Author Topic: Luke Cage aka Powerman Respect Thread  (Read 62239 times)

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
Re: Luke Cage aka Powerman Respect Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 10:04:07 am »
Luke Cage Tribute Video

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:30 pm »
Our man, Cage, got a new mini coming out!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/john-arcudi-luke-cage-100115.html

Five years ago, when the Avengers was relaunched, Luke Cage became a central player in the Marvel Universe as a founding member of the New Avengers team.

In April, the character is getting his own mini-series by John Arcudi, the writer best known for his work on The Mask who recently won accolades for the Superman story he did in Wednesday Comics for DC.

The four-issue New Avengers: Luke Cage, with pencils by Eric Canete, tells a street-level story that returns Luke to his roots and ends up being an adventure involving a few familiar villains.

Newsarama talked with Arcudi about the mini-series and why this character appeals to him as a writer.

Nrama: John, just coming off the experience of Wednesday Comics, what is your overall impression of how that project came together?

John Arcudi: I was really happy about how Wednesday Comics came together, and especially happy that I was able to do the Superman segment with Lee Bermejo. The anthology ran the gamut from serious crime drama to fun, goofy super-heroics. It was a great, diverse package that editor Mark Chiarello put together, and from what I can see, fans loved it, which is also gratifying.

Nrama: What brought about the opportunity to do some work with Marvel on this Luke Cage series? Was it something you pitched, or something they offered to you?

Arcudi: The short answer is “yes.” The long answer is that editor Tom Brennan came to me and said he had an opportunity to do a Cage miniseries, and would I be interested? Obviously I was, so I pitched him my story, and here we are.

Nrama: How did you come up with the idea for the story?

Arcudi: Where do any ideas come from, really? But I will say that I got to thinking about what I liked in the early Luke Cage comics, and thought it might be fun to look at that same sort of street-level story in a modern setting. Snowballed from there, I guess.

Nrama: Were you familiar with the character? Or have you done a lot of research to catch up on what's happening with Luke Cage?

Arcudi: I love Luke Cage, but I was not familiar with what he’s been up to the last couple of years, so Tom Brennan had to catch me up with some copies of New Avengers. It was nice to see that Luke was still very much the character he had been, but in a new setting, and with a new family. The family thing struck me as odd at first, but the way I see it, if Luke didn’t have that family, it would be very difficult to keep him true to his character in the superhero world he’s now living in. It allows him to act like a human being and still remain committed to the group.

Nrama: What's your take on Luke Cage? Who is he and where is the character's head when we start this series?

Arcudi: My take is not so different from what he’s always been, or from how Bendis depicts him. He’s a guy with a strong sense of personal responsibility who is more sure of himself than maybe any other Marvel character. In this series, that sense of responsibility is aimed more at a specific community rather than at the larger sense of universal justice; that’s all.

Nrama: What's the story you'll be exploring in New Avengers: Luke Cage?

Arcudi: Luke discovers that an old friend, or rather the son of an old friend, has been following in his own footsteps down in North Philadelphia in a kind of “Hero-for-Hire” business. The young man, Leodis, has set up in the worst part of the city to help out people who couldn’t find help anywhere else. For his trouble, Leodis is beaten to a pulp. So now Luke feels that since this poor broken kid tried to be like him, he’s got to do something about this, which is to say, go kick some ass. But once he gets there, the facts are revealed to be a bit more complicated than what I’ve just told you. Ha haaaa. Psych!

Nrama: The solicitation for this mini-series talks about the "seedier side of the Marvel U." Does the comic have a darker feel to it? Or what makes it "seedy?"

Arcudi: “Seedier” is really a better word than “dark” here because Luke’s sense of right is not challenged. It’s just that the “bad guys” aren’t from another planet , don’t use robot suits, or shoot rays out of their eyes. They have dirt under their fingernails, you know? Well, more than just dirt. Drugs, too.

Nrama: What other familiar Marvel characters will we see showing up?

Arcudi: You’ll see Spider-Man and Ronin in the first issue, and Hammerhead, too. Later on in the series, another “repeat-offender” shows up, but he’s sort of a surprise, a little treat for long-time Luke Cage readers – reeeeally long time.

Nrama: Who plays the part of villain?

Arcudi: We have a few villains, actually – some you’ll know, some you won’t – but it’s up to the reader to decide who’s the worst of the bunch. My personal vote is for heroin and its sale and distribution. Obviously the person selling it is whom Luke has to strike out at, but in a way that I hope both surprises and satisfies readers.

Nrama: Brian Bendis hasn't made a secret of the fact he loves this character. Since he's active in New Avengers, is this mini-series working in conjunction with anything going on in that series (and did you have to arm wrestle Bendis for the chance to write this character)?

