Author Topic: GAMERS THREAD  (Read 445697 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #915 on: December 28, 2016, 09:17:05 pm »
So the PS4 is finally at a low enough price that I would consider buying one.

Now I find out that the PS4 is even worse at backwards compatibility that the PS3 is. There is no cross platform play as near as I can tell and there is only a tiny library of PS2(!) games that I can get for download.

Or rent the (old as hell) games from Sony.

I am always amazed at what Sony can get away with.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 30, 2016, 07:37:32 am »
So the PS4 is finally at a low enough price that I would consider buying one.

Now I find out that the PS4 is even worse at backwards compatibility that the PS3 is. There is no cross platform play as near as I can tell and there is only a tiny library of PS2(!) games that I can get for download.

Or rent the (old as hell) games from Sony.

I am always amazed at what Sony can get away with.

The PlayStation 4 has a fascinating development cycle ; the electronic engineers are treating the console similar to the way the Personal Computer market grew which is to increase the hardware's performance and divide the damn thing  into slight variants to match the demand of the other auxiliary peripheral devices such as the television monitors, sound devices, internet capacity, disc functionality, wireless capacity and other interesting features still in 'the lab'  such as the occular technology or motion control functionality all the while satisfying a global customer base with gaming software that seems to reach... well, everyone.

I don't know a soul on this planet that has every single game, device  or electronic feature that runs on any PlayStation unit...

--- but the console  itself certainly has something for everyone.
As far as older games, a few months ago I picked up a freshly refurbished PlayStation 3 exclusively for the classic arcade roms (Williams Electronics Defender, Joust, Sinistar, Stargate and other titles from Atari like APB or Cyberball 20??) all packaged into a compilation DVD.
Yep... something for everyone!  :)
Many years from now,  I plan to approach the PlayStation 4 the same way.

It's a very exciting time since the invention of the video game and the older generation who stuck with this since the beginning get the best treats.  :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:44:31 am by Battle »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Laments of an aging game fan--
« Reply #917 on: December 31, 2016, 07:00:31 am »
I'm gradually being left behind on a regular basis in this world.   :-[

The first console I had at home was a Christmas gift of Intellivision circa '81 that eventually burned out a few years later; Mattel apparently sold the brand and the console was briefly revived in the late 80s and I received a second one for XMas again.  I held onto that console for years, pulling it out every now and then, until finally selling it as-is about three years ago.

I only bought a NES console at the tail end of my senior year in high school, when the Genesis was already out and the Super NES was months away. I only got to try out a handful of games for the NES before leaving it at home when I tried my first stint in college..

All the consoles of the 1990s passed me by.  I would try out the demonstration models in retail stores, but that's it, lol.  But I guess it's a good thing I never bothered with a NeoGeo or a Sega Saturn?   ;)

The Playstation 2 was already a big deal by the time I traded in boxes worth of comics for a PS1 system and a few games.  I guess I rolled with it for a year or so before eventually purchasing a PS2.  Then I sold both of them a few years later when money got tight; I ended up buying one of the slim-model PS2 consoles some months later. I  gradually bought a bunch of games, but it seems like I was primarily using it as a DVD player.  (Anyone remember when Gamestop sold movies?)  I guess it was about 18 months ago when I sold it and the stack of games I had.  So long, Madden games.  So long, Def Jam Vendetta 2.

In the meanwhile, I've never owned an X-Box or the upgrades, none of the 'modern' Nintendo systems, and I'm floored that PS3's are now passe', apparently.
I'll browse around in the big box retailers, and I see the new systems themselves at $350+ (granted they often come with 1-2 games now), and the controllers are $50--and of course, you 'must' buy one since it's been a standard for years now to just include one controller with the console-- New games typically retail for what, $60?  Whoa....
I was intrigued from afar by the Disney Infinity line-- certainly they had lots of neat micro sculptures of the characters (I've never bought any)-- then of course, that entire program got scrapped earlier this year.

I've still got an analog TV in my room. Wondering if it's even worth attempting to explore this stuff anymore.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:18:27 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 03, 2017, 02:30:37 pm »
Happy New Year!

I wouldn't say the PS3 was exactly dead. The console is fairly future proofed as much as a console can be.
You can still stream Netflix, listen to a CD (remember them?), or watch a DVD on it.

So there's still stuff you can do with the thing.

If you have a broadband internet connection you have access to a huge library of games available for download.

The newest big budget games will go straight to PS4 only going forward, but most heads I know weren't running out to
buy 60 dollar games on the day of release anyway.

So there's that.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 04, 2017, 05:20:38 am »
Happy New Year!

I wouldn't say the PS3 was exactly dead. The console is fairly future proofed as much as a console can be.
You can still stream Netflix, listen to a CD (remember them?), or watch a DVD on it.

So there's still stuff you can do with the thing.

...or one could connect a USB compatible mouse & keyboard and peruse HEF, again, if one has access to the internet.

Plus the incredible selection of mark down sports titles from EA SPORTS, San Diego Studios & 2K.
NHL Hockey and FIFA Soccer series is mad fun!

At the price point of a low end video card, can't beat that with a baseball bat!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:57 am »
Advance Wars: Days Of Ruin on Nintendo 2DS, yo!

This message was sent through my 2DS.  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:12:06 am by Battle »

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #921 on: January 18, 2017, 12:59:57 pm »
Just got me a PS4.  With a subscription, you can play older games.  I saw some free to play PS3 games and I hear they are adding a bunch of games every month or so, even from older systems.  I'm still playing around with it and it's amazing imho.

Oh yea and Battle, I'm done with Blizzard!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 20, 2017, 05:12:19 am »
Just got me a PS4.  With a subscription, you can play older games.  I saw some free to play PS3 games and I hear they are adding a bunch of games every month or so, even from older systems.  I'm still playing around with it and it's amazing imho.

Oh yeah...?

Which one?

The Pro?
The Slim?
The VR?

Another message sent through my 2DS.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #923 on: January 20, 2017, 05:49:08 am »

Oh yeah...?

Which one?

The Pro?
The Slim?
The VR?

Another message sent through my 2DS.

Picked up the Pro.  Looks amazing on the 80"!  Why didn't I try this before.   ;D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 20, 2017, 10:23:55 am »

Picked up the Pro.  Looks amazing on the 80"!  Why didn't I try this before.   ;D

Yeah, that 4K resolution is no joke when connected to a actual 4K television.  :)

Since today is an uneventful day, I'm gonna sample the Playstation VR kiosk.

I don't care what platform or device, we need to play as competitors or a team online, dude.   Quit f*ckin' around!  ;D

This message was not sent through my 2DS:)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #925 on: January 20, 2017, 02:47:54 pm »

Yeah, that 4K resolution is no joke when connected to a actual 4K television.  :)

Since today is an uneventful day, I'm gonna sample the Playstation VR kiosk.

I don't care what platform or device, we need to play as competitors or a team online, dude.   Quit f*ckin' around!  ;D

This message was not sent through my 2DS:)

Unfortunately, no 4k yet but soon.  As for competitive play, I RAGE too much, I'd have to buy a system every 3 months or so.   >:(

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 20, 2017, 04:11:13 pm »

Finally come to your senses and decided to stop beta testing their half ass games, eh?   ;D

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 04, 2017, 09:51:15 am »
Hmm... So what's Dishonored?  Besides a conduit for revenge against rogue boos?  ???

In the original DH, you're the queen's royal protector (Corvo) framed for murder and the kidnapping of her child, Emily. You can clear your name in a merciful, somewhat lawful way, or you can cause death and destruction for everyone around you.

In the sequel, the Empress is now the Empress (and your daughter) and your crazy-ass auntie has come to steal her throne. You can play as Corvo or Emily this go-round.

Replaying Bioshock Infinite now. I forgot how GOOD this game is. But Lord, y'all, I'm still playing on my Westinghouse 47" monitor...I need a real TV so I can see what real ultra setting graphics actually look like.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:57:17 am by Maxine Shaw »
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 14, 2017, 09:51:58 am »
X-COM: Enemy Unknown on the Playstation Vita, yo!

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #929 on: February 14, 2017, 02:40:43 pm »

Finally come to your senses and decided to stop beta testing their half ass games, eh?   ;D

lmao, you could say that.

Went old school for a bit and catching up on some JRPGs I never finished.