something I would enjoy if it had been with different characters.  Or it may just be that I have grown tired of Ellis over the last few years.  I'm sure I'd have to pick up the book regularly to understand it, but I just can't bring myself to do it being such a fan of past versions. 

Is it true that Christos Gage is going to be the new writer?  If he is, I might try it again, because I lvoe the guy.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:14:01 am »
I didn't read the previous run, so I didn't really have a bias one way or the other.  But I loved Ellis' run. 

Offline Daoud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:56:46 am »
Stanley thanks for posting this topic!

Love the Thunderbolts.

I bought an issue after seeing a page on the net and have been a loyal reader ever since.

The page that interested me was where Norman is trying to convince Dr. Chen to continue to wear the useless "radiation" suit.  He asked the Radioactive man to imagine he was an "ordinary American".  Osborne then goes on to describe said "ordinary Americans" in unflattering detail "they think Hollywood is liberal" , "look at a giant radioactive Chinese man beating up white American superheroes" ;D culminating in "The uniform is purely for show. It blurs your racial features a little and appears to contain any radioactivity people believe you are leaking".

With dialogue like that, I had to buy it and I wasn't dissapointed!

American Eagle's beatdown of Bullseye was one of the best displays of a true super-powered being fighting a "normal" human I've seen in a while.  The displays of Bullseye's horrendous nature made his humiliation feel well deserved and the artistic execution was Truely Awesome! 

Reggie, good taste!

I've seen pages of the old Thunderbolts series for years and it didn't impress me.

I only buy and enjoy BP, Thor and the Thunderbolts these days.

Excelsior!

Daoud