Author Topic: Hudlin Leaving BET  (Read 61333 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Hudlin Leaving BET
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 02:10:15 pm »
I am very intrigued by how McGruder will address Reggie's departure in the new season of THE BOONDOCKS.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 02:58:08 pm »
This is dissapointing news...RH was the reason I watched BET in the first place

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 03:43:57 pm »
It's not like as if Reg is hurtin'. Maybe if he actually treated BET like a day job for real (i.e., I don't give a f*ck; pay me or fire me...) and not take himself and what he did there so seriously, he wouldn't have been a target by some us who supported him earlier on when he got there. Unlike our angry church goers, pseudo-feminists, and black neocon/closeted-black image fascists, some of us actually expected more from the man who was associated with Birth of a Nation and Boondocks. But I guess a suit is a suit, no matter how  no, actually, I guess he isn't one, since he's leaving BET, huh?

But really, I've been around my folk long enough to know that that statement from Lee is all BS. I guess we'll never know what was really squirming under that rock until some hungry-assed intern decides to go for a book deal.

Hey, good luck looking for that animated Black Panther series, all you RH fans!

Bless your hearts.

Wow... It just amazes me how so many people know the inner day-to-day workings of BET or everything that entails the position of "President of Entertainment" and how that person is supposed to do his/her job. Since the position is now vacant, why don't you apply for it? I'm assuming since you know this information, you are obviously qualified.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 04:15:18 pm »
I wish Reg well in all his future endevours.

I give him credit for all his efforts with BET.

The one thing I know about creative folk is that they are energized by the creative process itself and by contact with other creative folk.

Being a network exec might be lots of things but I don't know how much fun it is/was.

P.S. to any that might be interested answering the question, I put it out there: What is the difference between BET's programming and T.V. One's. What do you like better and why? Do y'all really Michael Baisen THAT much?

If the mods want to make this the start a separate thread, go for it.     

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 04:16:28 pm »
Best of luck with your future endeavours Reggie.

Ditto dis!

I foresee great things a'coming!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008, 07:06:30 pm »
*goes to BET to watch Somebodies.  Somebodies isn't on BUT my tv guide says it is...as a matter of fact, my DVR is recording "somebodies" right now...but "R.Kelly Speaks" is on.
hmm...

Brother reggie reg is gone for a few hours and already chaos and anarchy is runnin' wild at the station.

Difference between BET and TV One?  Michael Baisden.  Both stations show old sitcoms (I'd like to point out that MOST cable stations show OLD REUNIONS during the day. i say that 'cuz ppl like to black BET for doing that when it's a common practice. jeez!), but late nigt programming varies... ie., Michael Baisden.
that's all i got.
but seriously, tv 1 targets older african americans (females) while BET skews a younger audience during the day and older audience at night.  (BET J and TV One is a fairer comparison)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

brotherkomrade

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 08:12:59 pm »
Wow... It just amazes me how so many people know the inner day-to-day workings of BET or everything that entails the position of "President of Entertainment" and how that person is supposed to do his/her job. Since the position is now vacant, why don't you apply for it? I'm assuming since you know this information, you are obviously qualified.

Actually I'm dumbing-down my 8 y/o's resume. I was afraid she might be over-qualified.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 09:57:52 pm »
Hey... If an 8-year-old could do it, then I don't see why you were upset in the first place.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 01:15:06 am »
y'know what? BET was a  pile of sh*t for the entire time it existed prior to reggie's arrival. Yeah. I said it. A pile of sh*t.

It couldn't have been more consistently offensive and demeaning to blacks, women and humans with working brains if it had been created and run by KKKers. For over a decade it not only catered to the lowest common denominator but actively sought to dig holes in order to get lower than the low. And it made a bunch of folks rich not the least of whom was one Mr. Johnson who really needs a boot. He was shovel holder number one as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't love every single one of Reg's choices for the channel and I wished to God there'd been time to pitch some other, more cutting edge types of shows (Black Science shows, historical docs that DON'T have to do with crime, slavery or Africa) but some folks need to seriously get a grip here. I wish it had got that one breakout hit.

He wasn't the KING of the network. BET is a little chunk of VIACOM. Whatever you want to say about Reg, NO ONE knows what kind of budgets he was working with or what kind of assholes (whose names we'll never know) he had to deal with to get ANYTHING that didn't involve "gangstaz" sliding credit cards through "hos" asses every ten seconds o the air. It takes a lot of energy to shift something large once its been set in motion. BET had been rolling for decades.

There was some good stuff there and there was better stuff coming and, if the numbers weren't sound, then it's just one more example of black folks talking a lot of sh*t but not stepping up when called upon.

People like to SAY, in public, what they want to see- more GLORY, less SOUL PLANE, for instance. But the FACT is, for the most part, THEY ARE LYING. They don't line up for the "real" movies or TV. They don't put their money down and, even though they claim they want changes for the better, they don't want to support anything that moves in that direction. God forbid Soulja Boy should have to actually conjugate a verb.

I don't know the real circs of Reg's departure but I know who shares some of the blame.

US.

Good luck with the new sh*t, Reg.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

And it's ALL small stuff.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Jenn

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 03:11:30 am »
Not a fan I take it? ;)

It's a long story. We used to both write for Africana (now AOL Black Voices).

he's the guy from around the way

Don't tell me you think his thug-in-a-can persona is real.

So either Jimi's online persona is an act or he's kinda slow.

I'll vote for the former, but jimi izrael is so far in the closet that he's halfway to Narnia. That is what makes him so annoying.

People like to SAY, in public, what they want to see- more GLORY, less SOUL PLANE, for instance. But the FACT is, for the most part, THEY ARE LYING. They don't line up for the "real" movies or TV. They don't put their money down and, even though they claim they want changes for the better, they don't want to support anything that moves in that direction. God forbid Soulja Boy should have to actually conjugate a verb.

It's inertia. As long as you say you want change, you don't actually have to do sh*t about it. You just have to talk about how much you want change. And in comes a man like Hudlin, who starts actually changing sh*t, and it's like "oh, f**k...we may actually have to work." When I got flown to DC for some kind of position - community producer, I think it was - they're asking me about my ideas and my plans, and I take out my notepad and my laptop and start actually showing them what I had in mind. And I could just see it in their eyes. It was like, "Oh...wow." And I knew right then I wasn't going to get hired.

I don't know anything about BET Entertainment - they're in Los Angeles and BET Interactive is in DC. But I do know one thing, and it's ironic that I'm quoting Rollo Goodlove: niggas is gon' be niggas. And if niggas were running dot com, I can't see it being much different on the other side of the country. Even when you're the HNIC, you have to have your people in your corner. Otherwise, you're ass out in an open field, on the verge of being picked off Sarah Palin style.

Hey... If an 8-year-old could do it, then I don't see why you were upset in the first place.

I think somebody has a boy crush. Y'know, I can't stand Halle Berry or anything she touches, and that's why you don't find me on Halle Berry's board. Just a thought...just a thought.

*waits for brotherkomrade to say something absolutely f**king retarded profound so I can go cry about the big, bad retard manly man who put me in my place*
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:08:41 am by Jenn »

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:11 am »
250 post and I don't recall one that wasn't insightful, humorous or setting off fires.  :D

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 05:18:00 am »
jen makes my heart smile!
:)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 06:49:11 am »
I'll vote for the former, but jimi izrael is so far in the closet that he's halfway to Narnia. That is what makes him so annoying.

You DO realize I'm going to steal use this line first chance I get dont you?  ;D

brotherkomrade

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 07:06:44 am »
I think somebody has a boy crush. Y'know, I can't stand Halle Berry or anything she touches, and that's why you don't find me on Halle Berry's board. Just a thought...just a thought.

*waits for brotherkomrade to say something absolutely f**king retarded profound so I can go cry about the big, bad retard manly man who put me in my place*

Awwww, somebody put down the Paroxetine long enough to come out, with Vaseline mask and wind mill-fists flying?

Hi, Jenn. It's been a while. Hmmmm, boy crushes...I do have them, but I like my guys to raise bars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Hernandez
and make statements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Michel_Basquiat ya know whutimean?

Some, settle cheaply for a cute face, daddy replacement, and a bottle of Alize. No offense, but Reggie doesn't make my dough rise. Nice try, though.

I cum here for the fans. Y'all are so much funner to hang with than:

1. The Plantation Mistresses who are pissed over Hilary's loss - http://guerillawomentn.blogspot.com
2. these dudes - http://theodoresworld.net/terrorists/shia1_s-vi.jpeg

Fierce and blind loyalty are novel to me, for some reason. But then hence the reason why Jenn's words
Even when you're the HNIC, you have to have your people in your corner. Otherwise, you're ass out in an open field, on the verge of being picked off...
  has me shaking my head in recognizing the base mentality of the gang member; that sad, vulnerability beneath the hard shell of the street soldier. >Sniff<

Anyway, you're losing your touch, Jenn; You wrote the Jimi Izreal line before, but hey, I guess if you like a network that plays the same f*cking jokes every night, why should you be any different? Oh, and that's retardedly profound, my playground flower, not 'retarded profound'.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:15:03 am by brotherkomrade »

brotherkomrade

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 07:09:43 am »

You DO realize I'm going to steal use this line first chance I get dont you?  ;D

Go ahead my man, she certainly had no problem using it again...