Author Topic: McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as running mate  (Read 46956 times)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
Re: McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as running mate
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »
It was probably a brillant move.  Talked to two friends who come from two ends of the Republican vote.  One would be classified as the religious right and the other is as far from religion as he wants to get.  Both think she's a brillant choice and like what they see about her.

See, she's not for pulling your vote, because no matter who he picked, you won't be voting for him. She's there for others.  She will solidify the Republican base which has been shaky for McCain.  Had he picked Romeny, a pro-choice person, he would have lost some of his base. 

And she's on the ticket for that small group (probably smaller than people think) who are ticked off about Hillary and realize that McCain's so old that it's a good chance that you won't be electing the first Woman VP, but the First Woman President.

And someone noted that these -8 odd-ball choices for the Republicans tend to work out.  In 68, Nixon picked Spiro Agno and people thought that was crazy.  They win.  88, Bush Sr. picks Dan Quayle and people mocked it. They win.  Now, in 08, they do it again.

How can you be a "GOP rising star" when nobody's ever heard of you? Wouldn't that be Pawlenty?

I guess the GOP is giving up the "got no experience" angle because she has far less executive experience than Obama does (and lacks Obama brainiac cred to boot).  

Actually, Obama has more political experience, and she has more executive experience than Obama.  A governor is an executive office position; a Senator is not an executive.  He has no executive experience.  Of course, technically, McCain doesn't either. 

good post

michaelintp

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 06:54:55 pm »

More Executive Experience

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 09:03:07 pm »
Hot? LMAO

Sorry...I don't see it.

Congrats to her...parlaying a single meeting...ONE...into a ride on the Republican Presidential ticket.  Looking forward to the VP Debates.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 09:22:34 pm »
Hot? LMAO

Sorry...I don't see it.

I definitely think she's cute...if you look to politics, she's one of the better looking.  Though I'd take Mary Bono Mack...yum.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:02 pm »
Hot? LMAO

Sorry...I don't see it.

I definitely think she's cute...if you look to politics, she's one of the better looking.  Though I'd take Mary Bono Mack...yum.

McCain met with Palin once before selecting her as VP. Once.

Palin has no idea about foreign politics and certaintly none about Iraq. She admits in an interview to such.

Palin's work as an "executive" is probably not even comprable to an assemblyman in Brooklyn in some parts given the population she has governed for the better part of her career.

The biggest point about "experience" is watching the demagogues/pundits who berated Obama for his lack of experience suddenly discount Palin's neophyte status; and even spin it as a good thing. Hypocrisy on the part of the pompus and arrogant is always glaring and watching Hannity tonight "Praise" Palin was the best example of that.

To the issue of judgement. McCain said it would be irresponsible to elect Obaam with his lack of experience during turbulent times such as these. Yet, in his infinite wisdom he chooses a person who is less experienced than Obama as his VP. What does that say about his judgement?

Did the world suddenly get less dangerous in the past 48hrs?

wgreason

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 12:23:44 am »

Gov.  Palin's executive experience, intelligence, and integrity must be superior to Condi Rice, Kay Hutchinson, Carly Fiorina, Joe Lieberman, and Hillary Clinton for McCain to make this choice.

I expect her to be spectacular through the next two months.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 01:15:21 am »

Gov.  Palin's executive experience, intelligence, and integrity must be superior to Condi Rice, Kay Hutchinson, Carly Fiorina, Joe Lieberman, and Hillary Clinton for McCain to make this choice.

But if he made any of those choices people would say they were too close to Bush, too old, to close to the business world, a turn coat for turning on Dems, and an actual Dem who would never accept.  Nobody on that list would registrar as a win for McCain.

Offline DamonO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 04:29:44 am »
And she already comes with a scandal brewing in her own state:

Palin: A Scandal We Can Believe In!
As mentioned earlier, Gov. Palin is embroiled in her own trooper-gate scandal up in Alaska. In short, she's accused of using her pull as governor to get her ex-brother-in-law fired as a state trooper. The brother-in-law is embroiled in an ugly divorce and custody with Palin's sister. And after his boss wouldn't fire the brother-in-law, she fired the boss. Palin originally insisted there was nothing to the story. More recently, she was forced to admit the one of her top deputies had pushed to get the guy fired.

More here:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/211310.php

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 06:01:55 am »
This amuses me.  Obama supporters have been complaining about the emphasis on Obama's lack of experience, and now every time they raise the matter as to Palin it will bring to the listener's mind Obama's lack of experience.  

Funny, that's the same way Ralph Reed spun it, as though the experience questions were coming from Obama's side. But doesn't placing Palin in the VP slot make McCain supporters look hypocritical when they question Obama's experience? Seems to me that it makes "lack of experience" attacks problematic on both sides.

I do agree that the Democrats should steer clear Palin's lack of experience. I also suspect that the Republicans will continue to try to make an issue of Obama's experience in spite of the hypocrisy.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 06:20:24 am »
The dems should definitely continue questioning palins' experience it goes right to the heart of mcsames hypocrisy and it challenges his oft repeated statement " of putting america first". The PUMAS may be pissed off now but this woman (palin) and mcsame will end a womans right to choose so they better wake up and smell the coffee

michaelintp

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 10:48:18 pm »
General Comments To Those on the Left Who Condemn Governor Palin and Others:

I'm very disturbed by the condescending arrogance of the Left, that demands that any African-American or woman must dance to the so-called “Progressive” tune or be demeaned and disparaged.  God forbid that men and women dare to think for themselves, instead of succumbing to the pressure of the mob.  God forbid that a Supreme Court Justice dares to base his decisions on the language of the Constitution and the intent of those who drafted and ratified it (and its amendments). For example.

Really.

The racism and sexism inherent in this condescending attitude is so transparent.  Why can we not respect every man and every woman as an independent thinking human being, capable of forming is or her own sincere opinions, instead of demanding that they be mere marionettes of identity politics.   

I’m not saying that you must agree with the views of Justice Thomas or Governor Palin, but for God’s sake, if you do disagree, do it in terms of a discussion of the substantive issues.  You may just be surprised to learn that there are reasonable arguments supporting some of their positions.

I just listened to Governor Palin’s remarks from yesterday.  From what I’ve read and heard, Sarah Palin is no Dan Qualye.  Of course this is how the partisan Democratic polticos will strive to paint her. 

Only with time will we know whether she was the best V.P. pick for John McCain.  However, one thing is now certain.  The election of 2008 will be groundbreaking.  It will result in the election of either the first African-American President of the United States, or the first woman as Vice-President of the United States.  That says a great deal about where we’ve come, and what our country is truly all about.   I feel very good about this.

Who is Sarah Palin?
By STEVE QUINN
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Friday, Aug. 29 2008
JUNEAU, Alaska -- In just two short years, Sarah Palin moved from suburban
hockey mom and small-town mayor to vice presidential contender.

The 44-year-old Republican, Alaska's first female governor, arrived at the
Capitol in 2006 on an ethics reform platform after defeating two former
governors in the primary and general elections. On Friday she was ready to leap
to the national stage as GOP presidential candidate John McCain's surprise
choice for running mate, according to two senior campaign officials who spoke
on condition of anonymity because the announcement was pending.

She already has a national reputation for bucking her party's establishment and
Alaska's powerful oil industry back home.

With ethics the centerpiece of her campaign, Palin defeated incumbent Gov.
Frank Murkowski, who served 22 years in the U.S. Senate before winning the
governor's seat in 2002.

Her task didn't seem any easier in the general election, but she handily beat
Tony Knowles, a popular Democrat who already served two terms as governor.

During her first year in office, Palin distanced herself from the powerful old
guard of the state Republican Party, even calling on Sen. Ted Stevens to
explain to Alaskans why federal authorities were investigating him.

Since then, their relationship has warmed, and they have appeared together at
several events. Stevens even said lawmakers should follow Palin's lead in her
efforts to get a natural gas pipeline built.

Stevens is scheduled to go on trial Sept. 22 in Washington, D.C., on charges he
failed to disclose more than $250,000 in home renovations and gifts from
executives at oil services contractor VECO Corp. He won the GOP primary on
Tuesday with more than 60 percent of the vote. He's pleaded not guilty.

Palin also asked Alaska's congressional delegation to be more selective in
seeking earmarks after what came to be known as the "Bridge to Nowhere" turned
into a national embarrassment and a symbol of piggish pork-barrel spending.

She also successfully took on the oil industry, leading to a tax increase on
oil company profits that now has the state's treasury swelling.

Typically seen walking the Capitol halls in black or red power suits while
reading text messages on Blackberry screens in each hand, Palin made a recent
appearance in Vogue, the fashion magazine.

And she oversees a state that's hardly shy about admiring her swept-back hair
and celebrated smile. Bumper stickers and blogs have proclaimed Alaska and
Palin: "Coldest State, Hottest Governor."

Palin describes herself as a "hockey mom" and an occasional commercial
fisherwoman. She lives in Wasilla, a town of 6,500 about 30 miles north of
Anchorage, with her husband, Todd, a blue-collar North Slope oil worker who
competes in the Iron Dog, a 1,900-mile snowmobile race. He is part Yup'ik
Eskimo.

Her previous political experience consisted of terms as Wasilla's mayor and
councilwoman and a stint as head of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation
Commission.

Palin's troubles with the GOP began when Murkowski named her chairwoman of the
Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. There, Palin exposed current Alaska
Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich, who was also an AOGCC commissioner,
for ethical violations.

In 2005, Palin co-filed an ethics complaint against Murkowski's longtime aide
and then attorney general, Gregg Renkes, for having a financial interest in a
company that stood to gain from an international trade deal he was helping
craft.

The Palins have five children: Track, 19; Bristol 17; Willow 14; Piper, 7, and
Trig, who was born in April with Down syndrome.

Track enlisted in the Army in 2007 on the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks, and has been assigned to Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks.

Palin was born Feb. 11, 1964, in Idaho, but her parents moved to Alaska shortly
after her birth to teach. She received a bachelor of science degree in
communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987.

michaelintp

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:30 pm »

But if he made any of those choices people would say they were too close to Bush, too old, to close to the business world, a turn coat for turning on Dems, and an actual Dem who would never accept.  Nobody on that list would registrar as a win for McCain.

Astute observations, JLI. 

michaelintp

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 11:28:33 pm »
... this woman (palin) and mcsame will end a womans right to choose so they better wake up and smell the coffee

Chose what?  What school to send her children?  What shoes to wear tonight?  Oh ... wait.  Of course we know what you mean.  This hygienic euphemism is so absurd.  Right out of 1984.  About as ridiculous as using the phrase "collateral damage" to refer to civilian casualties.  This is not to say that abortion is not a complex moral and legal issue.  It is.  Still, to address the issues, we should have the honesty to describe it as what it is.  Not use misleading sanitary euphemisms.

In truth, a federal constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion nationwide is not at issue in this election.  Such an amendment would never pass and would never be ratified by the states.  Even if the present specious (from the Constitutional standpoint) Supreme Court precedent Roe v. Wade were overturned, the result would not be to "outlaw" abortion.  The result would be to return to the people of each state the right to determine to what extent abortion should be regulated.  This regulation (or lack thereof) would undoubtedly vary from state to state. It would not result in a nationwide ban on abortion.

Sarah Palin clearly values human life.  She put not just her money, but also her future, where her mouth is.  I respect that.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 06:10:45 am »
LMAO you are disturbed by condescending arrogance? I suppose you are above such things huh michael you have NEVER made a snide, arrogant absurd remark? McSame and palin would end a womans right to choose to have an abortion (as if you didn't know). Collateral damage and exceptable losses are both words that are used to define the less fortunate. last of all you don't shape or define the discussions on the board you are no different than anyone else here you give your opinion and that's it

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 08:03:55 am »
Affrimative Action has made this country a better place.  People who criticize it never look at the track record of successful members of society who would not have gotten a fair chance because of it. 

I am sensitive about high profile AA candidates who are obviously marginally competent because they are used as examples of why AA doesn't work.  Clarence Thomas and Sarah Palin are each examples of that. 

Politics aside, you can't compare Clarence Thomas' career to Colin Powell, for example.  I'm not just hatin' on dude because he's a Republican.  Even though I think Condi Rice has done a terrible job as Sec of State, she's certainly a more impressive person than Mr. Thomas.

The persistence of racism and sexism doesn't make you immune to criticism, whether you are Barack Obama, Clarence Thomas, Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin.