Author Topic: Any PC freaks?  (Read 41169 times)

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Any PC freaks?
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:29 pm »
Ok, I have an opportunity to upgrade to windows 7, however I found out that you cannot do an upgrade from xp to 7 only a clean install. I have about 8 gigs of music on my pc, and about 4 gigs of ahem movies on my pc. My pics, im not to concerned with because they are all on my phone as well. What are my options. Do I have to go get an external hard-drive to back up all of my files and programs. I have a 200gig hard drive with about 80% of that used up with games, programs and such so partitioning windows 7 isnt an option is it. I read somewhere that you can partition music and video files separately is that true and how do you do it? Will look in tonight while in class to see if yall can send me in the right direction.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2009, 08:15:48 pm »
Do you know anybody with a copy of Vista?  You could upgrade only from xp>>>vista>>>>win7 in juuuuust about the same amount of time it'd take to backup, wipe, install, and manually reload all of the old settings...

I'd do the upgrade, skip the activation, and go right to a win7 upgrade..

This all assumes that if you are currently using 32bit versions, you will stay at 32bits... if you're thinking of switching over to 64bit Windows.. then you'll have to back it all up, no matter what.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2009, 09:07:37 am »
I will see if I can track anyone down with vista. May just get an external drive just to have it. Not sure.

Jenn

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2009, 09:35:11 am »
Get an external drive (you need one anyway) and just do a clean install.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2010, 03:30:06 am »
This seems a good place to ask: my mic simply doesn't work in the PC. Someone suggested it's a driver problem, but I don't even know how to go about confirming and / or fixing this. Any suggestions?

I reiterate - NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS AT PRESENT.

Okay well a couple of quick things to check..

First go into control panel/sound and Audio devices/Voice and make sure the Voice recording device is listing your primary sound card as the device. Next open up AllPrograms/Accessories/Entertainment/VolumeControl click on advanced settings and then change from playback to recording and make sure your mic input is active and not muted and the volume level is up.
Use sound recorder under AllPrograms/Accessories/Entertainment/SoundRecorder to check the mic is working now. You can use Sound Recorder’s Edit/AudioProperties to quickly switch back to the voice recording device and check things like volume, when you click on Volume for the voice recording device make sure your mic input is selected as primary and the volume is up enough. Default is line in so you want to switch to mic unless you have it plugged into the line in input.

Let me know after you check these and then we can go from there.

Wow. You know I haven't been up in the HEF as much as I would have liked recently, so I only just got to this bit of advice, and it worked first time. Truly, you are the GOAT!

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2010, 09:10:10 pm »
I've always had mac's since 1993. 

And I don't like cappacino, I prefer chai late's with soy milk, chilled.  If you have to ask...  :P

qft, baby.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Jenn

« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »
My turn!

How do you import digital movies into Adobe Premiere and convert them into .gifs

...the easy way?

If you'd like to do this the fast way, use a program that captures what's on your screen. That way, you don't have to import anything. I use Tunebite 7, capture the little part that I need, and then convert w/Animation Shop 3.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2010, 07:06:51 am »
Listen up, HEF!
A really good resource site for your PC troubles...   not including MAC users. :-\

http://www.howtogeek.com/

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2013, 08:59:44 pm »
Okay, so it's finally, FINALLY time to upgrade my sh*t. I didn't realize just how old my build was. I'd overclocked my E8400 to 4.1 GHZ ages ago. But that damn Skyrim...I can't believe that I'm spending so much money for one effing game. It'll play okay, but the graphics are absolutely awful, to the point of distraction. Even upgrading the video card didn't help. None of my other games play poorly at all.

I'm kind of bitter about this, because now I'm at the point where I had to replace my motherboard AND RAM AND processor all at once. I know I made some great buys off Amazon, but boy, did it hurt like hell. So by the end of the week, I'll have these upgrades for my gaming rig (bold text denotes upgrade):

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77
Processor: Intel Core i5-650 Processor 3.20 GHz
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 (x2)
Graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 1GB
Tuner: WinTV-HVR-1250 HDTV

Monitor: Westinghouse LVM-47W1
Case: OriginAE X11 (I swapped this w/my Zalman 135 ,which is turning into an HTPC)
PSU: Raidmax Volcano 630W Modular

Will have pics when I get it all together.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2013, 03:35:25 pm »
Okay, so it's finally, FINALLY time to upgrade my sh*t. I didn't realize just how old my build was. I'd overclocked my E8400 to 4.1 GHZ ages ago. But that damn Skyrim...I can't believe that I'm spending so much money for one effing game. It'll play okay, but the graphics are absolutely awful, to the point of distraction. Even upgrading the video card didn't help. None of my other games play poorly at all.

I'm kind of bitter about this, because now I'm at the point where I had to replace my motherboard AND RAM AND processor all at once. I know I made some great buys off Amazon, but boy, did it hurt like hell. So by the end of the week, I'll have these upgrades for my gaming rig (bold text denotes upgrade):

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77
Processor: Intel Core i5-650 Processor 3.20 GHz
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 (x2)
Graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 1GB
Tuner: WinTV-HVR-1250 HDTV

Monitor: Westinghouse LVM-47W1
Case: OriginAE X11 (I swapped this w/my Zalman 135 ,which is turning into an HTPC)
PSU: Raidmax Volcano 630W Modular

Will have pics when I get it all together.

Come om Maxine, you need to build you a BEAST!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2013, 08:28:31 pm »

You got some beast money?
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:31 pm »

You got some beast money?

Change that i5 to a 8core AMD and that will give the extra cash to upgrade to a 660ti 2g, asus sabertooth mobo, and 16 gigs of ram.   ;D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2013, 02:55:43 am »
Nice recs, Marv. If I ever start over from scratch, I'll keep you in mind. But I was seriously having to ball on a budget here. $105 for the mobo. $85 for the processor. $60 for the RAM. I'm straight for now.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2013, 07:55:55 am »
(Inserts virus and quickly runs out of thread...) ;)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2013, 11:08:23 am »
Nice recs, Marv. If I ever start over from scratch, I'll keep you in mind. But I was seriously having to ball on a budget here. $105 for the mobo. $85 for the processor. $60 for the RAM. I'm straight for now.

All good! That's still a very nice rig.  Will play and do anything on the market right now and mostly on the ultra settings.

And Flex, we always use protection and are immune to your viruses.