Author Topic: Thanks, Mr. Gibson....  (Read 9850 times)

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thanks, Mr. Gibson....
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:41:08 am »
I can't believe we killed the Palin thread before her first real interview.  Did this change anyone's opinion about her abilty (or lack thereof) to entertain the second-highest post in the land?

It felt like a bad job interview, at times.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks, Mr. Gibson....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:34 am »
I can't believe we killed the Palin thread before her first real interview.  Did this change anyone's opinion about her abilty (or lack thereof) to entertain the second-highest post in the land?

It felt like a bad job interview, at times.

It's funny, she didn't know what the Bush Doctrine is and essentially said Georgia was worth getting into a ground war with Russia over. 

Bloggers on the Right are screaming "hatchet job" as if that hack Gibson could do anything other than throw softballs.

But I don't think being terrifingly uniformed is going to hurt her with the Repubs base. She must be scaring the Holy Hell out of the Neocons 'tho.

Even the professional warmongers didn't think Georgia was worth fighting over. 

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:26:44 pm »
i think i'll watch the whole 'job interview' tonight.
should be good for a laugh.

charlie was tryin' to dig in da azz... "a yes or no answer..."
she doesn't believe in yesses or no's charlies...just what she had rehearsed.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:15:51 pm »
To quote a former Republican Congressman Lincoln Chafee...That woman is a cocky wacko!  It's OK if I don't know what the Bush Doctrine is...or if your neighborhood grocer or even the Mayor doesn't know what it is...but if you're a 72 year old, cancer survivor's heartbeat away from having your finger on the button...you should probably know that.  I loved the Miss Alaska answer though...vacant and vapid.

michaelintp

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:06:26 am »

Gibson’s agenda was evident.  The guy had to show his compatriots in the news media how tough he is, and he did so by using a “gotcha” approach -- trying to put words in her mouth, even distorting Palin’s words by editing her quotes to change their meaning.  Look at his approach to the “Iraq war is God’s will” topic.  He intentionally clipped Sarah Palin’s words where she asked the congregation to “Pray for ….” [to pray that we are doing God’s will and to pray for the safety of our troops]. When I originally heard her full quote some time ago, I knew exactly what she meant. It was Gibson who, through editing out the words "pray for," distorted what Palin said, and then had the chutzpah to tell her to her face that he was accurately quoting her (presumably to mislead the viewing audience).  Then even when she answered the question, he followed up again trying to put his words in her mouth, as if she had not responded. There was also an anti-religious subtext to one of his "buts ..." [regarding the notion that God has a Plan for the world] that was in itself revealing.

As for a brief rundown of past leaders making reference to God and God’s Plan, see:

Also, the “Bush Doctrine” question was inane.  Not in terms of substance – but the condescending way Gibson went about it.  If Gibson were truly interested in a substantive response, he would have asked her, “What is your view of preemptive war?”  Instead, like an interrogating instructor testing to a student, he refers to the vague “Bush Doctrine.”  Several articles and commentaries have come out since the interview (just do a search on Google) demonstrating that the “Bush Doctrine” is not a single principle but is a tag that has been applied by commentators to several policies of the Bush Administration over the years … from “unilateralism”, to “if you’re not with us, you’re against us,” to “go after terrorists wherever they may be, and the nations harboring them” to “preemptive war” to “spreading democracy throughout the Middle East.”  Palin reasonably asked him what he meant, and in his arrogant manner he refused to answer, clearly demonstrating his intention to play a game of "gotcha."  Palin, who was left guessing what Charlie meant, took the question to refer to Bush’s policy dealing with terrorism.  Gibson, looking down his nose at her and snooting, finally told her what he meant, attempting to make the audience think that his definition of the "Bush Doctrine" was the only definition.  Indeed, even some on the Left have pointed out that Gibson himself got the definition wrong on what he was trying to define, in referring to a preemptive war to ward of an imminent attack (as opposed to a likely or possible attack).  A war to ward off imminent attack is enshrined in Internatial Law as a legal and just war and has been for millenia. Frankly, while trying to impress his Media colleagues, I think the guy came across as condescending and unprofessional. 

I understand that Gibson used a totally different tone with more open-ended questions in his interview of Barack Obama (though I didn't see it).  Here is a listing that my son shared with me of some questions Charlie Gibson asked Obama three months ago:

How does it feel to break a glass ceiling?
How does it feel to “win”?
How does your family feel about your “winning” breaking a glass ceiling?
Who will be your VP?
Should you choose Hillary Clinton as VP?
Will you accept public finance?
What issues is your campaign about?
Will you visit Iraq?
Will you debate McCain at a town hall?
What did you think of your competitor’s [Clinton] speech?

