Author Topic: White Hero  (Read 12632 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
White Hero
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:42:28 pm »
I was reading in another board how that no white hero could ever use the word White as an adjetive, the way a black hero could use the word Black.  For example, White Tiger has always been hispanic.

I even noticed on the power rangers that the first White Ranger was half-native American and the 2nd White Ranger, well, I think he is of hispanic background.  But the newest white ranger is a white guy, but his motif is the white rhino.  Also, I notice that most often they don't call him White Rhino Ranger, just Rhino Ranger in products.
(Of course this isn't the first time Power Rangers has raised eye brows with a black man as the Black Ranger and an asian woman as the Yellow Ranger.)

So, here's my question, could a white hero use a name like "White Rhino" without being viewed as a white supremist or at least racially insenstive.  Or does using a real animals name or if he is part of a color sequence, like the Power Rangers, permit the use of such names?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:53:47 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: White Hero
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:22:37 pm »
So, here's my question, could a white hero use a name like "White Rhino" without being viewed as a white supremist or at least racially insenstive.

If they were modeled after a rare albino rhino or something like that.  Other that that, it might sound silly.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:53:36 pm »
So, here's my question, could a white hero use a name like "White Rhino" without being viewed as a white supremist or at least racially insenstive.

If they were modeled after a rare albino rhino or something like that.  Other that that, it might sound silly.

White Rhinos are the name of a real and I believe fairly common Rhino.  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=white+rhino&btnG=Google+Search  It's also the name associated with marijuina.

But that was just meant as an example, not necessarily the best choice.  Another way, could a white hero be the "White Tiger?"

wgreason

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:31:09 am »
But that was just meant as an example, not necessarily the best choice.  Another way, could a white hero be the "White Tiger?"

Sure ... maybe one of White Wolf's love children ... oh.  and then there's the guy himself.  Not particulary white supremacist ... mainly another xenophobic Wakandan.

Offline pharve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 01:05:37 pm »
It does seem like the use of the word white as a modifier is kind of ridiculous. On the flip side though, I like the idea of the term black as it relates to Black Panther. It just sounds cool. I can understand where you're coming from though when you think about characters like Goliath and Black Goliath or even in the JLA, Black Lightning. Have you gotten any more ideas about this?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:59:27 pm »
wow...

when i say "Black Panther", the word BLACK doesn't resonate as race like it does with Black Goliath or Black Lightning.

For t'challa...it works.
Black is beautiful, man.  8)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Black/White (insert name)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »
wow...

when i say "Black Panther", the word BLACK doesn't resonate as race like it does with Black Goliath or Black Lightning.

For t'challa...it works.
Black is beautiful, man.  8)

(Now for some thread drift, but since it's my thread, I can do it.)

This got me thinking.  I've heard others mentioning that there were many African/African-American heroes who popped up after BP with the label of Black (Insert name).  Once I asked a friend (an African-American woman who collected comics) about things she wanted in a Black hero and one thing I remember is that she didn't want one with the name "Black" (Insert name).  But of the characters that had staying power (not the one shot characters), how many Black (insert name) characters showed up in those early years of the 70s?  Black Lightning (and his rip-off Black Vulcan), Black Goliath.  But the other major Black heroes of the 70s were Falcon, Storm, Green Lantern, Vixen, Tyroc (ok, he wasn't major, but I think he might have been my first exposure to a black hero) and ????.  I even looked at the list on Wikipedia, and there aren't alot of characters with the name "Black" (insert name).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_superheroes  In fact, I almost wonder if there are more white heroes with the name Black (Insert name) than black heroes.  (Maybe it is more common among villains?)

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:56:04 pm »
Believe it or not, I found a site that has a listing of mostly all comic characters....I checked the "Black" named characters and here's what I found....

Black Badge     Black
Black Baron     Black
Black Juju             Black
Black Lightning     Black
Black Panther     Black
Black Racer     Black
Black Talon     Black
Black Tarantual     Hispanic
Black Adam     Middle Eastern
Black Condor     Native American
Black Crow             Native American
Black Flash             non human
Black Bolt             White
Black Abbot     White
Black Alice             White
Black Axe             White
Black Beetle     White
Black Canary     White
Black Cat             White
Black Hand             White
Black Hood             White
Black Knight(all)    White
Black Light             White
Black Lotus     White
Black Mamba     White
Black Manta     White
Black Mariah     White
Black Marvel     White
Black Mask             White
Black Orchid     White
Black Spectre     White
Black Spider     White
Black Swan     White
Black Widow     White

This isn't a complete list by any stretch, but I thought it was interesting.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:45 am »
Here's D.C. Speedster White Lightning:

Racist super-baddie White Avenger:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/supremacists_azania.htm#White

