Author Topic: Hope vs Dark Reign  (Read 11573 times)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Hope vs Dark Reign
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 07:49:24 pm »
It will last as long as any major event. But I don't think Marvel can keep up with the changes that Obama will making during his presidency. Besides, these comics are about how the superheroes save us. If you want Obama leading the charge, give him his own costume. Norman will finally crack and rip open his suit to reveal his Goblin costume. Obama will rip open his suit and reveal his Alex Ross-designed costume! And he won't need a mask!
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 11:47:33 pm »
You know what we need? A weekly show that covers Obama's best actions or decisions. But it's presented like Bill Cosby's commentaries after the Black Hornet cartoons. The commentator can wear an Obama Nation t-shirt, cheering him on.

"He's not a Bush...
He's not a Huxtable...
He's President OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »
Interesting, Marvel says that ain't Obama in Thunderbolts, but a fictional American President.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 06:06:24 pm »
Interesting, Marvel says that ain't Obama in Thunderbolts, but a fictional American President.

And Final Crisis #7 has a Black Superman who is President in his secret I.D.

A kind of Obama shout-out.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 05:33:06 am »
I loved the Thunderbolts storyline...I mean the Spidey thing was cute, but this looks like the story folks folks are gonna sleep on. It's starting out hot as hell to me.

And that black president/superman....I think he needs another appearance.  Dwayne should do it...and if he don't, I will.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 08:29:19 am »
then that would mean you'd be writing for DC?
marv will let u do that?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 06:29:07 am »
then that would mean you'd be writing for DC?
marv will let u do that?

I am not exclusive. 

The only challenge is finding the time...

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:13 am »
OOOooooh.
hmmm.
if u find the time, then that would mean i'd have to find the dime(s).
a brother is broke these days!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »
Well "Obama" appears in Secret Warriors.  (Spoilers). Fury just strolls into the Oval Office, talks to the man, showing no respect.  The President even calls him on it.and his response--been here, done that since WW2; doesn't impress.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 06:15:34 am »
Well "Obama" appears in Secret Warriors.  (Spoilers). Fury just strolls into the Oval Office, talks to the man, showing no respect.  The President even calls him on it.and his response--been here, done that since WW2; doesn't impress.

Good grief. Just send Fury to Afghanistan to get rid of Karzai. That old fart is becoming embarassing.  >:(

michaelintp

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 12:35:35 am »
I loved the Thunderbolts storyline...I mean the Spidey thing was cute, but this looks like the story folks folks are gonna sleep on. It's starting out hot as hell to me.

I agree.

Made me wonder, though, if McCain had been elected, whether we would still be treated to the same storyline, in effect removing culpability from the President for the continued appointment of the Green Goblin as head of national security.  Or whether this is a special effort to portray Obama in the best light possible (though, in the end, he is still duped).  I'm not quick to jump to a conclusion here, as Marvel (post-Jemas) at times tried not to insult the actual President.  I did get a little tired of the repeated Presidential refrain, "Was he hurt, were they hurt, is everyone OK, etc etc etc ..."  Once would have been enough to make the point that "our President is a wonderful compassionate human being" etc etc etc ...

But anyway, I did get a kick of how the "Dark Reign" was being reconciled with the real world, and the new Administration, to some extent.  Was chortling as I was reading it.

Also amuses me that Marvel is claiming this to be a fictional President who just happens to look just like President Obama. 

I was disappointed to see Thunderbolts, after this great kick off, drop off into a goofy little Deadpool story with frickin' cross-over titles.

... oh, and on the broader thrust of this thread, who ever said this is a time of hope?  Geeze, I'm feeling more hope-less as every day passes.    :P