Author Topic: Any PC freaks?  (Read 24568 times)

Jenn

Re: Any PC freaks?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 05:58:57 pm »
Okay, in an exercise of sheer masochism, I swapped out the Thermaltake Mozart w/the Zalman HC135.

It looks a lot better, but for the price they're asking (around $350), I'm seriously underwhelmed. For starters, there's a place to put a media reader, but there's no reader included. I'm sorry, but for that price, they should've thrown one in. Another thing: in order to put your power supply in properly, you have to put it in backwards. So the fan at the bottom which should be cooling the area where the processor in is actually blowing air OUTSIDE OF THE CASE, which completely defeats the purpose of spending $70 on a freaking power supply with a freaking fan at the bottom to keep the inside cool. With a lot of work (which would include a drill), it could work out very well, but for a $350 case, I shouldn't have to break out a drill. Back to Amazon with this crap!

The fan included is loud as hell, and my video card is running hotter than a mug (77 degrees C). Any recommendations? I do love the heck out of it, though - could've sprung for the GTX, but I'm not exactly playing Crysis or some crap like that.

Even better news: my hard drive crashed today. Nothing on it - I back everything up to a 1 TB external drive - but it's still aggravating as hell because I can't find my copy of 64-bit Ultimate. And what's the use of building this kind of system and putting in a 32-bit OS?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:00:48 pm by Jenn »

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 10:26:32 pm »
I know Newegg sells heatsinks for NVIDIA cards.. It's late and I'm too lazy to scour the silentpcreview posts naming the brand.  I'll check tomorrow for name and price..

What about using a software solution to ramp down the fan, if you don't feel like voiding the warranty? (Rivatuner/Powerstrip or whatever they call it these days?)

Are the case fans multi-speed/user controllable?

Jenn

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 02:18:23 am »
I just got this off eBay; I'm sending the other one back. (It was supposed to be black; they sent me a silver one.) This one is coming with quiet cooling and two speed controllers. Plus it has a 17-in-1 media reader, which is what the other one should've come with. I don't like the design very much (the one I have is sooooo much nicer), but I'm sick of swapping cases.

Are the case fans multi-speed/user controllable?

Not to my knowledge, which is why I'm glad my auction is coming with extra stuff. We'll see how this goes.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 01:30:03 pm »
Ok, the vid cooler was by Zalman also.. the VF900 CU.  runs for ~$32+ at the 'Egg, probably cheaper elsewhere. 

I can't believe Zalman wouldn't make the case fans user friendly though.. Wow.  I guess Antec got that part right, at least.

And you stole that damn, case.  Very nice!!

Jenn

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 06:16:16 am »
The guy I sniped it from would've had it for $106.50. I'm sooooo bitter. Remember, shipping was $30.

Jenn

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 11:11:58 pm »
BEHOLD!!!!

I'm going to paint some wood black and attach it to the back of the shelves in order to hide the cords. Other than that, that's the layout. I still have so much internal work to do - I haven't even begun to start overclocking yet (just got my heatsink), but this is going to be the setup for a long time. Kind of wish I'd gotten a 37", but I only paid $500 for the 32" 1080p HDTV, and I raied $650 by selling my 20" HDTV and my 24" monitor. I'm pretty damn happy. Overall, I only came out of pocket about $400.

Now I get to rub it in the faces of all the bitch niggas who said a GIRRRRRRRRRRL couldn't build a rig.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 10:43:06 am »
High Art.

1080p for $500?? 

The Haters will never stop coming after you!

You went Intel, IIRC?  I'm guessing the setup's been rock solid so far...   (damn you, AMD..)

I'd like to know how the TV tuning/capture is coming.. are you using any special tuning software other than MediaCenter? 

Jenn

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 04:10:56 pm »
1080p for $500??

Check it out! The complaints about the remote are true (whooo, it's slow) and I had to order a HDMI-to-DVI cable (cheap bastids - and WTF do I have a 32" TV with a PLASTIC stand!?), but the picture is great and the sound is pretty solid. I had to put in my old video card b/c the TV doesn't support a DVI cable and my setup doesn't support VGA (which I don't like, but whatever), so I can't wait to get my cable and see what the picture looks like with my GT 9800.

You went Intel, IIRC?

E8400. My old setup was an Athlon, so I had to start all over with EVERYTHING, right down to the RAM and the case. I'll write up the specs and post them.

I'd like to know how the TV tuning/capture is coming.. are you using any special tuning software other than MediaCenter? 

I'm not, but I'm open to suggestions. I don't hardly watch TV, so that's not really much of an issue.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:18:23 pm by Jenn »

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 12:21:39 pm »
That's a nice set up.. too bad about the non DVI input on that unit. They really should make that standard.

anyway.. ok I'll show you the "Goat Room" now don't go hating.. after all I own an AV install company.. its sort of what I do and all so of course my home theater/media room sort of rocks..

Jenn

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 04:58:22 am »
That's a nice set up.. too bad about the non DVI input on that unit. They really should make that standard.

The crazy thing is that it was on my 24" Sceptre monitor! This one supports everything BUT a VGA. It even supports S-Video. I didn't even know people still used S-Video.

As for your setup:

1) It is worthy of head.
2) It is worthy of slow head.
3) Is that a fuzzy pink sofa in such a manly room?

I may have to get rid of the shelf (I just bought it!!!) because if I put wood on the back of it, my HTPC case will stick out of the front. BAWWWWWW!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:01:45 am by Jenn »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 09:37:14 am »
that couch looks beige to me.  the flash on the camera makes it brighter than it is....right Goat?

Jenn

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 11:51:54 am »
Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre it is.  ;D

Thoughts on going from a GeForce 9800GT to a Radeon HD 4850? Would there be any significant difference, or would the difference not be worth the money spent?

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 12:17:38 pm »
LMAO! yeah it's beige... but I wouldn't be opposed to fluffy pink.. if I was getting head at the time.. well truth be told I wouldn't be opposed to any dayam color couch if I was getting head at the time.. LOL.

Thanks for the kind words on the setup..

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008, 08:40:23 pm »
Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre it is.  ;D

Thoughts on going from a GeForce 9800GT to a Radeon HD 4850? Would there be any significant difference, or would the difference not be worth the money spent?

Benchmarks be damned, but I'm hard pressed to see where the 4850 would be an improvement, unless you can find it for around a buck - buck twenty-five. 

..but this is coming from a guy so cheap he went with a 4670.   :D

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2008, 03:19:31 pm »
A lil off topic maybe, but Microsoft got there own deal in "computer leasing" in the works if you haven't heard about it.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081229-microsoft-patents-granular-approach-to-computer-leasing.html

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."