Author Topic: GAMERS THREAD  (Read 224149 times)

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 04:00:05 am »
I disagree that blu-ray is overrated garbage, you need to have good stereo equipment and a good TV to maximize BDs potential. I have seen the Dark Knight in both Blu-ray and regular DVD and there is no comparison, action movies are better on Blu-ray. I am waiting for Arkham Asylum and I hear Sony is making God of War III woo hoo!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:11:13 am by karaszero »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 07:48:04 am »
**** the PS2...where my Dreamcast fans at?
Where ya at?

That's my fave system.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 09:06:11 am »
Thank God SF IV is coming out on Windows, which is what I use to run Fallout 3. PC gaming is the reason why I've never needed a PS3 or 360, although we should all bow our heads slightly in reverence when referring to the PlayStation 2. What I'm loving about SF IV is that it's being true to the game of old while bringing itself into the 21st century at the same time. If Vega actually climbs a fence, I'm going to have a fit.

BTW - whatever happened to Mortal Kombat? Or better yet, remember Killer Instinct? (Of course you don't.)

This is the famous parry comeback in Third Strike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

That made me all tingly in my naughty bits. Goddamn. I used to hate doing 40,000 flutter kicks and barely making any damage because the asshole was blocking them all.

Question: which was cheating more - using the Indian guy to blow fire all the time, or using Blanka to be electrical so nobody could touch you? And how come I can blow through MK: Deception in a matter of minutes, but Goro from MK:II is STILL beating my ass? Okay, now I'm firing up my SNES rom!

In terms to the console wars - and again, fully acknowledging the force that was PS2 (I owned a slender silver one and may get another one solely for Dance Dance Revolution), I still stan for Nintendo. I think it all boils down to which franchise you prefer, not your level of gaming - especially since most of the games are released on multiple platforms. Nintendo has the monopoly on Mario, Metroid AND Zelda, games I grew up on. And for all the 360/PS3 lovers who talk about how kiddiefied Nintendo is, I've never seen them last longer than five minutes on a game like Ocarina of Time without throwing their hands up in the air and talking about how "bored" they are - "bored" being gamerspeak for "I can't get past this level" or "what the f*ck is a Deku Stick?" Anybody who spent five months defeating "A Link to the Past" isn't about to be taken by the likes of "Grand Theft Auto" - likewise, anybody who plays fast paced games like GTA doesn't want anything to do with a game that may require 20 times to get to the ledge and burn the webs before the timer goes off and kicks to the beginning of the palace. I was playing "Super Mario Galaxy" last night, and it took me over 40 tries to beat one puzzle. And yet, that's what Nintendo fans call fun. I think we probably get laid the least. :)

Kicking it old school for a bit, this is incredible! Nintendo fans may remember Mario Paint - and if you don't, I feel sorry for you. That fly swatting game was the sh*t! And speaking of old school, I got my hands on a NES the other day, and I can't even hit the ducks anymore! Not even standing with the zapper to the screen! (Don't act like I was the only one who did this.) How the hell did we play these games back in the day - no walkthroughs, no save points, no internet...just old fashioned gaming. I kind of miss it.

The Mortal Kombat franchise peaked after MK II. The whole thing with Mortal Kombat was shock value it was cartoon violence with actors not cartoons. Once the initial "Oh Snap!" value wore off folks notices that the controls weren't as crisp and intuitive as Street Fighter's. So none of the MK games made after MK 3 were recieved all that well. But it's Midway's cash cow they CAN'T give up on it.  So you get a series of really bad sequels. MK v. DC might be the first MK since two that folks care about.

Killer Instinct? Boy, that takes me back. The jacked up control system of MK married with stiff ugly graphics. I'm amazed it did as well as it did.

I've owned nearly every system, I'm more of a Sega(Genesis, Dreamcast) and Sony (PS 1 and 2) person than a Nintendo person (NES) but I'll give Nentendo this: There were the only guys to realize that A) being able to see all the bullet holes you drill in somebody doesn't make your game any better and  B) playing with others is more fun when the others are really there . Nintendo may not have the best graphics, but they tend to focus of stuff that people normally assocate with "fun", exploring, collecting, learning a new skill. Its why their core games (Mario, Pokemon) do so well.

The other guys are going spead millions of dollars, employ a development team of hundreds only to make games that barely brak even AFTER you release it for every platfrm in creation.

Jenn

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 02:35:41 pm »
I disagree that blu-ray is overrated garbage, you need to have good stereo equipment and a good TV to maximize BDs potential.

That's like saying in order to maximize Vista, you need a better processor, motherboard, and RAM. I'm not buying new sh*t in order to maximize the new sh*t I just bought, and this is from someone whose HTPC has Blu-Ray. I'm not knocking it - it's great if you already have it - but it's nothing to rush out and buy. I absolutely agree that Blu-Ray is beautiful and you can indeed tell the difference, but when you're engrossed in a movie, who cares about the pixels on the screen? Wait until Blu-Ray becomes standard. The first DVD player I bought back in 1999 for my parents was $269, and now you can get them at Wal-Mart. Give it a year or two and BR is going to be the same way. I see computers being sold for up to two Gs and they still don't come with BR DVD players/burners. That just ain't right.

Killer Instinct? Boy, that takes me back. The jacked up control system of MK married with stiff ugly graphics. I'm amazed it did as well as it did.

"Killer Instict makes Mortal Kombat look like child's play!" No, Killer Instinct makes Mortal Kombat look like a functioning game. I will say that some of the later MK games had great graphics; Deception, for example, is beautiful. But SK was the cleaner, crisper game by far. SK IV comes out for the PC in June/July, and I will be pacing the floor until then. I WILL buy another system just for a Zelda game, but not for SF.

Nintendo may not have the best graphics, but they tend to focus of stuff that people normally assocate with "fun", exploring, collecting, learning a new skill. Its why their core games (Mario, Pokemon) do so well.

Yeah, but to criticize them, Nintendo, IMO, focuses too much on the casual gamer. Wii is great, and the Zelda/Mario fangirl in me likes it well enough, but to me, it's STILL not the best system they've made; that honor goes to the Super Nintendo. Nerds are what made Nintendo what it is - we defended our ugly cartridges, Memory Paks, and bulky controllers while you cool bastards were already on CD-ROM. The cool kids played Madden and MK; the nerds played Super Mario World. And we loved it, and we want it back, goddamn it! I want to solve puzzles and figure out stuff, not drive a plastic wheel like a retard and swing a remote in the air to kill my enemies. Yeah, that's fun IF YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED NINTENDO BEFORE. And that's the problem with Wii as I see it - it's not for the loyal fans as much as it is for the new gamers. (Hell, I was clinging on to my Game Cube until last month.) So they play Mario Kart Wii, which is a perfectly fun game, but they'll never know the agony that was Rainbow Road in SNES, or how Battle Mode ripped families apart. I remember my boyfriend (the big Halo jock) and I screaming at each other because he didn't understand the concept of a bombing a "fake wall". "It's a WALL! It's right there! How can it be a fake wall!? When you throw a bomb at a WALL, it's supposed to fall down! F*ck this, I'm going to play Madden!!!" I'm also not a fan of "replayability" equating to "find all 120 Power Stars in the light AND dark world with both Mario and Luigi" or "stay in first place for all the laps and get knocked out by a blue shell that you can't even get yourself at the very end". Some things are just tedious as f*ck - and tedious is Nintendo's middle name.

One thing that Nintendo also does well is make games fun enough for one player. Being an only child, I never did get into the multiplayer thing, and I've played online long enough to prefer not to, especially with PC games like Diablo (also known as Jenn's Lord and Savior). So MK is great fun for my aunt's three kids to beat enough up with their little plastic wheels, but it's also good for me alone, especially since you can play Wii games online - which is great if you like getting your ass kicked by hackers in Japan.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:09:11 pm by Jenn »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 03:55:11 pm »
I hate the Blu Ray player..the mechanism is so slow when you load a disc that 30 second delay drives me CRAZY.  It's also a bad time to introduce a new format when the DVD market is mature and there's not a big enough difference to buy a) a new player and b) replace huge DVD collections with the same movies in a new format.  In these tough times, that is not a priority. 

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 04:43:52 pm »
I hate the Blu Ray player..the mechanism is so slow when you load a disc that 30 second delay drives me CRAZY.   

Aww, see that's f*cked up 'cause I was just thinking about investing in a blu-ray player.   

Jenn

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 05:01:15 pm »
I hate the Blu Ray player..the mechanism is so slow when you load a disc that 30 second delay drives me CRAZY.

A lot of people hated the DVD player when it came out. My parents did. I threatened to take it back when I left for college because they were still renting VHS tapes and hadn't even cracked the plastic on two of the three DVDs I bought for them with the f*cking thing.

replace huge DVD collections with the same movies in a new format

See, that makes me laugh because I own like...10 DVDs, and my friends don't think I have sh*t. Then I fire up the HTPC and they're shocked that I have the entire series of Roots (including the next generation) and all 14 episodes of "Eyes on the Prize" (which were a BITCH to rip and convert).

Aww, see that's f*cked up 'cause I was just thinking about investing in a blu-ray player.   

Okay, where are the PC gamers up in this bitch?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:04:28 pm by Jenn »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 05:03:44 pm »
DREAMCASTers, mount up!
 8)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Jenn

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 05:08:43 pm »
*listens to more crickets* I forgot how much the Dreamcast was, but I think that's why you're the only one who loved it.

Okay, Super Mario World is one of the most hacked emulated games in the world, and I would LOVE to give this hack a try. Too bad it's in Japanese. A player of this hack shows how it took him 134 tries to get through the first level alone.

A SMB1 hack with commentary. Can't stop laughing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:26:59 pm by Jenn »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:03 am »
I’m a Dreamcast fan.

When the system came out it was considered one of the better system launches because so many great arcade game translation came out with it at launch. It had launch games for it like House of the Dead, Hydro-Thunder and Soul-Calibur.

It was a great system if you liked fighting games like Soul-Calbur Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 and Street Fighter Alpha. It also had innovative games like Seaman and Jet Grind Radio. 

But two things killed it. One was that since Electronic Arts was in competition with Sega at the time for sports games supremacy they refused to release Madden for the Dreamcast. That was a deal-breaker for a lot of guys. It didn’t matter how good Football 2K was it wasn’t Madden. That was all that mattered. The second thing was that the PS 2 also played DVDs. Remember back then not everybody had a DVD player. Folks bought the PS 2 just to play DVDs since when the thing came out there were no decent games for it. Dude bought the Playstation 2, played their DVD’s and waited for the games to get good. By the time all that got underway, other companies decided to follow Electronic Arts’ lead.   

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 09:53:35 am »
I own a Dreamcast, but I only bought it for Marvel vs. Capcom.  That's all I played on it.  Street Fighter II and all it's sequels were the ONLY reason I played video games before the next generation consoles came out.  I agree that MK lost it's luster after MK II and Killer Instinct, Primal Rage and Pit Fighter were all poor attempts to cash in on the fighting game craze.  Who remembers this on the Sega Genesis...A, B, A, C, A, B, B!  ;D 

I used to be an avid PC Gamer....especially Diablo, Doom, Quake, Command and Conquer, Warcraft/Starcraft, and I'm pretty sure I bought every Star Trek and Star Wars game made for PC, but when I really got into consoles, I jumped off of them.  I'm starting to get a little nostalgic, so I may have to pick them back up again.  ;D

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 09:57:21 am »
Thank God SF IV is coming out on Windows, which is what I use to run Fallout 3. PC gaming is the reason why I've never needed a PS3 or 360, although we should all bow our heads slightly in reverence when referring to the PlayStation 2. What I'm loving about SF IV is that it's being true to the game of old while bringing itself into the 21st century at the same time. If Vega actually climbs a fence, I'm going to have a fit.

BTW - whatever happened to Mortal Kombat? Or better yet, remember Killer Instinct? (Of course you don't.)
It is impossible for me not to remember the ultra combos that some dude would do with saberwulf. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cOXPLU5W4&feature=related I have nightmares dealing with saberwoufs when i was around 12-14 lol.
I’m a Dreamcast fan.

When the system came out it was considered one of the better system launches because so many great arcade game translation came out with it at launch. It had launch games for it like House of the Dead, Hydro-Thunder and Soul-Calibur.

It was a great system if you liked fighting games like Soul-Calbur Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 and Street Fighter Alpha, Third Strike, Rival Schools, . It also had innovative games like Seaman and Jet Grind Radio. 

But two things killed it. One was that since Electronic Arts was in competition with Sega at the time for sports games supremacy they refused to release Madden for the Dreamcast. That was a deal-breaker for a lot of guys. It didn’t matter how much better Football 2K was it wasn’t Madden. That was all that mattered. The second thing was that the PS 2 also played DVDs. Remember back then not everybody had a DVD player. Folks bought the PS 2 just to play DVDs since when the thing came out there were no decent games for it. Dude bought the Playstation 2, played their DVD’s and waited for the games to get good. By the time all that got underway, other companies decided to follow Electronic Arts’ lead.   

Fixed lol ;D Im a dreamcast fan myself. the sole reason to get the dreamcast was the fighting games.

I disagree that blu-ray is overrated garbage, you need to have good stereo equipment and a good TV to maximize BDs potential. I have seen the Dark Knight in both Blu-ray and regular DVD and there is no comparison, action movies are better on Blu-ray. I am waiting for Arkham Asylum and I hear Sony is making God of War III woo hoo!
So in other words it looks prettier with more "content". I wont deny playing games on the 360 with HD makes a difference but that isnt enough to sell me in why I should get a blu-ray player.  In addition, when things changed from VHS to DVD at the time that was a major change and in shift in viewing films. The shift from DVD to blu-ray is not even close.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:08 am »
I’m a Dreamcast fan.

It was a great system if you liked fighting games like Soul-Calbur Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 and Street Fighter Alpha. It also had innovative games like Seaman and Jet Grind Radio. 

But two things killed it. One was that since Electronic Arts was in competition with Sega at the time for sports games supremacy they refused to release Madden for the Dreamcast. That was a deal-breaker for a lot of guys. It didn’t matter how good Football 2K was it wasn’t Madden. That was all that mattered. The second thing was that the PS 2 also played DVDs. Remember back then not everybody had a DVD player. Folks bought the PS 2 just to play DVDs since when the thing came out there were no decent games for it. Dude bought the Playstation 2, played their DVD’s and waited for the games to get good. By the time all that got underway, other companies decided to follow Electronic Arts’ lead.   

Vic is right.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

the PS2's trojan horse was the dvd player and it worked.
And i STILL hate EA for what they did to the Dreamcast. I think that if Madden was on the DC, it would have competed well with the Playstation2. At that point, madden and playstation became synonymous.
F*** 'em!

that lineup is still consider the best launch lineup ever.
and dont get me started about jet grind. i love that game.

Viva La Dreamcast!
San Fran Rush 2049 is my favorite online DC game EVAR!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2009, 02:46:53 pm »
It was a great system if you liked fighting games like Soul-Calbur Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 and Street Fighter Alpha, Third Strike, Rival Schools,  . It also had innovative games like Seaman and Jet Grind Radio. 

I only played Rival Schools in the arcades.

Oh yeah...Street Fighter III.

The game that nearly killed the franchise.

Not only did SF 3 not continue the Alpha "storyline" P.O-ing all the heads:"Where's Guile, where's Cammy, where's Joe, where's Sakura... what is this?!?!" it debuted with a broken character-Alex with his suplex/bitchslap combo that there was no defense against.

THAT they fixed in the sequels.

Then there was Sean.

Sean was Ken's protege like Sakura was Joe's but he was a brotha(well actually he was from Brazil but nobody knew that then) .

His intro animation was him shooting a basketball while a pick-up truck full of Watermelons was in the background.

I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP, I SWEAR.

I'm surprised that Capcom didn't manage to work breakdancing and fried chicken in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:03:59 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 05:14:00 am »
"Prettier" is in the eye of the beholder ;D I still use stereo equipment I bought in japan in 1986 and it still has a better sound than a lot of the new stuff on the market today IMO, but that doesn't make blu-ray any less outstanding than it is. It all depends on choice, I made the switch from vhs tapes to dvds/blu-ray discs and eventually to the digital age as collecting hording large dvd collections are a pain in the ass to store/move around (I'm one of those people with absurd #s of dvds). Jenn again I agree that is a good point!