Author Topic: Hudlin Leaving BET  (Read 60814 times)

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
Re: Hudlin Leaving BET
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 03:44:22 pm »
Now here come the rumors:

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2008/09/reginald_hudlin_leaves_bet_networks/

Though the email makes Hudlin’s split from the network seem amicable, anonymous sources have told VIBE.com that he was actually forced out.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 04:28:26 pm »
Now here come the rumors:

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2008/09/reginald_hudlin_leaves_bet_networks/

Though the email makes Hudlin’s split from the network seem amicable, anonymous sources have told VIBE.com that he was actually forced out.

Whatever gets me the job works for me! Besides, I only told that reporter there was ALLEGEDLY a fistfight, followed by the use of a taser and possibly a bottle but..... uh yeah.

Offline isaiah_bradley

• View Profile
Re: Black Panther animated series leaping to BET
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 06:53:09 pm »
BET entertainment head Hudlin leaves after 3 years

1 day ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — BET entertainment chief Reginald Hudlin, who boosted original programming at the channel known for music videos and reruns, is leaving the company, BET Networks said Thursday.

Hudlin is returning to his "entrepreneurial roots" as an independent producer, according to an internal memo Thursday from BET Chairwoman and CEO Debra Lee that was released publicly by BET.

BET executive Stephen Hill, who's in charge of music programming and talent, will serve as interim entertainment president during the search to replace Hudlin, Lee said.

In her memo, Lee lauded Hudlin for infusing BET's program development with creativity and energy, and noted that his division produced the network's highest-rated shows, including "Lil' Kim: Countdown to Lockdown" and "Keyshia Cole: The Way It Is."

Those series exposed the tough lives of the music stars and, like other BET shows, targeted younger viewers.

"Somebodies," a sitcom and BET's first scripted series, debuted this week. The channel, the most-watched network aimed at blacks, started a weekly news program in August.

Hudlin broke into the business producing the "House Party" movies and his credits include directing the "Everybody Hates Chris" pilot, producing "The Boondocks" animated series and writing the "Black Panther" comic book series.

He joined Viacom-owned BET in 2005.

"The black audience wants to be respected," he told The Associated Press in a 2006 interview. "They want quality programs that respect their intelligence. It better be hip, it better be innovative and be as fresh as possible."

Under Hudlin, BET abandoned "Uncut," a late-night compendium of steamy music videos. The move was seen as the channel's rejection of a degrading lifestyle that it was once criticized for glamorizing.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 08:12:26 pm »
I say it's a positive thing!  If the brother wants to get back to his roots...then get to it!  We need more positive black projects in Hollywood.  *ahem*  I'm available weekdays after five for voiceover work! LOL  ;D

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 12:19:51 am »
Reg WILL BE ABLE to put in serious work on BP if that's in the cards with TPTB @ Marvel.Maximally focused,tightly scripted books,arcs and plot lines.Similar to--but better than--his first 14 books.His Luke Cage--both hero and Zombie--is still the best ever.So is his Brother Voodoo.And his Blade is sicc too.He--RH--simply doesn't get credit for his work with those characters,as well as his work with Shuri and too cool Uncle TSyan.And his Photon is tite,too.If RH gets to keep her for 2009? His Photon will be the siccest Photon ever and a clear major force in the MU.I mean...can you imagine Photon being down with THE CREW? The possibilities are more than ridiculous.

BPTAS should be coo with Denys Cowan on deck.Hopefully it will hit the airwaves and be given say 3 seasons to grow and git bizzy.Yes,I said "git" bizzy.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 12:38:52 pm »
Well it is unfortunate really. Matter of fact I think alot of the heat he was getting regarding BET was not fair at all. At times I couldnt stand a members of ABJLAtm whining about him. The guy was trying the best he can regarding BET but it just wasnt enough for these people. TvOne is supposedly a network with positive images but to be honest it is just a bunch of reruns of black comdies and talk shows with the same tired ass topics of black men.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 03:19:02 pm »
Well it is unfortunate really. Matter of fact I think alot of the heat he was getting regarding BET was not fair at all. At times I couldnt stand a members of ABJLAtm whining about him. The guy was trying the best he can regarding BET but it just wasnt enough for these people. TvOne is supposedly a network with positive images but to be honest it is just a bunch of reruns of black comdies and talk shows with the same tired ass topics of black men.

