Author Topic: Luke Cage aka Powerman Respect Thread  (Read 52275 times)

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
Luke Cage aka Powerman Respect Thread
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:06:40 pm »

Carl Lucas of the New York Police Department was locked up in Seagate Prison for drug offenses he had never committed. Luke's former love had been killed by gangsters when Luke's friend became involved in crime. Cage needed to get out and prove himself innocent. In Seagate there was a brutal prison guard captain named Rackham, who was very racist and hated Luke. Luke volunteered for a cellular regeneration experiment to win early parole. Luke got into the chemical bath, but found that he could not get out, as Captain Rackham had sabotaged the machine in an attempt to kill him. Its electric power overloaded and Luke broke free, punching Rackham through a wall, only to be gunned down and fall off a cliff. Luke found himself with steel-hard fists and a steel-hard body. Walking away from prison, he foiled a mugging and decided to become a "hero for hire." Subsequently, the charges against him were ultimately dropped and his name was cleared.

Luke Cage wields considerable super-human strength, endurance, stamina, and healing abilities, He is capable of recovering from injuries in 1/3rd the time it would take an ordinary human, it is a result of the cellular regeneration experiment in which he participated in prison in which the prison guard Captain Rackham sabotaged in an unsuccessful attempt to kill him. Cage's skin is resistant to the damages of bullet and puncture wounds, extreme temperatures, and most types of acids. Cage's skin is approximately as durable as titanium.

Initially, Luke Cage's strength was roughly in the Marvel Class 7-10 (7 to 10 ton lifting capacity) area at his maximum level, about the same as Spider-Man. A second treatment has blessed him with strength in the Class 20 range, enabling him to lift a little over 25 tons. He can withstand up to one-ton impacts, survive falls from great heights or blasts of 150 pounds of TNT without serious injury, and is highly resistant to extreme temperatures and electrical shocks.

The process that give him his powers.

List of titles

* Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #1 (June 1972) - Origin and first appearance of Luke Cage; introduction of Noah Burstein, Reva Connors, Shades, Comanche, and Willis Stryker (Diamondback)
* Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #2 (August 1972) - Introduction of Claire Temple and D.W. Griffith; death of Diamondback
* Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #8-9 (April-May 1973) - Cage travels to Latveria and encounters Doctor Doom; first meeting with the Fantastic Four (Reed, Ben, Johnny & Medusa)
* Amazing Spider-Man #123 (August 1973) - First meeting between Cage and Spider-Man (reprinted in Marvel Tales #100)
* Power Man #17 (February 1974) - Luke meets Iron Man and later assumes the code name "Power Man"
* Power Man #21 (October 1974) - Luke battles Erik Josten (Atlas of the Thunderbolts) for the use of the Power Man name
* Defenders #17 (November 1974) - Cage's first encounter with the Defenders
* Fantastic Four #168-170 (March-May 1976) - Cage is hired by Reed Richards as a temporary replacement for Ben Grimm in the Fantastic Four
* Power Man #48-50 (December 1977-April 1978) - Cage's first encounter with Iron Fist (Danny Rand), Misty Knight & Colleen Wing; first appearance of Bushmaster; Cage is cleared of all pending criminal charges and becomes partners with Iron Fist
* Marvel Tales #100 (February 1979) - reprints Amazing Spider-Man #123
* Power Man & Iron Fist #75 (November 1981) - Luke accompanies Danny to K'un-Lun
* Daredevil v1 #178 / Power Man & Iron Fist #77 (January 1982) - Cage & Iron Fist meet Daredevil
* Power Man & Iron Fist #125 (September 1986) - In a plot later revealed to have been engineered by Master Khan, a H'ylthri doppleganger of Iron Fist is killed by the Super-Skrull; Cage becomes a fugitive, having been framed for Iron Fist's apparent murder; last issue of Power Man & Iron Fist
* Punisher #60-62 (February-April 1992) - Cage teams with a disguised Punisher (who has been medically altered to appear African-American); first appearance of Luke's new costume; "Power Man" code name is dropped; prelude to the Cage series
* Cage (Vol. 1) #1 (April 1992) - First appearance of Hardcore
* Cage (Vol. 1) #5-8 (August-November 1992) - "The Evil and the Cure"
* Cage (Vol. 1) #12 (March 1993) - Cage & Iron Fist share a tense and bitter reunion; first appearance together in 6½ years
* Icon #13 (May 1994) - "It's Always Christmas" - Milestone Comics introduces the character "Buck Wild, Mercenary Man", a parody/tribute to the 1970s characterization of Luke Cage
* Heroes for Hire #1 (July 1997) - Iron Fist recruits Cage for the new Heroes for Hire, run by Jim Hammond (the original Human Torch from World War II)
* Heroes for Hire #17 (November 1998) - Luke and the She-Hulk go out on a date; first mention of Luke's mastery of multiple languages; first hint of future depiction of Luke as a womanizer
* Marvel Knights (Vol. 1) #11-15 (May-September 2001) - Luke is associated with an unnamed team of street-level New York vigilantes, including Daredevil, Moon Knight, Dagger, Shang-Chi, and the Black Widow.
* Alias #1 (November 2001) - First appearance of Jessica Jones; Luke and Jessica have a one-night stand; Luke has abandoned his costume and wears regular street clothes from this point forward
* Cage (Vol. 2) #1-5 (March-July 2002) - Marvel MAX miniseries by Brian Azzarello; Cage battles Tombstone; Cage is depicted with a thuggish persona (which many fans denounce as stereotypical and perhaps racist)
* Alias #28 (January 2004) - Jessica tells Luke that she is pregnant with his baby; the two officially become a couple
* Daredevil v2 #56 (March 2004) - Cage and several other heroes confront Daredevil about his self-appointed status as the new Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen
* The Pulse #5 (November 2004) - The Green Goblin attacks the pregnant Jessica Jones; Cage retaliates and defeats the Goblin, permanently exposing the villain's true identity as Norman Osborn in the process
* New Avengers #3 (March 2005) - In the wake of a massive supervillain prison break at The Raft, Cage joins the Avengers
* Ultimates 2 #6 (July 2005) - First appearance of the Ultimate Universe version of Power Man, a non-powered, would-be superhero and member of the Defenders (a non-powered, would-be superhero team)
* House of M #2-7 (August-November 2005) - In an altered reality where mutants dominate humans, Luke Cage is the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen
* Black Panther #10 (January 2006) - "First" meeting between Cage and the Black Panther; retelling/retconning of Cage's origin
* Black Panther #10-13 (January-April 2006) - "Two the Hard Way": Cage accompanies the Black Panther on his search for a bride, encountering the Falcon, Shang-Chi, Blade, Brother Voodoo and Monica Rambeau along the way
* The Pulse #13 (March 2006) - Jessica Jones gives birth to a girl; Luke proposes to Jessica
* The Pulse #14 (April 2006) - First meeting between Luke and Jessica is recounted in flashback; Jessica tells her newborn baby that she will marry Luke
* New Avengers Annual #1 (2006) - Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are married ("Stan Lee" performs the ceremony)
* New Avengers #22 (September 2006) - Luke and Jessica refuse to register under the Superhuman Registration Act; Luke becomes a fugitive and joins Captain America's alliance of heroes against the Act, while Jessica expatriates to Canada with the baby

