Author Topic: Another Legend Lost  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
Another Legend Lost
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:07:56 pm »
Issac Hayes died at his home at the age of 65 in Memphis cause of death is unkown.

This is just sad...

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
Re: Another Legend Lost
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:17:57 pm »
RIP Black Moses. 

Offline Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:47:42 am »
A GIANT. An absolute GIANT.  Sad indeed.  :(
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:56:28 am »
A GIANT. An absolute GIANT.  Sad indeed.  :(

Truly.

It doesn't get any bigger than Isaac Hayes. Nearly built an entirely  new musical soul & persona  all by himself.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:54:59 am by Battle »

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:56:15 am »
Chuck D's liner notes to Hayes double disc set

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Issac Black Moses Hayes R.I.P. from Chuck D and Public Enemy
Issac Hayes is my musical godfather ,simple as that. I've learned the great sense of humility from him as well. In growing up and seeing his records bought by the dozens in my household from aunts, uncles, and parents alike, it was like he was always there in the crib anyway. As a deejay eventually those same records found a way into my crates. The image of his bald pate and chains was ingrained inside my other siblings and I as we pretended to all play the music of the Theme to Shaft. Black Moses said the headlines, centerfolds, and Stax ads in the back of Jet magazine black folks portal to our own american culture. Well little did I know That i would befriend this 'hero on a first name basis, starting witnessing his estewment as a Chief in Ghana, Africa in 1993. I came readily prepared upon meeting him there, asking him to reminisce those STAX years both as songwriter and the artist.

Well the artist in him spawned the art in me. These songs typically make his Greatest Hit compilations, but then again they're the beginnings of my hip hop DJ roots as well as those childhood musical rompings with my brother and sister as well. The long versions have the ultimate breaks for the forming of the genre, Ikes Mood, Walk On By, The Look Of Love. His records have inadvertently spawned hip hop classics themselves like Hung Up On My Baby done up by the Geto Boys with 1991s 'Mind Playing Tricks On Me' and the break that led my Public Enemy production team to do 'Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos' from Hyperbolisyllabicsesquedalymystic. Over the years I've participated and worked with Issac on a few occasions like appearing on each others latter day albums, and participating in STAX museum activities when called such as when he and David Porter pulled me to the side during the STAX Reunion concert and officially named me a 'soul man'. It gets no better than that, Im telling you. So now I want yall to get a taste of what I get everyday loaded in my Ipod, and lets take this trip to Soulsville with Black Moses.
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali