Author Topic: Rumor that BET is Discriminating Against Black Women  (Read 45521 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor that BET is Discriminating Against Black Women
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 06:55:57 am »
What the hell?....

BET just got finished doing a Keyisha Cole marathon.

You dont do that if you dont think Black women aren't marketable.

I'd like to know what exactly consititutes "all-black" anyway(I'm just ASKING for a flame war aren't I? ;D).

Rosci isn't any lighter than half the women that were on Girlfriends on its later seasons.

This is so inane on its face, that I think that somebody dark skinned (or several somebodies) is trying to reverse-psych Jedi mind trick thier way into a job on the station.

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 08:07:53 am »
Wow, so on the "black girls rock" website that basically reprints the same dumbass, inaccurate article...the "hotness of the week" is a white guy.

It's a white guy every week. 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 08:30:35 am »
Wow, so on the "black girls rock" website that basically reprints the same dumbass, inaccurate article...the "hotness of the week" is a white guy.

Ha ha!

I love the post from the woman, responding to someone attaching a link of me saying the article is inaccurate, who says she trusts her own eyes over what I say. 

So what do her eyes say when she sees Jina, Toccarra, Daniella, Alesha Renee, Mary Mary, Keyshia Cole and her family, the women in the casts of COLLEGE HILL and BALDWIN HILLS....I could go on and on, but why?  She doesn't want to be confused with the facts.

It's also funny that a site that devotes that much space to encouraging interracial relationships would be so dismissive of mixed women. 

Not to mention...aren't most Black Americans mixed? Percentages may vary, but I'd love to see some genetic study that gives an estimate of how many folks here are "pure African" in the 21st Century....

Not to mention...race is a social construct, so let it go.

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 09:10:02 am »
Ha ha!

I love the post from the woman, responding to someone attaching a link of me saying the article is inaccurate, who says she trusts her own eyes over what I say. 

So what do her eyes say when she sees Jina, Toccarra, Daniella, Alesha Renee, Mary Mary, Keyshia Cole and her family, the women in the casts of COLLEGE HILL and BALDWIN HILLS....I could go on and on, but why?  She doesn't want to be confused with the facts.

It's also funny that a site that devotes that much space to encouraging interracial relationships would be so dismissive of mixed women. 

Not to mention...aren't most Black Americans mixed? Percentages may vary, but I'd love to see some genetic study that gives an estimate of how many folks here are "pure African" in the 21st Century....

The woman you speak of, Miss Pinky, is the blog's owner.  I think that research claims that 5-10% of Black Americans are are "pure African".  The rest are mixed to some degree.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:21:36 am by Hulkster »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:17 am »
And I keep looking for the "new report" that the original article references...so far I don't see evidence that it exists.

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 11:01:34 am »
And I keep looking for the "new report" that the original article references...so far I don't see evidence that it exists.

Same here.  They are also complaining on this site:

http://brownsista.com/reader-mail-where-are-black-women/

One poster claims to have read this "report" and that they report had an "interior memo" from BET stating that black women cannot sell shows.

Edit:  I found the report though I had to cache it to do so.  Scroll down.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:TRpaR7b3JK0J:panachereport.com/+panache+report+BET&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:15:23 am by Hulkster »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 11:50:17 am »
That's not a report.

It's a second hand rumor.

Not a soul outside of Sharon Carpenter is explicitly named in it(And even there they make sure to use terms "allegedly" and "if true" to cover themselves).

That's what got all of this started?

Really?

I'm reminded of that old kid's game, "Telephone".

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 02:58:22 pm »

Ha ha!

This explains everything.

The language used on the site; coupled with the pro-interracial relationship slant and White guy worship is reminiscent of the same self-hating, Black anti-Black eugenist that spawned Tina. I wouldn't be surprised if this Pinky is a part of that group that describes Black men as being DBR ( Damaged beyond repair) and  uses the term "Melinated" to differentiate themselves from the "common" Black women.

So now we have 2 anti-Black champions of Black women.

This is sitcom funny at this point. ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:02:18 pm by jefferson sergeant »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
wow.
these 2 groups are worst than the turkish board hackers.
ugh.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 08:34:28 pm »
Damn... does this mean I've lost my job before I even had one?

It is always good when wait and watch you guys posts for a day. Some how "black" the term in at least one post seems to mean light or dark cuz you know that's a good predictor of how "Black" we really be. Then there was a Beyonce reference didn't we just have a hoopla about her "lightening" her skin/picture to be more sellable. Although I think the whole point wasn't there were no Black females is there were not in lead roles which Reg quickly pointed out as a faslsehood again uninformed person with a keyboard
can be dangerous as hell.

When somebody(ies) says something that is stupid and unfounded pretty that is what is. I hear all the chatter about BET recently but in the end though some well founded Reg has a working formula and that's the bottom line...

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 08:28:12 am »
Interesting...

-and-

Looking at my Gucci*, I'd say, they're right on time.

Has anyone checked thier calendar? ???  This stuff usually appears right around August.  Like last year.

*Yeah, right. Me? A Gucci watch???

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 10:01:56 am »
the article states that the news is "unconfirmed, yet shocking".  Isn't that another way of saying, "the asshole who wrote this article is making sh*t up in hopes to get folks riled?". 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 12:51:40 pm »
What I love is that I name SPECIFIC people under contract to BET who regularly appear on our air, all completely verifiable...and no one has the integrity to go "oops, this is bad information, sorry". 

I guess they feel justified because there are some people on BET that don't fit their definition of not black enough.

Of course, if those same people said they were not black, those same people would be demanding that they acknowledge their racial heritage.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 02:17:43 pm »
What I love is that I name SPECIFIC people under contract to BET who regularly appear on our air, all completely verifiable...and no one has the integrity to go "oops, this is bad information, sorry". 

I guess they feel justified because there are some people on BET that don't fit their definition of not black enough.

Of course, if those same people said they were not black, those same people would be demanding that they acknowledge their racial heritage.

Being that there motivation is clearly slander/libel; I would expect nothing less.

The cowardice though to actually confront their accusations head-on once they are challenged with the truth speaks volumes though. Beyond their vitriol and hyperbole there is nothing left but delusion and self-hate wrapped up in a package of "Black" female empowerment.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 03:13:20 pm »

Being that there motivation is clearly slander/libel; I would expect nothing less.

The cowardice though to actually confront their accusations head-on once they are challenged with the truth speaks volumes though. Beyond their vitriol and hyperbole there is nothing left but delusion and self-hate wrapped up in a package of "Black" female empowerment.

You ain't lying.

I actually posted on the Brown Sista site.

After I mentioned there that Race and Enthincity were two different things, the conversation  veered to "HISPANICS DON'T CONSIDER THEMSELVES BLACK!!! WAKE UP!!!!" and went downhill from there.

The discussion over is so insane I can't even get any entertainment value out of it.

After a copy of Reg's letter was posted on the site, it didn't help matters any. It was all like "But what about Sharon Carpenter!!!" :o

Those posters seem to hate Sharon Carpenter and Rosci with a passion.

I just don't get it.