The following are some question asked of Palin this past week:

Do you have enough qualifications for the job you’re seeking? Specifically have you visited foreign countries and met foreign leaders?
Aren’t you conceited to be seeking this high level job?
Questions about foreign policy
-territorial integrity of Georgia
-allowing Georgia and Ukraine to be members of NATO
-NATO treaty
-Iranian nuclear threat
-what to do if Israel attacks Iran
-Al Qaeda motivations
-the Bush Doctrine
-attacking terrorists harbored by Pakistan

Again, I don't have a problem with hard pointed questions.  I wish all candidates were asked probing questions. It was Gibson's behavior, his "editing" of Palin's quotes to change their meaning, at times ignoring her responses, his trying to put words in her mouth, that was objectionable.  What is really noteworthy is that despite Gibson's behavior, Sarah Palin was calm, polite, and thoughtful throughout.   

So ... "Thanks, Mr. Gibson."  Because, Charlie, I'm not the only one who read your conduct and intent.  A lotta people, including no doubt a lotta women, found you to be really off-putting.  You've just confirmed what many have been saying regarding the Media's biased treatment of Sarah Palin.  Which may just increase support for Palin and thus for the McCain/Palin ticket.

michaelintp

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 01:10:04 am »
I can't believe we killed the Palin thread before her first real interview.

I wasn't going to bring this up, even though it was bothering me.  But since you did bring it up ... I'll express my feelings on this. Like you, I don't understand why the thread was locked.  We were all being civil with one another, and having some fun to boot.  Made sense to have all discussion of Palin in one place too.  Makes we wonder why Lion did lock it up.  There was a lot of material in that thread, involving a number of issues, some none too complimentary to the Pro-Obama Left-Wing Bloggers and Media.  However, there was also a lot of criticism of Palin and the McCain ad, including Lion's charge that the ad's reference to "sex education" for kids was racist.  He locked the thread just as I was trying to post a response to his charge. 

We've gotta thank anyone who is actually willing to spend the time to act as a moderator on this forum (I certainly don't have the time), and I really mean it.  It is a thankless task.  That said, I thought the role of a moderator was to calm people down when they are getting out of line, and only if that fails, kill a thread.  If someone isn't interested in a thread, he or she is free to ignore it.

When the thread was locked, I kinda felt like "to heck with it."  First the interesting reparations thread was locked, and now the Palin/political ads discussion.  Sheesh!

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 04:20:02 am »
After that interview, I say Palin is like the American version of the the Philippine president, Gloria Arroyo-Macapagal. That's not a compliment.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 04:39:37 am »
lock it or unlock it but I PERSONALY feel that a 20 page and growing thread about a women who is largely in position because of Rove politics is insulting. Look my knowledge of political subjects are nominal at best and I look at the world mostly from a sociological and cultural context so I found it telling that based off of the make up of this board and all that it represents that the "Sarah Palin" thread was about to become the longest thread. Not wanting to insult anyone I will keep my beliefs on why that is the case to myself.

Oh yea you are reaching seriously with the Bush Doctrine question. Even I know what the Bush Doctrine policy speaks to and I would assume that a potential president would as well. Yes all of those policies you mention are part of the Bush Doctrine yet she failed to mention any of it. She was only able to fall back on the beauty pageant answers like Bush does it with the car salesmen pitch.

michaelintp

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:43:10 am »
Blue, just because someone doesn't politically like or agree with the topic of a thread and particularly the candidate discussed in a thread is no reason to lock it.  That is a reason NOT to lock it, actually, since it involves political speech. 

Regarding the interview: Gibson was game playing.  Honestly, the term "Bush Doctrine" has not even been thrown around much in the past couple of years, but when in the past the term has been used, the author/speaker uses it differently depending on what part of the Bush Foreign policy he wants to emphasize, though usually it has to do with the Bush pursuit of the war on terror or Iraq or both.  As I say, Gibson was playing games.

Gibson's demeanor was disrespectful considering that he was interviewing a governor and vice-presidential candidate of a major party. Query whether his demeanor would be the same were he interviewing a male governor or a liberal female vice-presidential candidate or a Democratic Senator. Senator Obama has been accorded far more respect in interviews, by Gibson and others, even though his level of "experience" is similarly suspect.  From the snippits I've heard, even by Bill O'Reilly treated Senator Obama with more respect (though I didn't hear the full interview).  Now if you are saying that Sarah Palin should not be accorded respect by interviewers because of your view of her or "who she is," then what you are advocating are biased interviews, employing different standards depending on who is being interviewed.  Kind of like the standard for locking down a thread.

... That is what critics of the media are talking about.  A double standard.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 07:49:20 pm by michaelintp »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:43:32 am »
I agree the thread should not have been locked.

But your girl Palin is a joke.  Literally.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:59:25 am »
Probably should not have. I'm just shaking my head at yall even debating the merits pro or con on this women. It's all about win at all cost with no rhyme or reason as to what the after effects will be. I mean I have enjoyed all of your debates from the right Michael and you have had a unique ability to clearly show the merits from the other side. On this issue of this clearly in over her head women I am at a lost. This nomination actually imo is a spit in the face to republicans, democrats, women, minorities hell the whole country when probably the least qualified amongst the qualified is selected for no other reason then the seemingly unstoppable machine of Rove politics and win at all cost. It won't work however. So have at it.

michaelintp

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 08:05:00 am »
I agree the thread should not have been locked.

But your girl Palin is a joke.  Literally.

Everyone's welcome to his or her opinion.   ;)

"My girl" ... hahaha.   ;D

I do appreciate your commenting on the locking of the thread point though, Reginald.  Political speech is more highly valued on the scales of speech in our nation.  Glad to see that you agree that it should be accorded the same treatment on the Hudlin Entertainment Forum.

Also, ya know, sometimes I just feel compelled to present alternative points of view on the forum when it comes to politics, because otherwise the discussions devolve into a cheerleading "preaching to the choir" sort of venue ... which is a lot less interesting.  Plus it is helpful for me to hear the views of everyone ... I get exposed to a lot of opinions I might otherwise not, and a more detailed discussion of issues that I might not otherwise hear.  Also prompts me to look into issues in greater depth, particularly when someone raises something that concerns me (that I might not have otherwise heard).  For example, had I not looked into some of the charges circulating against Palin on the Internet and by some in the Media, some folks on this forum might never had heard that they where wholly fabricated, fraudulent.

[Oh shucks, I edited my post again and reposted it before reading Blue's response ... Blue's comment above should be viewed as coming after this one.  Sorry about that.  I just hate that "last edit" thing at the bottom 'cause it makes people wonder why it was edited ... though when I do it, it is to correct a typo or add an additional thought or clarify what I'm trying to say.  Only do it when I think nobody has responded yet.  I guess I need to get over that, let the "last edit' language stay so as not to run the risk of screwing up the flow of the comments.  OK, OK, .... I'll try not to delete and repost the same comment ... aghhhhhhh!!!  Bad me.]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:13:52 am by michaelintp »

michaelintp

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:23 am »
Probably should not have. I'm just shaking my head at yall even debating the merits pro or con on this women. It's all about win at all cost with no rhyme or reason as to what the after effects will be. I mean I have enjoyed all of your debates from the right Michael and you have had a unique ability to clearly show the merits from the other side. On this issue of this clearly in over her head women I am at a lost. This nomination actually imo is a spit in the face to republicans, democrats, women, minorities hell the whole country when probably the least qualified amongst the qualified is selected for no other reason then the seemingly unstoppable machine of Rove politics and win at all cost. It won't work however. So have at it.

Regarding reference to Karl Rove:  After the mistreatment of Sarah Palin by Obama supporters over the Internet and by the Media, in the dissemination of outright fraudulent accusations (including even phony documents), nobody on the Left, and no Democrats, have a right to point the finger at Karl Rove.  Well, they have "the right" do say whatever they want, under the First Amendment, but you know what I mean.  Their credibility has been reduced to zero.  Because what the Obama-supporting Left has done over past couple of weeks, with regard to the depth of hatred and distortion, equals or exceeds anything Rove is accused of doing.  At this point, any such criticism of Karl Rove rings hollow.

I don't think Palin's selection as the Republican VP candidate insults anyone.  On the contrary.  It reflects the view that women, like members of minority groups, should be respected as human beings, without being required to be boxed into some pre-determined ideological package because of their gender or race.  Thus far Palin seems to be doing pretty well.  She's certainly energized a lot of voters. 

In any even, love her or hate her, or feel something in between, I think you've all gotta admit that having Palin on the Republican ticket has made this race a lot more interesting.  As Reginald once described the presidential race, it is the most exciting reality TV show on the air today. (... and of course, a lot more).

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:45:05 am »
I love your presence on the forum, Mike, as you know. 

As for Palin, she's not been mistreated. In fact, given that she believes and man and dinosaurs co-existed, I would say she's had an easy ride.  Given that one of her first acts in office was to inquire about banning books, she's not been on the hot seat at all.  Given that she's running as a fiscal conservative and she's saddled her state in debt, that fact that her presence hasn't sunk the McCain campaign is a tribute to the stupidity of the American public. 

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 12:05:38 pm »
I love your presence on the forum, Mike, as you know. 

As for Palin, she's not been mistreated. In fact, given that she believes and man and dinosaurs co-existed, I would say she's had an easy ride.  Given that one of her first acts in office was to inquire about banning books, she's not been on the hot seat at all.  Given that she's running as a fiscal conservative and she's saddled her state in debt, that fact that her presence hasn't sunk the McCain campaign is a tribute to the stupidity of the American public. 

Don't forget about the bald-face lies about earmarks, the bridge to nowhere, troopergate, her Iraq trip, etc.