Author Topic: Any PC freaks?  (Read 24567 times)

Jenn

Re: Any PC freaks?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 10:24:27 am »
p.s. I'm happily married with children..

Damn, damn, DAMN!!!!

Jenn

BEHOLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:07 pm »

This shelf was a lot bigger than I expected it to be (I just got it yesterday). It measures 38" across. So it looks like I'll be able to keep it for a TV as large as a 32" or possibly a 37", but probably a 32". This kicks ass, since I was just getting this stand to tide me over until I got  big TV, which would have required a big TV stand. It's hard to tell in the pic, but that's a 24" LCD monitor. Looks downright PUNY on top of this case. Gee darn, looks like I'm just going to have to get a 37" LCD like I wanted.  ;D

I'll probably move the rig to the bottom left hand corner and place a VCR-to-DVD converter in the top right where the rig is currently sitting. It's a big 'un, but I specifically chose a large case for overclocking - most OC coolers tend to stand upright, like so:

Now I have to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with these cords. :( Still, I'm pretty damn proud of it, seeing that it's my first.

Lessee, specs:

Motherboard: DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
Case: Thermaltake Mozart
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (5-5-5-15)
Monitor: SCEPTRE X24WG-1080P
Video card: GeForce 7350LE (shut up)
Hard drives: 500 GB 7200 rpm SATA (x3)
PSU: OCZ600SXS 600W

As soon as I can afford the cooler, i can finally start overclocking. I hear the E8400 can OC up to 4.3 GHz on air easily. I know people into watercooling, but it's just not that crucial to me.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: BEHOLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 08:15:58 pm »
Video card: GeForce 7350LE (shut up)

:o

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Jenn

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:54 pm »
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:15:11 am by Jenn »

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: BEHOLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 04:11:39 am »

[/img]

spookiest forum momment ever, Jenn and I have the same desktop wallpaper (except mine is on my superior bourgeise Mac).  Huh.  No big suprize I guess...

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 01:27:10 pm »
Jenn,

A few questions:

1. Are you going with Blu-Ray?
2. Are you using a TV Tuner/Capture card?
3. Does the Mozart take full size PCI-E cards or just low-profile?

That's the cleanest HTPC setup I've seen.  My TV stand looks like it had a bad case of peripheral diarrhea..

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 01:35:42 pm »
very clean.

Jenn, do u suffer from OCD or are u just generally a neat freak?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Jenn

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 12:53:39 am »
1. Are you going with Blu-Ray?

Hell no. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of money. Then again, people swear that 720p is just as good as 1080p, and I call those people cheap bastards.  ;D

2. Are you using a TV Tuner/Capture card?

Yes, a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600. My old monitor (20" Magnavox) had a built in tuner; this one doesn't.

3. Does the Mozart take full size PCI-E cards or just low-profile?

Full size. I'm out of town now, but when I get home, I'll take the top off and snap a picture. It's pretty roomy. But it's BIG, no better than taking an average desktop tower and putting it on its side. I only got it because I knew it would accommodate a Thermalright Ultra 120 cooler, which I need for overclocking. There are much, much cleaner HTPC cases than that one. Even the Mozart comes in a slim case:

That's the cleanest HTPC setup I've seen.  My TV stand looks like it had a bad case of peripheral diarrhea..

Thanks! Shoooot, it better be clean; it took over an hour just to put it together.

Jenn, do u suffer from OCD or are u just generally a neat freak?

The former.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:03:21 am by Jenn »

Jenn

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 06:26:14 am »
So...it turns out that the Mozart does NOT support the Ultra 120 Extreme, at least not on a DFI BloodIron. Have I really been building an HTPC around a HEAT SINK? Yes, I have. Time to start over. Goodbye and godspeed, Mozart Media Lab. I actually like it, but I only got it because I thought I'd be using the 120 Extreme, and since I won't be using that heat sink, I believe I'm going to take the plunge and get the Zalman HD135 for a case instead.

I'll have to go on the stroll to pay for it, but this will be the 3rd case I've bought and sent back in less than two months, so it's time to quit bullsh*tting. I could get a HD160 for $230 shipped, but that volume knob just looks so stupid to me.

On the upside, I did replace my GeForce 7350LE w/a GeForce 9800 GT. Nothing to write home about, but I can at least hold my head up.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:33:56 am by Jenn »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 07:10:50 am »
dayam jenn... you're a hardcore PC person!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Jenn

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 08:41:47 am »
Not really. I just don't feel like doing any of this again, and I'm dying to start overclocking.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 01:06:10 pm »
Aw man!!!

Wouldn't the Shuriken mini-cooler have fit the Mozart?  I hear (yeh, yeh, I know what that's worth) generally good things about the Shuriken minis/ Ninja HTPC coolers..?

Hrmmm... After the Mozart, I don't know what to say that could help.. I'm guessing you can't stand the Antec Veris line, if the big knob doesn't do anything for you. 

How bout one of those t 

Jenn

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 02:07:43 pm »
Truth be told, I just don't think any HTPC case can fit the 120 Extreme except for the Remote Max. I'm over it. There are other coolers out there, ones that'll hopefully give me far less grief.

I'm getting used to the knob; I was looking at the Zalman over the Antec because of the built-in media card reader. (That and I'm just not a fan of the FB430 look.) I've read good stuff about the Zalman HD160 and how it cools well. The HD135 seems to be very iffy, coolingwise. So it looks like it's going to be the HD160, knob and all. I get to test out a HD135 tomorrow, but for the price I had to pay to get it here by tomorrow, it can't stay. (It just can't.) Thank goodness for credit cards and liberal return policies...

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 02:37:08 pm »
wow. this is like reading a foreign language.
i have no idea what you're talkin' about.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 04:20:34 pm »
wow. this is like reading a foreign language.
i have no idea what you're talkin' about.
Just imagine if SI was into computers like this lot! :o

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo