Author Topic: Hip Hop vs America 2  (Read 8651 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Hip Hop vs America 2
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:35:56 pm »
I just finished watching part 1 and I can't quite describe how I feel about it. The debate was much more intense than the previous version and while I enjoyed that; it was the same element that detracted from the show. David Banner brought the rage that he promised in interviews when he got on stage but it wasn't forced to be contained  by Johnson's failure to moderate. A much better example of channeled passion was the debate between the pastor and Prof. Lacewell, although at the end I thought the Prof was about to take off her shoe and go to work on the good pastor. ;D

I am interested in how episode 2 will turn out and hopefully they were smart enough to setup a confrontation with Banner and Prof. Lacewell. 8)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Hip Hop vs America 2
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:24:12 pm »
i really like Lacewell.
she got up in that 'regilous guy's" azz.
she impressed me and made me smile.

cousin jeff tried his best but they all but ignored him.
banner couldn't control the HULK inside and it kept getting out.
why?  the african chick next to him kept "making him angry."

too much talkin' over each in the first panel.
kevin powell kept the 2nd panel civilized.

good stuff...i will definitely watch 2morrow.
it's been a good week for BET so far.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:20:58 am »
whoops.. .I'll have to catch it later.. what day again?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:53:28 pm »
whoops.. .I'll have to catch it later.. what day again?

It's on tonight at 8 I believe.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:21:11 pm »
I just watched the second episode and it was a vast improvement from the first.

I don't know if it was a jedi mind-trick or if Johnson brought out his chair and whip during the break but the second part was much better moderated. I found Banner to be a lot more on point now that his rage seemed to be absent. The mix of panelists in the first segment didn't work as well because of the lack of female presence but what the first half lacked the second made up for.

In the second half both Banner and the Pastor recognized the flaw in incorporating a feminist standard of misogyny and patriarchy and applying it to the realities of Black life. Between the yelling they were able to articulate the cogent point that there is a severe imbalance in terms of education, jobs and opportunities in the Black commmunity in favor of women that reduces the idea of male dominance to that of pure rhetoric.

I also enjoyed the debate between Dyson and the Pastor over the idea of " Ecclesiastical apartheid". There is a Biblical element that governs the position of women in the church that can't simply be reduced to an idea of male domination, the Epistles are a central part of Christian theology and Dyson skipped over it.

Overall it was a great show and the next segment should be about Hip Hop and finance.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 05:26:46 am »
i agree...but i was left wanting more.
i would love to see an UNCUT dvd with everything the show didn't show... also, i would love to see the audience ask questions.

the out-talkin' each other from the first ep's first section didnt make me feel good, but i really missed seeing dr. lacewell in the second part... i luv her...hehehhe.

the episode is online? grr...i understand why...but i dont really watch tv online.

good stuff...the editing gets a C plus though.  BET has done better.  Where are the Comic View editors...those guys and gals rock!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21:17 am »
I finally saw it, and enjoyed the commentary from all; I was glad the pastor from Boston (I saw him in an ABC news special about HIV/AIDS & the black community) was bold enough to point out part of the issue being a failure of fathers/men going back to the early post-civil rights era..
...the issue of sexism within church culture is more problematic, though not as clear-cut as many (white) gender-issue scholars would offer...

..more female voices needed, yeah.. glad to see Lyte in the mix.. would have been great to see lauryn hill.. jean grae.. queen la.. salt n pepa.. eve..

...oh, and a cameo from Mr. Reggie at the end! neat..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:19:50 am »
I finally saw it, and enjoyed the commentary from all; I was glad the pastor from Boston (I saw him in an ABC news special about HIV/AIDS & the black community)

Was that Eugene Rivers?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 03:57:42 pm »
I finally saw it, and enjoyed the commentary from all; I was glad the pastor from Boston (I saw him in an ABC news special about HIV/AIDS & the black community)

Was that Eugene Rivers?

