Author Topic: Felipe' Luciano: Black & Brown Relations Lecture  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Felipe' Luciano: Black & Brown Relations Lecture
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:55 pm »
Civil Rights activist & Musican Felipe' Luciano spoke to an audience of mostly students at Wayne State University, on September 22, 2008 (Sept. 15 - Oct. 15 is Latino Heritage Month).
http://www.nyccfb.info/public/voter-guide/primary_2005/cd_profile/CD08_Luciano_472.aspx

An Afro-Latino of Puerto Rican background, Mr. Luciano spoke on issues of cultural pride for blacks and Latinos, and to not get hung up on artificial differences, but to look at the similarities that they have, and use that to build with each other economically and politically.. "Black folks should be at the forefront of the immigration struggle!" but lamented that many take on the qualities of "Afro Saxonism" and get caught up in the political views of the oppressor. He urged black americans to learn not just English but new languages, for, if nothing else, there's real money in it, especially with the 'globalization' of job/business opportunities.

Luciano spoke on the anti-black racism that permeates Latin America, from Mexico to Chile', lamenting that Argentina was once much blacker than it appears to be today, if not for genocidal tactics, and governments of the past encouraged and in some cases promoted mass rape by European Spaniards & others to "lighten" the population.. He made note of the union organizers in Colombia who are regularly murdered, the hypocrisies in the Brazilian government in how they deal with the black/brown population..

He offered that when Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. became more vocal about uniting people across global lines in the struggles of people of color, that is when they were both assassinated...

Luciano spoke on the black/latin collaborations in music, especially from a standpoint of the history of Jazz and the various black and latin artists who came to prominence... duke ellington, Machito, Dizzy Gillespie, tito puente, etc.

Luciano said that black folks have brought a wealth of faith that Latinos could learn from, and that Latinos have brought a wealth of family dynamics/communal cooperation that black folks can learn from.. He urged Latinos to read Marcus Garvey, and for blacks to read on Che' Guevara and other Latin activists..

Luciano spoke on the history of Spain, and how in his view blacks and Islamic culture turned it from a backwater of 'sheepherders' into a cornerstone of medicine, science, literature, music and other aspects of culture; he blanches at the Euro-scholar notion to separate the people who shaped this culture as "moors" or "berbers", i.e., non-black, as well as stressing that the same thing happens when people try to separate African blacks from ancient Egypt..

Luciano offers that throughout recorded history, there has been more church-sponsored and/or supported "terror" inflicted on indigenous peoples than could compare to the problems of today's radical Islam.. "100 million (indigenous) people killed" during the European colonization of much of what is today Latin America..

"Latinos... you are" more (African) than you might think, he challenged his audience.. He compared people in various Latin countries to people in Morocco, Libya, Iraq..
"Osama Bin Laden is Dominican! Might be hiding out there.."

Luciano refuted the notion that Cuba was paradise pre-Castro, especially for black people there.. "There was a 95% illiteracy rate.. Now, (they are) a world power", even after the collapse of the Soviet Union..

Luciano said that Latinos need to stop giving props to conquistadores like christopher columbus, Cortez, Ponce de Leon, etc., he likened having a statue of those men in Latin American cities would be like having a Hitler statue in Tel Aviv... He also said that black folks need to look to support multiculturalism, and stop pretending like there's "nothing" white about them, with surnames like Washington, Jefferson, etc.

Luciano offered that the Alamo was fought over slavery, that the Mexican government approached the American/Texas authorities several times for them to end slavery there, but they refused, and this was the real crux of the matter..
Luciano: "Davy Crocket= convicted rapist... Daniel Boone= convicted rapist.."

Hypestyle asked him his take on the current USA financial/mortgage crisis- He said that indeed was indeed a 'black monday'/'brown monday' given that so many of the mortgage foreclosures are affecting black and brown families, but things don't look great for the immediate future, as evidenced by the Katrina catastrophe, and the "relief" agencies more or less stealing money and/or offering trifling help like the shacks/trailers that many are still stuck in dealing with..

Luciano offered his support of Barack Obama, though with the caveat that "If he were African-American" (i.e., a non-Nigerian parent), he probably wouldn't get this far.. "he had to be exotic.."
"Barack Obama is the natural (manifestation) of the prayers of black people in this country..."
Luciano offered that there's more soul to Obama than his common speech patterns may indicate, and "he had to hold back" on Bill & Hilary Clinton...
He said that Obama may be this generation's FDR, encouraging younger people to get more involved in their communities..

He said that this Presidential election will be a moment when America will decide whether or not to go forward progressively, or go backwards.. Luciano predicted that in the near future, America would/should have to reconsider its stance on things like socialized medicine and universal education.. and that it may end up the 4th or 5th "super power" behind China (1), India (2), and Pakistan (3)...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:18:25 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
Re: Felipe' Luciano: Black & Brown Relations Lecture
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 02:03:39 pm »
He lost me at.. Che Guevara.. That guy was a murderer not an activist and he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Dr. King and Malcolm X. IMO.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:21:43 pm »
I watch people walk around with Guevara T-Shirts and I would be more than willing to bet they know almost nothing about the man's murderous exploits at La Cabana. That would be an interesting Leno type of man on the street segment.

What is the name of the guy on your T-Shirt?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:23 pm »
Black and Brown relations are a very serious matter and Black Americans better focus on solving this problem.

In NY, there at least is a long history of cooperation and collaboration with the Black American and Caribbean based communities. 

Where it really gets nasty is AA and Central and Latin American folks.  The Black Mexican/El Salvadorean, etc gap in LA is scary. 

I really appreciate that our mayor reaches out to bridge that gap.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:14:20 pm »
I was watching GANGLAND ( The History channel owe you and Nelson George some change 8)) and I saw a Latino gang that has put a bounty on murdering Blacks. Whether they be gang affiliated or not as long as they are Black they are prey.

It can't get any better given the economic trails that we are suffering right now. NY is a great place for so many reasons and the relative harmony in the midst of such diversity is one of them,

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:17:21 am »
I was watching GANGLAND ( The History channel owe you and Nelson George some change 8))

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:32 am »
He lost me at.. Che Guevara.. That guy was a murderer not an activist and he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Dr. King and Malcolm X. IMO.

interesting.. there's a dark side to Che'?  Luciano noticably hedged before he mentioned his name, and he noted that Castro "overstayed his welcome", so I guess he knows what time it is..  Francisco, got links?

west coasters, the situation is that ill?  Dang, I wouldn't have figured; is it mostly the gang culture bloods/crips, etc., that exacerbates things?

Luciano performing--

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:05:09 am by Hypestyle »

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:33 am »
Black and Brown relations are a very serious matter and Black Americans better focus on solving this problem.

In NY, there at least is a long history of cooperation and collaboration with the Black American and Caribbean based communities. 

Where it really gets nasty is AA and Central and Latin American folks.  The Black Mexican/El Salvadorean, etc gap in LA is scary. 

I really appreciate that our mayor reaches out to bridge that gap.

Well. It's going to get uglier. And you know this. Lots uglier.

And they aren't trying to change their program.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.