Author Topic: Monica Rambeau/Pulsar The Sun Goddess Respect Thread  (Read 208820 times)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Pulsar The Sun Goddess Respect Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:12 pm »
The non-masked look with the jacket it great, didn't care for the one with the Avengers.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2009, 04:15:13 pm »
It really is shameful how Marvel treated Monica during that time. Just to take away her leadership roll, they made her look incompetant and unsuited. When some time ago she was being praised for her skills. I'm assuming that was the norm for minority characters, which IMO sucks. >:(

next in Monica's fan club was the one and only She-Hulk!

"She MADE it all HAPPEN"

That was one of the reasons why In 1987, after a dispute with editor Mark Gruenwald over upcoming storylines pertaining to Captain Marvel II and The Avengers, Roger Stern and Marvel comics parted ways. --- Tahdigga

I'm sorry...I didn't mean to imply that Monica (Capt. Marvel)  & Jennifer (She-Hulk) resented each other. I only wanted to point out the funny confrontations between the two at the time I was reading The Avengers. Reading that single issue, that one page really stood out after all these years, even at the time I first read it.  So I kept this book for my archives.

I've always felt that the character, Captain Marvel was never really taken seriously since her debut.  Then when she is placed into a leadership role, it really shows. Much like all the Marvel female heroes. However, it's interesting how other characters percieved her.  Like Captain America.  He always projected an exemplary attitude towards minority characters, and it shows in each and every encounter, in the pages you displayed.   
She-Hulk?  Well...  there were times I wonder what was up with her attitude!
Star Fox?  He probably, if not, definetly would want to take her to bed.
Druid?     I don't know much about him as I've never seen him in anything else before.
Thor?     He's pretty much as respectful as Captain America but generally keeps to himself.
Ms. Digga, you're the only person I know of (next to Mr. Hudlin) who actually wants to bring this character to the forefront.

When it comes down to editorial, it comes down to politics;  the manuevering, the positioning and the decision making...  I may not have known what was going on behind the scenes at these comicbook companies but the tension appeared to show in the comic pages. In my humble opinion, I think the reagan era really really began to dominate the standards for everyone and the standards of the previous decade couldn't match wits with the new regime.
Everyone felt it.  I know I did, which is why I (like many) began to lose interest in reading those comics. 

---plus, the price point kept going up every two years and I disliked that, too! 

Oh I didn't take your post that way. I thought you were pointing out Marvels disrespectful treatment of Monica during her time as leader. I thought I would post some images of her being praised before all that nonsense started to happen. I just began reading the classic Secret Wars #1-12, I can't believe the roll Marvel has Monica playing during this mini.

She's designated to being a scout and nothing else ::) for 12 freakin issues she flies around at light speed for Steve, no display of her extraordinary powers, not really having any lines in it either. >:(  Even Storm takes a backseat to the Professor and Scott. During that time she was leader of the X-men and now because of this weird world their on for some reason the Professor is able to walk. I must point out that she does speak up about this very issue, but the Professors not having any of that and just brushes her off, like whatever woman, I'm walking now, you can stop with all that noise.

I think Pulsar is one of the coolest heroes created, I guess Mr. Hudlin feels the same. I do commend him for bring the sun goddess back to comics where she belongs. I think she deserves her do and I hope now that it's 2009, things will change for all minority characters. Because back then, it was pure disrespect IMO.

I do agree that Star Fox was hitting on Monica, but to be honest he would push up on any women in the vicinity.
Here is a scene with him getting a little fresh with the Lady Of Light..lol

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 04:19:34 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2009, 04:32:48 pm »
I do agree that Star Fox was hitting on Monica, but to be honest he would push up on any women in the vicinity.
Here is a scene with him getting a little fresh with the Lady Of Light... --- Tahdigga

Yep, that's Starfox alright!

If you want to see more, I'd recommend taking a look at the She-Hulk title within the last  few years to see how he got played out with his philandering with superhero females namely Jennifer Walters.

He gets Boomerang'd!

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2009, 04:51:30 pm »
there is NO bigger and better fan on this planet than you, Tah.
nuff respect

Thanks eking! I've been meaning to start a respect thread, but my scanner was down. I got a new one 4 christmas. Yay! ;D

I had the FIRST issue of the short lived Captain Marvel Solo series which came out in 1990 I think. The first issue featured Monica going to the hospital to apologize to Moonstone for 'breaking her neck' and putting her in the hospital during the Masters of Evil Storyline. I remember being so excited at the time because I figured it was going to be a long lasting series. Thanks for brining up such fond memories of childhood...It seemed like the late 80's through early 1990's alot of powerful sistas were getting thier say in comics, Capt Marvel / Pulsar, Storm, the leader of Soveriegn 7 (never read the book) and then things just went flat....And by the way, you're kinda hot in the costume...

The issue your speaking of, was it written by Dwayne McDuffie? Because I have both her one shots and I don't remember that happening.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »
Monica gracing the cover of an Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Feb 1983.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:21:58 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2009, 05:35:45 pm »
Here is a scan of Iron man then occupied by James "Rhodey" Rhodes, attempting to push up on Monica.

Didn't go so well..lol

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:25:36 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2009, 12:58:39 am »
Long time foe of Black Panther, Killmonger readies for the death blow on T'Challa, he does his best John Hurt from "Alien," and Monica busts out of his chest.

Monica battles the Deviant-Inhuman hybrid, Maelstrom and helps Tigra get away.

Just as the Cosmic Entity the Beyonder readies for the death blow against the Avengers, Monica allows them a little time, with her all powerful lightning attack. He even says her "energies are powerful indeed". But ultimately all the Avengers combined powers do little to defeat him.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:26:10 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2009, 01:07:03 am »
The Avengers along with Spider-man battle a horde of Lava Men, but are having a hard time. Only the blinding radiance of Captain Marvel II, calms the creatures. They fall to her feet worshiping the Lady Of Light.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:27:42 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2009, 01:33:26 am »
Monica shows that she is no slouch when it comes to H2H.

Monica battles Kang the Conqueror

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:30:49 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2009, 01:46:00 am »
Pulsar breaks up a fight between Namor and Hercules.
She shows some leadership qualities, telling them both to get their minds right..lol

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:32:05 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2009, 02:13:27 am »
Monica Battles Moonstone Part 1

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:32:55 pm by Tahdigga »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2009, 08:35:05 am »
wow...ur knowledge of comic book characters.... ::)   ;)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2009, 10:11:55 am »
Tah!  Were you able to make it to the NYCC, and the Marvel panel?  In costume?   :)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2009, 10:15:23 am »
Tah!  Were you able to make it to the NYCC, and the Marvel panel?  In costume?   :)

Sadly no I couldn't make it, moneys a little tight right now. :(

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2009, 11:25:37 am »
After the Wasp decides to step down as leader, Captain America nominates Monica as Madame Chairwoman.

After some soul searching and saving some children in need, Monica decides to take Cap's offer.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:35:34 pm by Tahdigga »