I have been trying to figure out what ABJLA is an acronym for. I think I have ANGRY and Black but I can't get the rest.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 03:43:57 pm »
^^^I was wondering what that acronym was for,too.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

wgreason

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 05:06:38 pm »

I'll bet ... Angry Black Justice League of America?

kinda like the guys who stalked Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock last year?

or the Drop Squad ...

or the Seven Days ...
 ;D

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 08:21:56 am »

or the Drop Squad ...

or the Seven Days ...
 ;D

I used to call em Kente Klad Kulture Kops.

I always thought they should've titled the Drop Squad Teenage Muntant Ninja Negroes. ;D

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:03 am »

or the Drop Squad ...

or the Seven Days ...
 ;D

a real life Drop Squad is needed.  Only one I know of personally was called the Allah Team, ssshhhh....

Don't tell nobody

PEACE
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 08:57:03 am »

or the Drop Squad ...

or the Seven Days ...
 ;D

a real life Drop Squad is needed.  Only one I know of personally was called the Allah Team, ssshhhh....

Don't tell nobody

PEACE

Given the nature of star's entourages coupled with the Paparazzi; it would be a warzone with a Drop Squad out there.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
Re: Black Panther animated series leaping to BET
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:22 am »
BET entertainment head Hudlin leaves after 3 years

1 day ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — BET entertainment chief Reginald Hudlin, who boosted original programming at the channel known for music videos and reruns, is leaving the company, BET Networks said Thursday.

Hudlin is returning to his "entrepreneurial roots" as an independent producer, according to an internal memo Thursday from BET Chairwoman and CEO Debra Lee that was released publicly by BET.

BET executive Stephen Hill, who's in charge of music programming and talent, will serve as interim entertainment president during the search to replace Hudlin, Lee said.

In her memo, Lee lauded Hudlin for infusing BET's program development with creativity and energy, and noted that his division produced the network's highest-rated shows, including "Lil' Kim: Countdown to Lockdown" and "Keyshia Cole: The Way It Is."

Those series exposed the tough lives of the music stars and, like other BET shows, targeted younger viewers.

"Somebodies," a sitcom and BET's first scripted series, debuted this week. The channel, the most-watched network aimed at blacks, started a weekly news program in August.

Hudlin broke into the business producing the "House Party" movies and his credits include directing the "Everybody Hates Chris" pilot, producing "The Boondocks" animated series and writing the "Black Panther" comic book series.

He joined Viacom-owned BET in 2005.

"The black audience wants to be respected," he told The Associated Press in a 2006 interview. "They want quality programs that respect their intelligence. It better be hip, it better be innovative and be as fresh as possible."

Under Hudlin, BET abandoned "Uncut," a late-night compendium of steamy music videos. The move was seen as the channel's rejection of a degrading lifestyle that it was once criticized for glamorizing.

f*ck.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 11:51:46 am »
i have to be honest with myself and y'all...
as happy as i am that reggie reg is off to do HIS thing the way HE wants to do it... part of me is still sad that he's gone.
SERIOUSLY!
I've watched BET MORE in the past 3 years than I have since i started watching cable tv.
that's real tv.

(side note: UnCut is the only show on BET that i've ever recorded... now Somebodies has joined the list)

side note 2: Hmm...now that reggie reg is gone, will Uncut come back?

Anyway, i can't wait to support reggie reg on his next wacky and wild adventure.  If it's a new Boomerang, holla at cha boy!!
ps: does this mean he won't be at the hip hop awards 2008?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!