Author Topic: BP relaunch info.  (Read 128156 times)

Offline Naki

• View Profile
Re: BP relaunch info.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 04:55:07 pm »
I feel what you are saying mariposa.  If this was a new comic with a new African/Af-Am female character I would be all over it without a second thought.  However, I just don't like the idea of trading in one for the other.  And, if T'Challa eventually returns as the BP why the relaunch.  With the reveal that a female will be the new BP doesn't seem to be enough to start over at #1 especially if the title remains the same.  Some people posited that the comic might be renamed something that showed equal status between BP and Ororo.  Thus, a relaunch with a new #1 would make more sense under such a circumstance.  But, if the BP title continues with Shuri or another female family member as the new BP why a new #1. 

If Shuri is the new BP is that a big enough change (or is she a big enough draw) to justify a relaunch?  Will people (besides die hard BP fans) pick it up to read about a character they have probably never even heard of?

Offline isaiah_bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 07:00:56 pm »
Not many will buy a Black Male lead.

And that's what makes this all so heartbreaking. As a black woman, I love the idea of black women leaders, but not at the sacrifice of such a wonderful black male character.

how do u look.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 07:05:09 pm »
I feel what you are saying mariposa.  If this was a new comic with a new African/Af-Am female character I would be all over it without a second thought.  However, I just don't like the idea of trading in one for the other.  And, if T'Challa eventually returns as the BP why the relaunch.  With the reveal that a female will be the new BP doesn't seem to be enough to start over at #1 especially if the title remains the same.  Some people posited that the comic might be renamed something that showed equal status between BP and Ororo.  Thus, a relaunch with a new #1 would make more sense under such a circumstance.  But, if the BP title continues with Shuri or another female family member as the new BP why a new #1. 

If Shuri is the new BP is that a big enough change (or is she a big enough draw) to justify a relaunch?  Will people (besides die hard BP fans) pick it up to read about a character they have probably never even heard of?

Yes.  

First off, issue ones always sell better.

Second, it is a major jumping off or jumping on point.  

Third, if the name changes to Black Pantheress (shudder).

Fourth, and if Thor can go back to the old numbering system in January (it becomes Thor 600) then if someday later they decide to return to the old numbering system, they could.

Offline DJfunkyPuddle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 07:05:30 pm »

how do u look.

^^clarify???

I think my real concern is the scope of the story.  Trying to establish Shuri as the new BP while also keeping tabs on T'Challa might be a little too much to handle without T'Challa having his own book.  I just feel that origin stories shouldn't branch out so soon, or at least not on such a level like this.

Jenn

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 07:06:29 pm »
Am buying the relaunch cuz I believe in RH.

Same.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 07:08:45 pm »
OK, looking at that picture, two thoughts come to mind:  a) No way Storm's hair fits under that mask.  b)  who drew it?

J.R. LeMar

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 07:19:41 pm »

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:28 pm »
WORLD WAR PANTHER. It's coming!

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 08:23:03 pm »
From newsarama.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100821-Black-Panthress.html

I would like to say congrats to Reg continuing to be the writer........solo writer.........not working with a co-writer......... with the "BP relaunch".  I can respect the fact that since word came out about BP relaunch and our POVs were out and about, guess who said nada during the past weeks/months?  Reg Hudlin.  What's that old saying, "sittin back layin in tha cut".  Yep he did and this process has been brewing for awhile, IMO, before TY SDCC (possibly after TY NYCC) and with all the flack he has received once again he has raised the bar to a whole different level.  I am looking at this as a lot of potential of great success because like the sprite commercial, "different is good":

This relaunch could have a bit of Priest like process a-la BP: Black and White:  T'Challa aint dead folks and female BP will not be like K Cole.  T'Challa presense should be part of this throughout the entire series.  So, to all with the message of "I want Priest, or Priest this and that......Reg will have his own as well as Priest concept process with this series

Since some did not praise BP annual Reg wrote as much but digged the fact Shuri was BP and it was written by Reg that female BPs were known this has a chance to give us a storyline.  As Jenn stated, and she has a great POV, no one wants to read the end of a African (Black) character being replaced by a female.  With that,  we will find out soon.

