Author Topic: It's a wrap for Rap City  (Read 7979 times)

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
It's a wrap for Rap City
« on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:50 am »
http://www.sohh.com/2008/09/news-rap-city-i.html

Popular hip-hop music video program “Rap City” has ended its run on BET after 21 years on the network.

While SOHH first heard about the rumor last week, BET has announced the official word on their website earlier today. According to their Sound Off blog, “Rap City” will be replaced by “The Deal” hosted by DJ Diamond Kutz.

The new hour long series will consist of old and new elements from “Rap City.” Hip-Hop videos will continue to play but now they will be accompanied by pop-ups with facts on the given artist/song. The Booth, which was a staple on “Rap City” for artists to showcase their freestyle skills, will also remain a segment on the new series.

More than just a place for hip hop videos, Rap City gave fame to several hosts throughout the years, the first of which was Chris Thomas in 1989. He was followed by Hans Dobson, Prince Dejour and Joe Clair who debuted as host in 1994. Leslie Segar (a.k.a “Big Lez”) shared hosting duty with Clair from 1994 to 99.

The series evolved to “Rap City: Tha Basement” in September of 1999, with host Big Tigger. Mad Linx, J-Nicks and DJ Q45 all held short lived stints in the last three years.

BET has plans to run a “Rap City” finale but a date for the special has yet to be announced. “The Deal” premieres on BET on November 10th.
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: It's a wrap for Rap City
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:17:13 am »
damn, RIP to Rap City.. they need to put out dvd sets of the seasons..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:58:21 am »
bye bye rap city!
hello The Deal!

i like it.

and joe clair and big lez were the best hosts... then comes Big Tigger. that's all.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:12:31 pm »
I'M PISSED! I been watching Rap City since Chris Thomas was the Mayor! This is just more evidence of BET being run by them ofays at Viacom!

You want to destroy the favorite after school show of my adolescence? Fine! I'm done with BET! FUG EM!!! :(

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:10:48 pm »
Okay, I feel better now. I just sent BET a carefully worded email voicing my displeasure. Although it was very difficult, I refrained from cursing and calling them "ofays". lol

Offline True Father Sankofa

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:44:10 pm »
bye bye rap city!
hello The Deal!

i like it.

and joe clair and big lez were the best hosts... then comes Big Tigger. that's all.

Prince de Jour and the Mayor was dope too
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali