Author Topic: Spike Lee interviewed about new Katrina film  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Spike Lee interviewed about new Katrina film
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:12:26 am »
Spike Lee has a new documentary, When The Levees Broke, and talks about it here.
Q: There is a message in the documentary that Katrina affected mostly poor, black people. But white people were affected too, especially along Mississippi's Gulf Coast, and they aren't well represented in the documentary.

A: Well, I don't agree with that statement. We dealt with the white people in St. Bernard Parish.

Q: But the documentary is still going to spark controversy.

A: I did not manufacture the controversy. It's controversial when the president of the United States takes 12 days to show up. It's controversial when the government takes five days to show up. How is it that the Royal Canadian Mounties can show up on horseback from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, before the U.S. government? It's controversial that a levee system that they've been working on for 40 years was bogus and people are dead now because people didn't do their jobs. That's controversial.

More in link.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
Re: Spike Lee interviewed about new Katrina film
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 05:19:25 am »
Once again Spike is bringing the Pain! and also once again anytime he's attached to a project there are questions wether or not he's pushing the race issues and not the quality of his work

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:40:33 am »
I hope HBO Asia airs it this year. I want to see it!
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:10:15 am »
Spike does it again...he covers issues and events that many do not have the balls to review and brings vision and integrity to the project...do not watch tv but definitely support his project (would like to check this one out at a friend's place or buy the dvd).

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:29:46 am »
Spike was on this seasons premiere of Real time with Bill Maher talking about the levees documentary