Author Topic: Any PC freaks?  (Read 24712 times)

Jenn

Any PC freaks?
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:08:17 am »
Building my first new rig, so I thought Id' ask. And if you're one of those cappuccino drinking, rich-ass Apple owners, keep it to yourself. :p

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Any PC freaks?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:28:17 am »
I've always had mac's since 1993. 

And I don't like cappacino, I prefer chai late's with soy milk, chilled.  If you have to ask...  :P

Jenn

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:36:37 am »
I've always had mac's since 1993.

Dear God, WHY? The only thing I could do with a Mac is sell it. I just don't get the hype.

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 11:39:18 am »
I got a PC for surfing, word-processing and all that good stuff.

Now for my comic and graphic art creating, got me a Mac g4.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:52:20 am »
I dunno, my mac's have never crashed, itunes and iphoto is pretty neat. I have a PS3 and xbox360 for video games so I'm good there.  And all the PC's I ever used at work are retarded, never had a problem with my mac.  Never crashed, nothing.  I have a new Imac G5 with the Intel, its less than a year old.  Probably going to buy a new ibook within a year or so...

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 12:16:18 pm »
It's funny. Macs are all you find in school. I remember the days of ClarisWorks (hee!), and the newspaper lab was full of Macs. But I hate them. Maybe it's because I'm always taking computers apart and upgrading/building them. I have two of them sitting on my dining room table now - one's mine and one is my friend's.  ;D

But I AM having trouble powering up my new rig...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! I think I may have seated the processor wrong, and God help me if that's the case.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:17:51 pm by Jenn »

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:28:28 pm »
If the processor is seated wrong the motherboard will give a three beep sound alert. It could be (if nothing is powering up at all such as the fans and stuff) the power supply. Power supplies won’t power up if the screws are not in. It has to be attached to the case by all screws before it will power up. I would try unhooking everything and not putting in any I/O cards first. Just the motherboard, ram and processor, key board and mouse and monitor hooked to the on board video port of the main board. The cmos will still post even with no hard drive. If its still not powering make sure their isn’t a case motherboard screw post in the wrong place. If one is out of place it may be making contact to the bottom of the board which will ground fault it and keep it from powering up.

I don’t mind Mac’s they are really good for graphics. However I prefer self built PC’s. For one you get a lot more bang for the bucks when you build it yourself. Another advantage is the wide range of cases to choose from, the ability to pick and choose exactly what peripherals you want such as DVD, RW’s , better video cards, how much ram, processor speed, hard drive size.. etc. etc.. Lastly and the most important reason for building one yourself is the clean installation of a OEM windows OS. Dell, Sony, Hp and other manufactures PC’s all come loaded full of pure crap. Tons of garbage software that slow done your PC, run in the background and cripple the PC’s performance. Clean OS installations give you exactly what you need and want without the trash. Without the pre-loaded junk, nor any recovery disk that only reloads the refuse when a problem occurs, clean installations from OEM Windows disk results in sound and stable machines. My main PC has been running straight for two years, never once has it become unstable. PC’s are the way to go for gaming, internet, word processing, finance and publishing. Mac’s for graphics. Although Photoshop, Illustrator, Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver all work just fine on a well built PC.

Back to the power problem, you might also try just the power switch on the boards front panel pins.. you don’t need the led’s or reset switch to power it up. If all else fails try removing the main board from the case, placing it on a foam surface leave the power supply in the case, one stick of ram and the processor in, video on the on board port, mouse and keyboard plugged in to the ps2 jacks not the usb’s. Then use a small screwdriver to cross the power pins or else plug in the power pin and use the case switch. The board should post, access the cmos utility and make sure the processor is correctly recognized. Let me know how it goes and if none of this works or you’re still having problems powering it up. 

* Just trying to help Jenn, it sounds like you might already know all of this since you've got a lot of experience building PC's. My company often times includes in AV installations Media Center PC's to use in sound distribution for home and office systems, we build them for specific Media purposes but they are still Windows OS PC's so if I can help with any trouble shooting let me know.

Jenn

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 05:57:49 pm »
If the processor is seated wrong the motherboard will give a three beep sound alert. It could be (if nothing is powering up at all such as the fans and stuff) the power supply. Power supplies won’t power up if the screws are not in. It has to be attached to the case by all screws before it will power up.

Goat, are you married?  :-* :-* :-* :-*

I don’t mind Mac’s they are really good for graphics. However I prefer self built PC’s. For one you get a lot more bang for the bucks when you build it yourself. Another advantage is the wide range of cases to choose from, the ability to pick and choose exactly what peripherals you want such as DVD, RW’s , better video cards, how much ram, processor speed, hard drive size.. etc. etc..

Damn skippy! I've been agonizing over HTPC cases for a week now. Ain't choice grand? Macs...bleh. They just whip it out and hit you in the forehead with it. "HERE, dammit!"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:23:03 pm by Jenn »

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:36:59 am »

Damn skippy! I've been agonizing over HTPC cases for a week now. Ain't choice grand? Macs...bleh. They just whip it out and hit you in the forehead with it. "HERE, dammit!"

I'd prefer it if you said, "they shove titties in your face like an underage girl at a nightclub".  I'm just sayin', if you're making metaphors...

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:12:06 am »
hahahaha
u got a point there sam.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:40 pm »
I've got a PC that's little more than a obsolete paperweight at this point.  All my arty-friends own Macs tho. Its pretty much the industry standard for guys in the visual arts.

I'd say that the visual arts pros make up 90% of Apple's market. And since these guys are ALWAYS flush with cash (when they are employed at all that is) they can afford to upgrade to the lateest version of Final Cut Pro or Photoshop or whatever.

The concept of Macs being for everybody is a relatively new one. The first Imacs were nearly impossible to upgrade. The Ipod is probably Mac's only true mass-market item.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 08:11:59 am »
I live in a divided house.  I'm a PC/Linux guy and my wife's a Mac woman.  I have the entire site wirelessly networked with repeaters and antennas at opposite corners...I'm like a hot spot for the neighborhood. LOL  She loves her Mac, but she doesn't complain about the way our Entertainment Centers are networked using PC media centers.  I build all my own setups and have quite a few going right now.  My web server runs Ubuntu Linux, my mini lab has a box with VMware so I can experiment and I've also got one using Orb that gives me free slingbox-like capabilities.  She's been using Macs since college, but every now and then she sneaks over to where the real power is.   ;D

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 08:55:11 am »
are there classes you can take for Pc building & basic repair? just wondering..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 09:47:09 am »
are there classes you can take for Pc building & basic repair? just wondering..

There are plenty of classes available for the entry level stuff.  Some are even offered online.  When you take your class or get your book or however you plan to learn, IMO, the best thing to do is to get a machine and tear that sucker apart and put it back together.  Nothing beats hands on experience. 

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 11:36:32 pm »
If the processor is seated wrong the motherboard will give a three beep sound alert. It could be (if nothing is powering up at all such as the fans and stuff) the power supply. Power supplies won’t power up if the screws are not in. It has to be attached to the case by all screws before it will power up.

Goat, are you married?  :-* :-* :-* :-*

I don’t mind Mac’s they are really good for graphics. However I prefer self built PC’s. For one you get a lot more bang for the bucks when you build it yourself. Another advantage is the wide range of cases to choose from, the ability to pick and choose exactly what peripherals you want such as DVD, RW’s , better video cards, how much ram, processor speed, hard drive size.. etc. etc..

Dayam! if I knew I got it right on the first guess I could have skipped all that other stuff!! LOL..

p.s. I'm happily married with children.. but if I wasn't I'd be all over that offer Jenn!!  :-*  :-*