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:31:59 am »
Here's D.C. Speedster White Lightning:

Racist super-baddie White Avenger:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/supremacists_azania.htm#White

--------------------
HaHA. The conspiracy theorist would have a ball. What is the poster name who used to post here from time to time and got kicked off of the rama for all of his militant black panther pro talk? He would love that. Classic.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »
that list is VERY interesting, catch.
i was shocked to see so many white characters.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 09:31:02 am »
OH schit!! Goat's posting in the politics section.. mofo!! he's fubar'd now!!  :P

LOL, don’t get me wrong. I am by no means suggesting anything other than just some outside looking in thoughts on this and it is intended to be on the humorous side, playing the devils advocate and by no means intended as degrading or debasing to anyone what so ever.  …. This post was simply brought on by the list posted.. and the observations of the irony of it.. after all .. Ironic isn’t it.. ¾ of the heroes or villains named Black ____ are white? My first response was WTF? LOL. but I though about it some more.. and ok at risk of being taking the wrong way and getting slammed down for even going here.. I decided the heck with it.. the people here usually have a good sense of humor and hell someone might even agree and if not well It wasn’t meant to be serious any way and in the past I’ve always managed to gain some knowledge and insight from others even when a post I make gets taken the wrong way. So ok.. enough qualifiers.. it is just that I really don’t get the whole color wheel division thing?  :-\

But (and yeah this is just some cracker @ss white boy’s opinion) and can be disregarded for the most part .. … (well OK.. actually.. some Cajun coon ass’d opinion to be more specific) and for some background Cajuns were the black men of France in much the same way the Irish are the black men of Britain, the Georgians the black men of Russia, etc etc… but that’s a different story.

I’ve always sort of not understood the whole WHITE/BLACK/RED/YELLOW thing.. In my entire life I’ve only know one person who was indeed White.. an albino.. and dayam!! He was White!! I mean as white as the background on this forum.. Hell his nickname was Whitey! LMAO.. ( what’s even more ironic is that his last name was… get this.. Whitley LOL!)  I’ve never met a RED man although my best friend is a native Sioux his skin pigmentation isn’t even close to Red? More like a tarnish brown. I had some Chinese exchange students I worked with back in College in a chemistry lab. They were not Yellow, more like a pale red/brown. In fact one my fellow Chinese class mates (a young lady) was closer to the color White then the majority of white people, no yellow what so ever I’m talking whiter than rice! And even most every Black man I have know as well as those that I consider very good close and dear friends aren’t exactly black. More like golden brown or dark brown in complexion. Now I don’t deny there are individuals I’m sure you could find from each of the so called four colors, and what the supposedly corresponding race is, that do indeed represent the so called labeled color. However it has been my observation this is the rarity and not the norm.

Having traveled quite a bit abroad the use of Black in terms of Race is really confined to the Americas. What I mean is for African Americans the word Black in regards to identity has nothing what so ever to do with color. Its symbolic, it represents so much more than a definition of a color. The word has been embraced as a symbol of unity, of strength and of freedom and civil liberties. The phrase “Black is Beautiful” doesn’t suggest White is ugly, or Red or yellow. It simply stands to imply that no one should be ashamed or look down on themselves as a condition of their race. Yes Black is Beautiful and so is a Rainbow.    8)

And lastly I do know of one (so called) White hero that is called White..
She’s right there in my sig.. “The White Queen” 

I hope I did not offend anyone by this post..  if I did my apologies… feel free to say “dayam Goat.. you Dumb Coon @SS” and leave it at that.. It’s not like us Cajuns haven’t heard that one before! LOL.

Peace yo,
Goat.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:14:51 am »
Goat!  What up, mayne!  Nah, I don't see any offense in your posts...I'm sure many of us have made those same observations before.  White people ain't white...most I've known in my life have been more of a pinkish hue than white...unless, of course, you consider the Tanning Bed Commandos who's skin has a more of a disturbing orange tint to it!  All these constructs of color shows the real problem....people back in the day that came up with these color descriptors didn't have High Definition!  ;D  They had like six basic colors and stuck to those.  Why do you think space men ended up being GREEN?  The way I see it...with your business you're bringing HD to the masses and are helping to dispel all of this color-ocrity (yeah, I made that up) plaguing the people of the world!  Good job, Goat!  or if it makes you feel better...“dayam Goat.. you Dumb Coon @SS”  ;D

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 02:40:04 pm »
You hurt my feeling you dumb c00n a$$!

hahaha...

not really.
good post, goat.
good post.

and Black IS beautiful.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 08:36:20 pm »
Last season on PR it was the second time in Ranger history a black man was the Black Ranger. Was pretty cool, too.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin