Author Topic: Monica Rambeau/Pulsar The Sun Goddess Respect Thread  (Read 182518 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Monica Rambeau/Pulsar The Sun Goddess Respect Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:39 pm »
She-Hulk isn't an original.  (And Serena and Venus aren't comperable, because they're humans while She-hulk was made to have a female Hulk.)

I guess what I meant was that because Serena and Venus are sisters, therefore family, they have a special kinship.
Likewise, Jennifer Walters and Bruce Banner are cousins, therefore family, they also have a special kinship.

That was the comparison I was making (as far as originality goes), not that one example is fiction and the other non-fiction.

As far as Monica; her roots aren't cosmic. Her first/origin story involves evil corperations and then Spider-man.  Her begins are first as an Avenger on earth;  space adventures started later. And there is nothing nor should there be anything Kree about her.

Cosmic (adjective)
1. Of or relating to the universe, especially as distinct from Earth.
2. Infinitely or inconcievably extended; vast.

Doesn't that describe Monica's abilities? ?
I dunno, can you reference a Marvel Universe encyclopedia for specifics 'cause I'm drawing from reading rather than academics?

I think it more of a genre classification than anything else.

Quasar spends most of his time off earth fighting Aliens-he's cosmic.

Monica spends most of her time on Earth fighting supervillans-she's not cosmic. 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2009, 04:50:12 pm »
<<I opined on some message boards that a retcon could be done with a female kree expatriate landing in Africa centuries ago and being an ancestor of Monica, >>

So, instead of being a pure African American woman, you would make her a human/alien hybrid. 

While in and of itself that is fine, Monica is the 2nd biggest Black female Marvel hero and making her partially non-human doesn't feel like a step forward.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2009, 06:10:25 pm »
I don't think Monica should have a Kree connection. Mar-vell and Carol already have some connection to that alien race. Plus it would be over kill IMO, been there done that. Lets not make her into a alien clone like the two I mentioned.

I think Pulsar's origin is fine just the way it is, it can be expanded a little by a good writer. The question is who would be able to touch on her past while still respecting the character and her Avengers and Nextwave history, while putting her in a great position to expand on her future.

Stern, Ellis, Mcduffie, or Hudlin? How about PAD? ???
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:09:28 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2009, 08:07:46 pm »

I think it more of a genre classification than anything else.

Quasar spends most of his time off earth fighting Aliens-he's cosmic.

Monica spends most of her time on Earth fighting supervillans-she's not cosmic. 

I always felt she was a little bit of both. More so she's earth bound, but if she wanted to she could travel in space.

So she has a choice to be cosmic or not to be cosmic.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2009, 08:19:40 pm »
She-Hulk isn't an original.  (And Serena and Venus aren't comperable, because they're humans while She-hulk was made to have a female Hulk.)

I guess what I meant was that because Serena and Venus are sisters, therefore family, they have a special kinship.
Likewise, Jennifer Walters and Bruce Banner are cousins, therefore family, they also have a special kinship.

That was the comparison I was making (as far as originality goes), not that one example is fiction and the other non-fiction.

The same can be said about Superman and Supergirl. Their both cousins, but the fact still remains that she is but a female clone of her male counterpart, that is unoriginal to me. Like She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Batgirl, even Robin, Wondergirl and Speedy, they all are carbon copies of other heroes.

Do you guys think Storm is a Thor clone? I read a post a while back on another forum that some people think she is. What about you guys?  

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:59:46 am by Tahdigga »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2009, 04:26:28 am »
I think Monica is one of those characters who look cosmic but isn't.  Cosmic characters fall into 2 catagories, those that have power to travel across universe, breaking the laws of science, under their own power and those who use outside tech.  The later group can apply to anyone from Tigra to Rocket Racoon.  Monica fits the later catagory. 

She's like Wonder Man; can fight in space, but under her own power, she isn't capable of intersteller travel without outside tech.  On her own, she can't be cosmic; with help, she can and she'd fit a team like Starjammers or Guardians of Galaxy.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:32 am »

The same can be said about Superman and Supergirl. Their both cousins, but the fact still remains that she is but a female clone of her male counterpart, that is unoriginal to me. Like She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Batgirl, even Robin, Wondergirl and Speedy, they all are carbon copies of other heroes.

Do you guys think Storm is a Thor clone? I read a post a while back on another forum that some people think she is. What about you guys?  

ha!  what are those folks, 12, who said that?  yeesh.. then again, how many 12 year olds are all that familiar with Thor nowadays  ??? .. sounds like anti-mutant "power purists" who feel anyone who has multiple gadgets is "too much like batman", only Superman should be 200+tons-uber-strong, "only" Thor can control the weather, etc.; many might be prone to feel that Sub-Mariner is a clone of Aquaman... never mind that Namor was published first..  ;)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2009, 09:31:52 am »
She-Hulk isn't an original.  (And Serena and Venus aren't comperable, because they're humans while She-hulk was made to have a female Hulk.)

Original (adjective)
1. Preceding all others in time; first
2. Fresh and unusual
3. Productive of new things or ideas; inventive

When you can define originality by the first descriptive, all you're left with is the  arrangement of things or who came first but when you're given the other optional meanings... characters like She-Hulk, Supergirl, Batgirl, Namorita, etc. give writers and readers more variables to play with.  That is why I think those female counterparts are more interesting to me than the males and that is why I think a female writer can give those female characters more meaning.

Storm a Thor clone?
I've first seen Storm in the pages of X-Men since I was 11 or 12 and not once did I ever see the comparison. To me, the only descrepancy to reading Thor is parsing the language; Sometimes it's cryptic and slows the reading pace to a crawl! :-\

I don't think Monica should have a Kree connection. Mar-vell and Carol already have some connection to that alien race. Plus it would be over kill IMO, been there done that. Lets not make her into a alien clone like the two I mentioned.

I think Pulsar's origin is fine just the way it is, it can be expanded a little by a good writer. The question is who would be able to touch on her past while still respecting the character and her Avengers and Nextwave history, while putting her in a great position to expand on her future. ---Tahdigga

What I'm noticing about the MARVEL characters today is how expanded yet rigidly linked all the characters are.
Why not explore a little more into the Kree mythology?
Did the Kree ever have a population of black people in thier race?
African-Americans...Africans were (are) once synonymous with ancient warriors. The Kree have a warrior class...  Anyone else see the possibilites here?
Eliminating Monica's abilities from the potential of having cosmic origins limits her heritage to just earthbound matters. It's not expansive enough for a character that started out first with too many elements similar to her male counterpart and metamorphed into where she is now. If no one had told me, I would've never known Pulsar was the same Captain Marvel from the Avengers.
I mean, damn... she had the Kree name, the star on her uniform, the ability to convert into pure energy... now she's like an extra on the Matrix series!
I jus' don't get it...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:59:34 am by Battle »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2009, 09:44:56 am »
I think Monica is one of those characters who look cosmic but isn't.  Cosmic characters fall into 2 catagories, those that have power to travel across universe, breaking the laws of science, under their own power and those who use outside tech.  The later group can apply to anyone from Tigra to Rocket Racoon.  Monica fits the later catagory. 

She's like Wonder Man; can fight in space, but under her own power, she isn't capable of intersteller travel without outside tech.  On her own, she can't be cosmic; with help, she can and she'd fit a team like Starjammers or Guardians of Galaxy.

There was a story in the Roger Stern run of the Avengers where Black Knight(who is a physicist) and Monica figured out how she could so faster than light. The side effects of turning into tachyons and travelling interstellar distances(she loses a very tiny bit of mass every time she turns to energy-the longer she stays as energy the more mass she loses) nearly killed her.   

So she is CAPABLE of interstellar travel.

But she probably would not attempt it-it's too risky for her.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2009, 01:22:30 pm »
Tachyons are faster than light, but not fast enough for intersteller travel.  and this has been shown by her always traveling in ships, even as recent as the Infinities mini series.

Monica is a pure science based character.  Characters that travel at intersteller speeds break all the laws of speed.

Offline PFunk

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2009, 07:26:49 pm »
Tachyons are faster than light, but not fast enough for intersteller travel.  and this has been shown by her always traveling in ships, even as recent as the Infinities mini series.

Monica is a pure science based character.  Characters that travel at intersteller speeds break all the laws of speed.

Actually Tachyons can travel way faster than light.  Fast enough to allow for nearly instant interstellar travel which I strongly think Monica's capable of.

However, in spite this, the reason why she still uses/prefers ships instead of her own power for interstellar travel is IMO attribited more to astronavigation.  After all, space is very, very vast.  Vast enough to get hopelessly lost if even a slight mistake is made.  And it takes supercomputers to chart if not navigate it properly-and that's in normal space.  I figure things get x10 or more harder in tachyon space.  And as I said before while I think Moncia has the capablity for interstellar travel.   I don't know if she has the capablity to do interstellar nav which is required for it.

So taking these factors in unless it's simple, short-range line of sight travel (i.e. earth to moon or somemthing like that) Monica's a lot better to just use a starship instead.  After all let a super navcomp and/or someone else deal with the astronav issues (and just relax and enjoy the ride instead).

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2009, 03:10:34 am »
I will accept that she is capble of traveling btwn galaxies on her own, when they show it, but if she isn't capable of navigating thru space on her own, then she isn't capable of intersteller travel: both powers must be there for it to be practical.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2009, 03:53:49 am »
I looked up "how fast are tachyons?". Answers were: 

Faster than light-that doesn't help.
They would travel back in time.
They don't exist.

So maybe she can travel fast enuff, but maybe not.

Where did you find them saying she could become tachyons?  While back I looked for it and couldn't find it.  I found netrions instead.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2009, 05:01:43 am »
An excerpt of a writer who wanted to explore the mythos of She-Hulk:

IN-DEPTH: Peter David

You had a brief stint recently on “She-Hulk.” Do you think there’s a shortage of female leads in comics? What do you think makes She-Hulk an interesting character?

Well, there’s a shortage of female leads, but that probably goes hand in hand with the shortage of readers who will support a book with a female lead. As for what makes her interesting, you’ve got this woman with all this superstrength and power for whom solving a problem with her fists should be the LAST thing she would want to do. Her instinct is going to be to talk things out, to negotiate, to proceed through a system. And what interested me at the time I was writing it was that she felt the system she embraced had completely betrayed her. She’d been lied to and betrayed about as thoroughly as anyone could be. And I thought it would be incredibly interesting to explore someone who felt so ill-used and rudderless.

Unfortunately, not enough people agreed.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21760

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2009, 02:31:11 pm »
IMO I think the Lady Of Light is a cosmic hero. She has the choice to either stay earth bound or fly to the stars and beyond.

During her early membership in the Avengers when she was just learning about her powers, an inexperienced Captain Marvel was sent away by then head chairperson of the Avengers, Vision. He sent her on a space mission to Sanctuary II, which happens to be four point nine billion miles away.

He wanted her off and away from the planet, so that he could take over earth and it's computers, he feared that her light speed abilities would foil his plans.

As you can see she is in no need of a ship, she is energy incarnate, she is the Sun Goddess!

A more experienced Monica is more than capable of traveling billion of miles in a blink of an eye through space, while holding Genis-Vell.  Once again she is in no need of a ship. Please stop trying to weaken the Sun Goddess. Don't confuse her with those other chicks..lol ;)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:47:58 am by Tahdigga »