Author Topic: New administration  (Read 6527 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
New administration
« on: November 06, 2008, 04:24:55 am »
Comic book writers (along with all other writers) like to use The Administration as advesaries.  Do you think this new administration will change that?

MArvel portrayed SHRA as a conservative side issue, will they repell it now?  (would Obama support the Inititive?)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: New administration
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:22:20 am »
Heh-heh.. Marvel’s infamous for at least tacitly reflecting real world events in its books, though generally they’ve stayed away from on-panel explicit portrayals of specific Presidents and other elected officials..

I remember in Captain America in the 80’s, the replacement Cap storyline, the Serpent Society was heavily involved, and, seemingly—Ronald Reagan was among the sleeper agents involved.

Back during the Nixon era, there’s supposed to be an infamous Cap storyline where either Nixon himself or one of his cabinet/advisors were behind a cult group.

Most of Marvel’s titles are scripted, what, 6 months before they actually come out?  So, especially with Marvel’s intense pre-planning with post-Secret Invasion going on, we may not see any asides dealing with the Obama win for quite some time..

In certain Marvel titles, they’ve had stories involving the presidential race, but avoided mentioning real names—in Captain America, of course, they just concluded the “third wing” storyline, where that candidate finally quits, leaving the ‘other two’ to go at it.

When Priest’s Panther started out, he included a sequence where Bill Clinton’s administration throws a dinner honoring black community/business leaders, but—they don’t invite any black people..  a later episode portrays Clinton going after Ross with a hockey stick.. hee-hee..

I just hope some hacky writer doesn’t have Luke Cage, Falcon, et al, doing a buck dance..  I’ve read that there was some sequence years ago when the MLK holiday became law, where Luke was inserted into some sequence, “we got our own holiday!”

As much as I’d like to see a fist-bump pinup with Pres. Obama and T’Challa, for whatever it’s worth, I’d just as soon not see Pres. Obama too often, if only because I don’t want a bad writer giving him something dumb to say.  Mr. Reggie is cool, Mr. McDuffie is cool.. Maybe Brubaker, but we’ll see..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 05:09:42 pm »
I'm wondering if they'll invite Luke Cage to speak for the un-registered heroes. If not, maybe he can become the head of Obama's security team. If not him, then maybe Falcon.

In the broader sense, I'm hoping Marvel will have more of their black heroes step up and have a say.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

J.R. LeMar

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:18:03 pm »
It will be interesting to see how President Barack Hussein Obama will be portrayed in comics. I think someone here once raised the question that, if he won, would comic writers be as willing to still show The American Government as "the bad guy" via various military conspiracies and whatnot?

Certainly, in both the previous BP series', the U.S. has not always been the most stalwart ally of Wakanda, though I could imagine that President Barack Hussein Obama would be interested in starting and maintaining a friendly relationship with the Royal Family (whomever they may be). Hey, Queen Ororo is from Kenya, too, right?

MArvel portrayed SHRA as a conservative side issue, will they repell it now?  (would Obama support the Inititive?)

I think it's been shown within the Marvel Universe that the SHRA is widely popular among the public, and not necessarily just conservatives. In fact, I recall in one issue T'Challa made a point that his political lobbiests had made contributions to "conservative" congressman, who would argue against the SHRA as an example of "big government intrusions."

So I'd imagine it's something that, regardless of how he may or may not personally feel about it, President Barack Hussein Obama would have to publicly support it.

I'm wondering if they'll invite Luke Cage to speak for the un-registered heroes. If not, maybe he can become the head of Obama's security team.

With his criminal background, he'd never pass the background check.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:23:20 pm by J.R. LeMar »

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:22:37 pm »
But in the latest annual he would become a future president of the U.S.A.

Still, I'm hoping this could open more civilized dialogue between the unregistered heroes and the government.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:03:23 pm »
If Obama appears in Utlimate Marvel, I hope he doesn't give Ultimate Nick Fury any leverage when he returns. But  I'm also hoping they'll all be dead before Obama assumes office.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:14:37 am »
If Obama appears in Utlimate Marvel, I hope he doesn't give Ultimate Nick Fury any leverage when he returns. But  I'm also hoping they'll all be dead before Obama assumes office.

There may not be an United States as be recognize it in Ultimate Universe after Ultimatium.

I hope they dont make the same mistake they did in 2099.  To revitalize the line, they devestated the earth.  It killed the series.

Then again-other than ult spidey, I wouldn't miss Ultimate line if it canceled.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 01:39:23 pm »
Spoilers on Secret Invasion and Dark Reign

Ok, unless Norman Osborn has the shortest term on record, either Obama directly put Osborn in charge of the next generation of SHIELD, Iniatitive, Avengers,and Thunderbolts, or he continues the Bush appointment.

Offline Frostbite883

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 09:04:04 pm »
But I'm also hoping they'll all be dead before Obama assumes office.

I'm guessing you mean the Ultimate SHIELD or the Ultimates (or maybe
just the rest of the Ulti. Marvel Heroes/Heroines and Ulti. Fury), right?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 01:42:42 am »
But I'm also hoping they'll all be dead before Obama assumes office.

I'm guessing you mean the Ultimate SHIELD or the Ultimates (or maybe
just the rest of the Ulti. Marvel Heroes/Heroines and Ulti. Fury), right?

Right-o! To hell with them all! Clone their bodies and send them to the front lines!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:52:05 am »
ROFL! IAWOP
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw