Author Topic: BP relaunch info.  (Read 93406 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
BP relaunch info.
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:34:56 am »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
Re: BP relaunch info.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:55:57 am »
I'll wait to see what happens.  That's my rational answer.  On the inside...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I think we had this discussion in another thread...it's the current trend in comics to replace guys with girls.  I was enjoying T'Challa's resurgence in the MU, but we'll see what happens come February. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:05:36 am »
curious.. I wonder who the artist(s) will be.. hopefully Khari Evans will be in the mix..  I'm ready for a sexy lady Panther..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Luthor Dare

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:08:39 am »
No thanks.

Jenn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:27:21 am »

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:55 am »
The New Warriors is cancelled at #20.

McDuffie is largely with DC now.

There is no significant Black Male presence in the Marvel U now.

Not many will buy a Black Male lead. How many will buy a black female lead title? Sales better not be a test to the success of this book. Storm is most popular when she is written as a mammy mother figure for the x-men. Fanboys hated his strong black Storm. How are they going to feel about the strong minded Shuri? Kasper Cole did nothing for Black Panther and I loved me some Kasper Cole. What is the issue with Tchalla? He seems like an ok dude to me? I got to think about this for a minute or two.

Jenn

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:55:11 am »
Not many will buy a Black Male lead.

And that's what makes this all so heartbreaking. As a black woman, I love the idea of black women leaders, but not at the sacrifice of such a wonderful black male character.

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:01:29 am »

Not many will buy a Black Male lead. How many will buy a black female lead title? Sales better not be a test to the success of this book. Storm is most popular when she is written as a mammy mother figure for the x-men. Fanboys hated his strong black Storm. How are they going to feel about the strong minded Shuri? Kasper Cole did nothing for Black Panther and I loved me some Kasper Cole. What is the issue with Tchalla? He seems like an ok dude to me? I got to think about this for a minute or two.

How do we know it's Shuri? It could very well be Storm....

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 11:06:10 am »
I doubt it's Storm...she's too valuable from a merchandising stand point to be the new BP.  I think it's Shuri or his long, lost sister...T'Latifah.  :)

Offline chiclat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 11:09:48 am »

I would love for it to be Storm. I hope T'challa, no matter where he is, is still featured in the comic book (even if he isnt black panther)

also first post :)

Offline Frostbite883

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:32 am »

I would love for it to be Storm. I hope T'challa, no matter where he is, is still featured in the comic book (even if he isnt black panther)

Hey, there, chiclat. Welcome to the HEF.

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 11:35:15 am »
From newsarama.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100821-Black-Panthress.html

I think the replacement is Storm. I wonder how long this 'switch' will last, and more importantly how this is percived to be an improvement? So much has been invested in BP over the last 2 years, prominent roles in movies, crossovers in FF, the marvel zombie limited series, Civil War and video games, I doubt that changing the character - even if it IS Storm - is a marketing ploy that will raise sustainable interest...But I will buy the new book, and I suspect most people who read BP before the launch will as well....

Side note though. They did a TERRIBLE job of translating readers from BP to the 'Worlds Apart' comic. If it were not for this forum, how would somebody KNOW that WAP is really a bridge from the series to the re-launch? The comic says NOTHING about WAP - and it'd be pretty easy for casual BP fans to not know what was happening next...It's like changing the schedule of when a popular t.v. comes on, eventually if people can't find it, they'll watch something else...

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 11:38:38 am »

Welcome! I think he'll still be around, I don't see how a relatively minor side character like Shuri would take over the book long term. But Storm? That will at least draw attention. I mean, I stopped buying Spiderman comics 12 years ago and he was only a CLONE, can't imagine people being Happy if BP is written out of his own book.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 11:41:06 am »
A female successor to the Black Panther legacy!

Hudlin has done it again!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 12:49:53 pm »
NOT thrilled.Am buying the relaunch cuz I believe in RH.But I remember something like this from BP's ANNUAL; Shuri is the BP. TChalla is "only" the King of Wakanda.And this happened with T'Challa and Kasper too.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw