Author Topic: GAMERS THREAD  (Read 362458 times)

Offline Emperorjones

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 12538
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1125 on: September 13, 2021, 10:55:10 am »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:59:10 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 12538
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1126 on: September 14, 2021, 02:43:42 pm »
Cyberpunk 2077's Sexist and Transphobic Scandals Will Haunt It into Gaming Irrelevance

http://www.cbr.com/cyberpunk-2077-sexist-transphobic-scandals-overshadow-gameplay/

Offline Emperorjones

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 12538
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1127 on: October 02, 2021, 10:17:21 am »
Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong Introduces Final Playable Character

http://www.cbr.com/vampire-masquerade-swansong-emem/

Kratos actor says God of War Ragnarok was delayed due to his health


http://www.polygon.com/22702105/god-of-war-ragnarok-christopher-judge-kratos-actor-injury-delay
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:24:19 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 12538
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1128 on: October 25, 2021, 04:38:25 am »
Chiké Okonkwo Praises 'Call of Duty: Vanguard' For Its 'Diverse, Global Perspective' On WW2

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chik-c3-a9-okonkwo-praises-call-of-duty-vanguard-for-its-diverse-global-perspective-on-ww2/ar-AAPH8bM

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11073
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1129 on: November 18, 2021, 03:44:11 pm »
Thursday, 18th November 2021
Ubisoft’s toxic culture problems allegedly span more than a decade of abuse
by Megan Farokhmanesh  and  @Megan_Nicolett






Ubisoft is again under fire for allegations of sexual harassment, misconduct, and endemic problems of sexism and racism across the company.

In a report published today, Bloomberg extensively details inappropriate behavior by top executives and managers, particularly around chief creative officer Serge Hascoët.

The games industry is once again experiencing an outpouring of #MeToo stories.

Over the past few weeks, Ubisoft in particular has been a hotbed for stories of systemic abuse.

Several employees have already come forward publicly on Twitter to discuss harassment they endured at Ubisoft.

A previous report from Kotaku pointed to top executives Tommy François and Maxime Béland, among others, as perpetrators of grossly over-the-line behavior, including one instance during which Béland allegedly put his hands around a female employee’s neck.

In Bloomberg’s story today, current and former staffers say that employees have made repeated claims to HR for years.

They describe Ubisoft as a boys club, where employees like Hascoët would hold business meetings at strip clubs.

Women shared stories of managers telling them to smile more and making grossly inappropriate comments about their bodies, and colleagues who sent them explicit messages and videos.

According to Bloomberg, employees repeatedly reported abusers like Béland and François to HR; both were still promoted after claims were made.

The problems don’t stop there.

Bloomberg reports:

In 2015 a group of staff in Sofia, Bulgaria, were watching a trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens featuring the actor John Boyega, who’s Black.

“People just collectively went, ‘Hey, look, it’s a monkey,’” says Fey Vercuiel, a former designer on the team.





The full report, which includes many more details about the developer’s culture and reticence to create games with female leads, is worth a read.

Earlier this month, Ubisoft held a digital event to reveal Far Cry 6 and talk about several of its upcoming projects, without addressing the ongoing problems at its studio.

In a followup tweet, the company said that “we still have significant work to do and are committed to this process.”












Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11073
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1130 on: November 18, 2021, 10:21:43 pm »
Friday, 19th November Two Thousand & Twenty One
Microsoft Xbox boss Phil Spencer tells staff he’s ‘deeply troubled’ by Activision Blizzard
by Sean Hollister






Following a bombshell Wall Street Journal report that Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick allegedly knew, withheld, and even participated in harassment and abusive behavior, the company’s big console partners Sony and Microsoft are semi-privately expressing their distress.

Bloomberg is now reporting that Microsoft boss Phil Spencer has now told staff he was “disturbed and deeply troubled by the horrific events and actions” at Activision Blizzard and that Microsoft is “evaluating all aspects of our relationship with Activision Blizzard and making ongoing proactive adjustments” as a result.

Yesterday, Bloomberg also reported that Sony PlayStation boss Jim Ryan had told employees that the company had expressed “deep concern” with Activision Blizzard, adding that

“[we] do not believe their statements of response properly address the situation.”

These private statements from Sony and Microsoft obviously don’t carry anywhere near the same weight as if these companies publicly called out the situation at Activision Blizzard, and it’s not clear if either company is interested in taking any concrete actions yet.

Activision Blizzard is one of the most powerful publishers in the video game industry, and both console makers rely on them to provide new big-budget games for their consoles.

That said, Microsoft and Sony also want to be seen as committed to a less toxic video game industry, and Phil Spencer, in particular, has made combating toxicity part of his public brand.

“This type of behavior has no place in our industry,” reads part of Spencer’s new memo about Activision Blizzard, according to Bloomberg.

While over 500 Activision Blizzard employees have signed a petition to remove CEO Bobby Kotick from the company, and some shareholders have demanded his resignation, the board of directors has so far signaled they’re confident in his leadership.











Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11073
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1131 on: November 19, 2021, 09:32:22 am »
Friday, 19th November  Twenty One
Over 1,200 Activision Blizzard Employees Sign Petition Demanding CEO Bobby Kotick Quit
by Luke Plunkett









The ABK Workers Alliance, a group of Activision Blizzard workers formed in response to the company’s treatment of its employees, began circulating a petition earlier today for anyone working at the publisher’s studios and offices to sign.

It has now been endorsed by over 1,200 workers.

This isn’t a random anonymous petition we’re talking about here; this is a public record where each worker puts their name and studio on the line in support of a statement condemning the actions of CEO Bobby Kotick, and demanding his immediate resignation.



The statement the signatures are in support of reads:



We, the undersigned, no longer have confidence in the leadership of Bobby Kotick as the CEO of Activision Blizzard.

The information that has come to light about his behaviors and practices in the running of our companies runs counter to the culture and integrity we require of our leadership—and directly conflicts with the initiatives started by our peers.

We ask that Bobby Kotick remove himself as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and that shareholders be allowed to select the new CEO without the input of Bobby, who we are aware owns a substantial portion of the voting rights of the shareholders.




At time of publishing, there have been 1,211 signatures, which is roughly 12% of Activision Blizzard’s total workforce.

While that figure seems low given the extent of the deeds being protested here, the fact workers are putting their names to it, and potentially their jobs and careers on the line in doing so, actually makes it a very impressive figure.

In response to public support of those taking part, ABK Workers Alliance have also made a public petition that fans can sign in solidarity.



Its statement reads:

Bobby Kotick has proved that he does not care about his employees, and that he is not fit to be the CEO of Activision Blizzard.

This petition will not guarantee his removal, but it will show him that we are not okay with him blatantly ignoring the cries of his employees.

Having a petition with Activision Blizzard consumer signatures should show him how much we think he is unfit for his position.

He has taken advantage of his employees for years, and this petition is only a small stepping stone.

It is absolutely horrendous that someone with such power looks past all the cries of help.

This petition will show that he has had his time as CEO, and he clearly cannot do it well.

He needs to be removed.




At time of publication this petition has been signed over 7,000 times.

Kotick, despite having literally no defensible reason to remain in his position, has yet to resign, or be ousted by a complicit board of directors.

























« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:41:56 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11073
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1132 on: November 21, 2021, 10:32:26 am »
Sunday, 21st November Twenty One
Former Bungie Composer Tells Fans To 'Destroy' Destiny Music He Published Against Court Orders
by Zack Zwiezen






Marty O’Donnell, the former audio director at Bungie who worked on Halo and Destiny for years, was forced by a court to upload a video yesterday asking folks to stop sharing and publishing video game music he uploaded online without legal permission and against court orders.

In the short video, the composer even asks fans to “destroy” any copies of the music they might still have.

On Mr. O’Donnell’s YouTube channel, the composer uploaded a 45-second video yesterday that contains a pre-written and court-approved message asking people to stop sharing or publishing “non-commercially available material related to Destiny or Music of the Spheres.”

His full statement can be read below.

“To whom it may concern,

I do not have, and have not had since at least April 2014, the legal authority to possess or distribute non-commercially available material related to Destiny or Music of the Spheres (including material I composed or created while working for Bungie).

This material is owned by Bungie. If you posted any of these assets on a website or other publicly available platform, you should remove the content immediately. If you have copies of these assets, you should refrain from sharing and destroy any copies of them.

This request does not apply to any Destiny or Music of the Spheres material that you lawfully obtained from commercially available sources.”




Back in 2010, three years after Bungie and Microsoft parted ways, the studio began working with Activision on a 10-year development plan to create the Destiny franchise.

And, it was decided by Bungie and O’Donnell that, rather than create music for each planned installment of the game, O’Donnell would compose a large score for the entire franchise and all future games.

After two years of composing alongside Michael Salvatori, and former Beatle Paul McCartney, they had created a large eight-part score called “The Music of Spheres.”