There can be so many arcs written not just with a female BP but other stories that will us as readers new and fresh excitement to BP character.  (Did female BP beat T'challa to take the thrown?  Did T'Challa become ill and she to his place and whipped all males candidates....remember issue #1 of BP)  I would like to go on and on but my female BP (my wife) is calling me to get off the PC. 

Again, let us say Reg madd props and all the best.  I wish you would gave me, Sam, Redjack a hint at SDCC on this but hey....... I understand.  Loose lips sinks ships    :-X

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 10:22:03 pm »
zulu ocho!! good tuh see u dawg!!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19:16 am »
My great concern is that this switching out of TChalla as the BP is the sure,inevitable sign of BP's solo book's early demise.PRIES'S Kasper Cole--and his whole run--ranks without a shadow of a doubt in the Top Two GREATEST runs on BP (love him or hate him,this fact is inarguable) and he couldn't pull it off.

It WOULD take an event like WWP to keep BP on deck in a solo book and profitable.Or reference to BP casually yet consistently in other books and his inclusion in various cameo appearances over the next two years in big books like Spider-Man,The Avengers (main and fringe titles), Daredevil,Hulk,She-Hulk,Iron Man (has he even been referred to EVER in that book?),War Machine,Captain America (really surprised we haven't seen alot more of him there) a one shot in IMMORTAL IRON FIST,THOR,and of course featured repeatedly all across the X-Universe.Two years.References and actual appearances in these books.

But most importantly? The BP main book must be tightly focused,deftly written,beautifully and consistently drawn,colored and lettered by name artists like FINCH (not even the guy who did BP THE ANNUAL should do consistent interior work; ole dude is clearly superior to ole dude the previous artist but I don't like the kinda chubby,angular and in some instances slightly cartoony approach he took as a consistent look for the book) carefully plotted with a growing crescendo over a 12 ish arc hopefully leading to a 24 ish megawarc broken down into say 8 three issue mini-arcs all logically and sensibly interlocked.The art in this book is the greatest,most obvious and biggest hindrance.YARDIN.ALMOND.SAL.FINCH.MIKI.BIANCHI.EATON.PELLETIER.Artists of that caliber and name recognition.Absolutely critical to this book's survival.

Btw,if the book is beautifully written? TChalla could still be the driving force of the book even when he says little.See PRIEST'S arcs with KILLMONGER as BP and BLACK AND WHITE,or ASCENSION.I am quite sure,however,that RH will use a different approach that may lightly borrow some concepts from PRIEST,but RH was the only person ever to indicate that there was a female BP (BP Annual,Ororo mentioned that Shuri was the first woman in over a century to wear the Panther vestments) and now he has made it canon that there have been two female BPs (who was the first? More permanent expansion of the BP legacy).

Someone trying--and failing--to assassinate BP could be the PERFECT opportunity for Shuri.TChalla could be severely injured and trying to recuperate; he loses the BP office by tribal law.Shuri is given a go at it and wins.TChalla elects not to challenge Shuri for the position when he fully recovers say sometime by the end of the first 3 ish arc.Or SK's ravages+an assassination attempt could do it too.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 05:21:37 am »
Shadow King is able to attack on the physical plane...that might be how King T'Challa goes out (and what better way to get at Storm than to take out the love of her life?)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 05:31:56 am »
Hmmm, T'challa killed, exiled, turned into psi being.  The easiest way for shuri to become BP is that she beats him in the Contest to become BP.

As far as WWP.  To make T'challa important to MU, you can not go route of making him the enemy.  Hulk can work as the enemy in WWH, because the point of Hulk is that he fights everyone, hero and villain.   But BP is not.  Nor is he Namor, the sometime ally, sometime enemy King.  BP was designed to be the stauch ally King, the only one.  That is unique.  All other nation kings are not good allies.  Black Bolt is distant, Doom is enemy, Namor flip flops.  For T'challa to be unique, he has to be ally of heroes.     

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 05:45:24 am »
this kinda reminds me of the side stories...teh background stories of Iron Fist.
it works there, it should work here.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Naki

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 05:50:33 am »
OK, looking at that picture, two thoughts come to mind:  a) No way Storm's hair fits under that mask.  b)  who drew it?

LOL I was thinking the same thing.