Discussions about Luke Cage!

http://www.hudlinentertainment.com/smf/index.php?topic=4272.0;viewResults
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:39:44 am by Tahdigga »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Luke Cage aka Powerman Respect Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »
 i approve of this thread
 8)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:01:43 pm »
Cage vs Hulk

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:18:30 pm »
Luke Cage vs Ironman

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:39:26 pm »
Luke Cage vs Sabretooth

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:48:55 pm »
Luke Cage vs Doctor Doom

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:07:32 pm »
Luke Cage vs the Green Goblin

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:28:23 am »
The Luke Cage/Doom encounter is DA BIDNEZZ!!  I have a couple of copies of that issue.  The man borrowed a jet and flew half way around the world to collect $200!!  Now that's gangsta!  ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:13 am »
The Luke Cage/Doom encounter is DA BIDNEZZ!!  I have a couple of copies of that issue.  The man borrowed a jet and flew half way around the world to collect $200!!  Now that's gangsta!  ;D

No...
This is gangsta!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:39:54 am »
I especially like the way he handled Osborn... so many of the Spidey/Goblin fights are long and drawn out.. three punches, boom!
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:13:21 pm »
what book is this luke/osborn battle from?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 03:27:58 pm »
what book is this luke/osborn battle from?

The Pulse: Thin Air arc (Issues #1-5)  ;)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:07 pm »
Aww, those were the good old days.  :)

He beat Doom. He beat Sabretooth. And he's beaten Venom and Bullseye. That's 4 major villains from 4 famous superheroes. Coolness!

Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 03:44:08 pm »
Oh yeah... The Thunderbolts are coming for dat azz!
Just ask Luke if he's afraid... I did...i said:

Arvell: Hey...Luke Cage... you scared of the Thunda bolts comin' after you.
Luke: Helllll naw!

See.

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 07:47:22 pm »
Luke Cage vs Bullseye and Venom

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:53:05 pm by Tahdigga »