But before E3 2013, Activision decided to not use his music for Destiny 1's E3 2013 trailer.

According to court docs from back in 2015, O’Donnell was furious about the change and directly complained to Bungie CEO Harold Ryan.

The rest of Bungie management agreed that Activision overstepped and filed a formal complaint, but the publisher overruled it.

Mr. O’Donnell’s plans to release the project as a separate release were denied by both Bungie and Activision.

This ultimately led to O’Donnell going online when the Activision-scored E3 trailer premiered and tweeting that the music was not Bungie’s, leading to a clash with the developer and eventually after further issues between the studio and composer, he was fired without cause on April 11th, 2014.

Lawsuits followed.

In one lawsuit—which O’Donnell won—he still was ordered to return “all material” from Destiny and “Music of the Spheres”—not just the final scores, but every version, component, and variation.

However, in 2019 (following 2018 leaks of “Music of the Spheres” score online) O’Donnell began uploading music from the project.

Bungie’s lawyers argued this directed violated the previous injunction and in May 2021, a judge ruled in Bungie’s favor.

In September of this year, O’Donnell was found in contempt of court for his continuous use of Destiny assets, including uploading song clips online long after he was fired and left Bungie in 2014.

According to Eurogamer, such use violated the terms of a previous lawsuit.

He was forced to pay Bungie nearly $100,000 and ordered to create a video explaining that he did not have the authority to provide this music or material.

Moreover, O’Donnell was to tell anyone who downloaded the assets to refrain from sharing them and to destroy any copies of them.

Now, nearly two months later and after both sides of the legal fight agreed to the text, that video has been uploaded to both his YouTube and Twitter accounts.

It would seem like the end of this long legal battle, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a new wrinkle or chapter in this saga pops up in the not-too-distant future.



















Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11073
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1133 on: November 21, 2021, 02:59:37 pm »
Sunday, 21st november  Twenty One
PlayStation Pulls Call of Duty: Vanguard From Featured Section Following Activision Allegations
by Jack Dwyer






The platform removed Activision’s latest Call of Duty release from its Featured collection earlier this week.

Call of Duty (COD) Vanguard’s absence was first noted on Friday, November 19th.

While PlayStation has not confirmed the connection between the two, sources have speculated that this was done in retaliation to the active lawsuit and investigation against Activision Blizzard spanning the past few months.

Both PlayStation and its console rival, Xbox, have spoken out against Activision Blizzard for the accusations against it and its CEO, Bobby Kotick.

Of course, the title hasn’t been delisted completely.

PlayStation players can still find it on the storefront if they want to.

Ryan first came forward and issued a response to the rapidly-evolving harassment, enabling, and discrimination accusations against Activision Blizzard on Wednesday, November 17th.

According to the statement issued to employees, noted by Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, Ryan was “disheartened and frankly stunned to read” about the situation.
 
He reached out to Activision with the question of how they were planning to address the claims made through the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday, November 16th.

“We do not believe their statements of response properly address the situation,” Ryan wrote.

Phil Spencer, Xbox CEO, noted he was “evaluating all aspects of [their] relationship” with Activision Blizzard.

”This type of behavior has no place in our industry,” he wrote.

DBLTAP cannot confirm if Xbox will follow suit or attempt to remove the title from its storefront completely.

Nevertheless, fans have been praising PlayStation for its actions in attempting to both support the victims and publicly display its disappointment with Activision.

Other organizations that have broken with Activision include Girls Who Code, a nonprofit that aims to support women in programming and introduce more young women to the field.





















Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11073
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: GAMERS THREAD
« Reply #1134 on: November 23, 2021, 10:05:41 am »
Tuesday, 23rd November  Twenty One
Nintendo Also Calls For Activision blizzard CEO Kotick Resignation

by Ash Parrish








Nintendo joined Microsoft and PlayStation to become the latest publisher to internally criticize the company.

According to a report from Fanbyte, Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser wrote an email saying,

“I find these accounts distressing and disturbing. They run counter to my values as well as Nintendo’s beliefs, values, and policies.”

Activision Blizzard’s new committee will ensure regular progress updates to the board concerning key accountability measures while promising to add a “new, diverse director to the board.”

Meanwhile, as external pressure mounts, a cohort of shareholders have demanded Kotick’s resignation while employees staged a second walkout and created a petition with over 1,800 signatures similarly demanding the CEO step down.




















« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:15:21 am by Battle »