Author Topic: Bernie Mac bad news.  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Bernie Mac bad news.
« on: August 09, 2008, 09:09:19 am »
I don't know how to say this.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/09/bernie.mac/index.html

I'm completely speechless. Peace be to him and his family.  The world is a less funny place.  RIP brother.

Offline Cage

• View Profile
Re: Bernie Mac bad news.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:41:02 am »
Damn. Damn. Damn! :'(  50 yrs old.  sh*t.
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:11:33 am »
Not Uncle Bernie...
 :'(

I was so close to being able to meet and work with him on the upcoming film, "Soul Men."
*sigh*

Godspeed, Uncle Bernie.
You will be missed.

:'(

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 05:46:53 pm »
Sure, one of the funniest men alive. 

But that was only a part of it.

He was a real man.  Took responsibility for his life.  He often said "don't nobody owe me nothing". 

Hard worker.  Disciplined.  Thoughtful.  smart.  Insightful.  Cultured. 

Took responsibility for others.  Looked out for every single person on the crew, every member of the cast. 

Not a mean, dark person when not "on".  Generous to every visitor to the set.

Working with him was a gift, but even better was lunch. He would have an elaborate catering, real soul food: oxtails, lima beans, cake and pie - and he didn't even like sweets.

You'd sit there, eat til you burst, and he'd tell you stories.  Hilarious, genius stories.  Some real, some fake, but it didn't matter.  He was an ocean of comedy. 

His understanding of the human condition was laser sharp.  We never got to do a drama together, which was too bad, because he had the goods.

After losing Robin Harris, I can't believe we lost another master comic from Chicago way, way too soon.  Like Robin, fully representing the Old School.  We do not understand the depth of this loss.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 06:51:49 pm »
Sure, one of the funniest men alive. 

But that was only a part of it.

He was a real man.  Took responsibility for his life.  He often said "don't nobody owe me nothing". 

Hard worker.  Disciplined.  Thoughtful.  smart.  Insightful.  Cultured. 

Took responsibility for others.  Looked out for every single person on the crew, every member of the cast. 

Not a mean, dark person when not "on".  Generous to every visitor to the set.

Working with him was a gift, but even better was lunch. He would have an elaborate catering, real soul food: oxtails, lima beans, cake and pie - and he didn't even like sweets.

You'd sit there, eat til you burst, and he'd tell you stories.  Hilarious, genius stories.  Some real, some fake, but it didn't matter.  He was an ocean of comedy. 

His understanding of the human condition was laser sharp.  We never got to do a drama together, which was too bad, because he had the goods.

After losing Robin Harris, I can't believe we lost another master comic from Chicago way, way too soon.  Like Robin, fully representing the Old School.  We do not understand the depth of this loss.

beautiful brother, just beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.  I called my wife at work today to tell her, she didn't believe me, or rather was in complete disbelief.  I still don't know what to say. 

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:34:57 pm »
Forgive me for the tangent. When I watch MO BETTA BLUES and HOUSE PARTY I get chills while simultaneously laughing thinking about how young Robin Harris was when he passed away.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:49:48 am »
Be sure to check the tribute to Bernie Mac on the main Hudlin Entertainment site.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."