Author Topic: Rumor that BET is Discriminating Against Black Women  (Read 44781 times)

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
Rumor that BET is Discriminating Against Black Women
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:25:09 pm »
http://www.sohh.com/2008/08/ya-heard-blog-4.html

There’s a new report out that isn’t the best for the struggling BET network. Could the station that is supposed to cater to the black community be slowly veering away from black women as hosts in order to remain completive with other networks?

A new report has emerged that alleges that the network that’s brought us such landmark shows featuring all black hosts like "Video Soul" and "Caribbean Rhythms" is starting to focus non black talent because apparently black women aren’t viewed as marketable. Allegedly: Black executives at the network don't think an African-American woman can sell a show and non-black women are laughing and joking that they have a better opportunity for employment at the network than African-American women.

This unconfirmed yet shocking report doesn’t seem SOHH far fetched if you look at all of BET’s current female hosts. Sharon Carpenter, who is half Indian and half White, has been given a show to host (BET News). Rocsi, the co-host of 106 and Park is of Honduran decent and Julissa, the host of the now defunct "College Center" was Puerto Rican. At the present time there is no all black female currently hosting any BET program.

If this information comes out to be true it will irreversibly damage the already struggling network and could be the start of a bunch of lawsuits.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
Re: Rumor that BET is Discriminating Against Black Women
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:41:38 pm »
I'm willing to host anything anytime anywhere and I'm as BLACK as as the day is long ;D AND all woman So there...

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »
This is the most ridiculous sh*t ever.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:45:09 pm »
uuuuhhh REGGIE which??? is ??? I would like to think things fell in the wrong order ^^^^ :-\

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:47:39 pm »
You beat my post by a few seconds.  But I am referring to the original post.  It's inaccurate, but most of all, really, really dumb.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:57:04 pm »
You beat my post by a few seconds.  But I am referring to the original post.  It's inaccurate, but most of all, really, really dumb.

And I'm sure it's all Obama's fault!  ;D

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 03:57:25 pm »
Thank goodness. I think BET is on a lot of targets right now judging from the comments I heard Sat. night. people saying dumb things in relationship to BET seem to go hand and hand.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 04:32:37 pm »
i guess it really is hard being on top.

All this BET hate has got to stop.
ugh.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:36 pm »
Maybe just maybe CNN has more black women on camera and I bet not by much. Some folks are dumb as hell. But true to form with anything connected to BET it is easier to just throw somethign negative out there and see if it sticks. I see that BET has a new News program showing soon. Sheesh no one has said nothing about it. ::)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:57:21 pm »
Maybe these people can use the Southern standards of Blackness and list the measurements. Danella is light-skinned but just dark enough to meet the cut; I vote for octaroon or mulatto dark. 8) There's the amazon woman that hosts a video show and she is Hershey covered so she gets the Sojourner stamp of approval.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 08:16:41 pm »
the Sojourner stamp of approval...ahahahahahaha

now if BET had a couple white girls hosting shows, then i'd be up in arms (unless it was a new UNcut or somethin'... i keed...i keed...but not about UnCut...i want it back), but gimme a break.
jeez.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:39:19 pm »
Not that this accusation is deserving of further thought, but lets look at the premise.

Beyonce I believe just came off a 100 million dollar tour, Rhianna and MJB were multi-platinum in a sagging sales market. Tyra has 2 highly successful shows, Latifah has about 4 major endorsement deals and thats off the top of the head.

All of the aforementioned stars had to have crossover appeal to achieve that level of success and marketability. The premise of the accusation is so flawed that its laughable.

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »
It's inaccurate, but most of all, really, really dumb.

I figured it was inaccurate.  Problem is that it has already hit the "pro-black woman" blogsphere and will surely reach Gina before long.

http://blackgirlsrockit.blogspot.com/2008/08/new-face-of-bet-women.html

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 11:24:48 pm »
Wow, so on the "black girls rock" website that basically reprints the same dumbass, inaccurate article...the "hotness of the week" is a white guy.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 05:45:42 am »
Wow, so on the "black girls rock" website that basically reprints the same dumbass, inaccurate article...the "hotness of the week" is a white guy.

HA HA!