Yes, that was Eugene Rivers. This should be a perfect signal to BET to continue Meet The Faith after the fireworks that took place here.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:05 am »

Was that Eugene Rivers?

Yes, that was Eugene Rivers. This should be a perfect signal to BET to continue Meet The Faith after the fireworks that took place here.

Check for THE TRUTH with Jeff Johnson, premiering this summer. 

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 08:30:18 am »
you already know.

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 04:35:02 am »
David Banner brought the rage that he promised in interviews when he got on stage but it wasn't forced to be contained  by Johnson's failure to moderate.
  No respect like he had for them old wrinkled white people when he addressed the disrespect for women and misogyny in hop hop in congress.  Gotta love it, he said Hip hop is sick cause Amerikkka is sick, oh so now we play follow the leader to the society ills of Amerikkka, I thought we as a hip hop culture was more of a solution.

man, I'm just so tired of this not holding THEM accountable bs heads like Banner always wanna come with.  I don't expect nothing from Tarantino, Schwartznegger and all them other cats WHO AINT HIP HOP I don't expect ish from white people.  BUT YOU ARE A BLACKMAN!  Like Melle Mel told me these new cats today done forgot what it means to be black.  Banner had the nerve to say it's just a song?  Are you kidding me?  And  your dumb ass did songs with Talib and dead prez thinking that would make you platinum!?  Bet that album sold more than this wack ish he got out that Chris Brown couldn't even help generate more interest.  How many times he gonna bring up that Katrina ish, he want a pat on the back, this ish was about hip hop not HIM.  And that type of ish he did with Katrina is what YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO, that don't make you special.  And I won't get into how he was talking over sistas being all loud and obnoxious and disrespectful...wasn't acting like that when he addressed Congress now was he.  Talking about we hate ourselves, I see who he has more respect for.  Yes I know he graduated from JSU (my mother and father's alma mater) I used to be pen pals with him when he was still paying dues with Crooked Lettaz and I expected much more from him, he needs to be Drop Squadded for real.  With all due respect, frak David Banner!

All the wrong cats are getting record deals. 
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 04:36:30 am »
Man I wanted to be on that panel so bad.  As a journalist what do I gotta do to be on next year's panel?

PEACE

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 05:04:42 pm »
Man I wanted to be on that panel so bad.  As a journalist what do I gotta do to be on next year's panel?

PEACE

I would really like to know how I could be a part of something like Hip Hop vs America, was on a similar panel out here in AZ talking about the negative influence some hip hop has had on our youth, check out some pics here http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=26515904&albumId=2572732

Here's some of the info for it below:

The event will be held on August 30th at the Tanner Garden reception hall .I am the chief organizer, singer, rap artist and CEO of Sacrifice Records Connie Muhammad.Sponsoring the forum also, is the United Parents and Youth League.
The purpose of the Forum is to examine popular Hip-Hop music and culture, to educate youth of the influence of such negative content, and to inspire those who want to provide better (cleaner) music for listeners.
A segment of the forum will be a panel discussion on these complex issues.
The following guests have agreed to participate as panelists.

* Laurence Muhammad ,Founder of I Am Youth Foundation of las Vegas
    * Derrick Thompson,Author of The Influenza of Hip-Hop (is there a cure for the counter culture?)
    * Patrick Muhammad,Minister of Muhammads'Mosque #32
    * Wisdom,poet and host of Vybe Poetry Night
    * Adonis X,Filmmaker
    * True Father Allah of the 5% Nation,freelance writer for Original Thought Metazine

The following are the questions that will be asked first and foremost.There will be a few questions taken from the audience as well.
1.What are the some of the messages relayed thru today's popular hip-hop music? How has the exposure to these messages affected young people in our communities?
2.What is the evidence that our youth are in trouble? Does today's hip-hop music play a part in this?
3.Is mainstream hip-hop music influenced by corporate America?
We ask that all panelists limit their answers to five (5) minutes, unless fellow panelists agree to give up time for anyone to finish speaking.We hope it will be a very enlightening conversation!