Arcudi: No, this series is sort of stand-alone. We wanted to go that way so that any new readers could simply jump on board without worrying about what they might have missed. And fortunately, Brian doesn’t seem to have the time to write everything so I snuck in on this one. We’ll see if I ever get another chance.

Nrama: Eric Canete brings a unique style to this comic. How does his art influence what you're writing, and what does he bring to the story?

Arcudi: Eric’s work is phenomenally graceful AND powerful, so I’m free to write pretty much anything. He can give North Philly all the rubble and broken windows it needs and still make it look beautiful, and then show you Luke’s fist hitting like a wrecking ball. He’s everything you’d want in an artist for this sort of story.

Nrama: Is there anything else you want to tell fans about New Avengers: Luke Cage?

Arcudi: Just that I’m really happy Luke Cage is a popular character again (thanks, Brian). He was in limbo for a while, and few characters deserved that fate less that Luke. Eric and I are hoping to add another layer to this complex character’s world – borrow from his past to flesh out his future, if you will. I’m sure readers will let us know if we succeeded.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 02:46:40 pm »
Good god, this art is ugly.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 03:03:05 pm »
I like the art. Just wish the line work was smoother.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
I agree with Vic...that art is so bad, it's distracting.  I don't think I'd get through the whole series with art like that.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »
based on the art-- So the villain shown is who... Man-Hippo?   ;)
based on some of the 'out-there' villains that appeared in the original Power Man comics, it's about par.. I wonder if it's armor or a mutation..
i wonder if any of the older forgotten villains will show up, too..

Hopefully this will sell well and clear the way for more minis...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »
I thought that was Rhino... huh.  :-[

Beloved Tah, do you have any other Luke moments, please?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:15 pm »
That super long neck is scary! I almost wish Rob Liefield would fix that.  :-\
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:11 pm »
Peep this, for a cameo by Luke, way back in the days...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdgmkc-xJA
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 03:54:04 pm »
Peep this, for a cameo by Luke, way back in the days...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdgmkc-xJA

Wow lol ...  :D
Pull List

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 04:20:31 pm »

I'll see you and raise you:

Spiderman Web Of Shadows- funny Luke Cage and Spidey
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:40:23 am by JRCarter »

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:53 pm »
Cage new leader/mentor of the Thunderbolts

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24771
Pull List

Offline DJfunkyPuddle

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 05:48:23 pm »

hahahahaha  "I will be back!" and was that Robocop!?

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:57 pm »
Some notes :

http://comics.ign.com/articles/106/1067753p1.html

Jeff Parker: Yes, we do keep a focus on all the personal developments Luke has gone through. I think Luke does see this as a somehow more stable life, keeping in line with the fact that he's now one of Marvel's premiere family men. But... ultimately, it's not going to be any easier than being an Avenger- which he still is, of course.

IGN Comics: Does this new direction tie into Luke's appearance in Thunderbolts #137?

Rosemann: That adventure gave Luke personal insight into how Norman Osborn had twisted the idea of the Thunderbolts into his own demented plaything. So while this new status quo isn't a direct continuation of that story, one might say that it may have planted the seed in Luke's head of how he could take the idea of the Thunderbolts into his own hands and redeem the team's name.

IGN Comics: How would you describe the mission of the Thunderbolts now? Is Luke attempting to reform the villains under his charge?

Rosemann: The Thunderbolts program provides the best and worst of the super-incarcerated a shot at redemption and the path to rehabilitation. Rather than throwing them into the revolving door of arrest and escape, the hero and villain community now have a program that can break the cycle. Luke wants to help those that want to help themselves. But if you're there just to take advantage of the situation, Luke is going to smack you upside the head and give you a one-way ticket back to solitary.

Parker: Luke is put in a weird position though- many of the options given for the Thunderbolts to take action on are really, really treacherous. He's well aware that everybody may not be coming back. But as he sees it, failure isn't an option. One bad event can close the whole program, and seal off everyone's chance at a new life.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Thunderbolts-Luke-Cage-100209.html

Jeff Parker: First, it's back to being an above-ground operation, based at The Raft supermax facility. Even former Thunderbolts are coming on as staff to help get the stain of Norman Osborn off the team and push again the idea of reform.
All the most powerful criminals are now being contained at The Raft, an Alcatraz for the super community. At the east end of the prison is Thunderbolts tower, which all of the incarcerated can see from the courtyard, projecting up like a beacon, a constant reminder. You're down there, you could be up here. And up here means closer to the world out of these walls where you'll be expected to use your abilities to help for a change.

Nrama: Speaking of different characters, let's speak first to their new leader – Luke Cage. I know he's not back in prison, but Cage is an ideal person to lead up these criminal rehabilitation-cum-team program – his origin was him in prison where he traded parole for taking part in an experimental procedure which gave him his powers. But for you and Marvel, why Luke Cage to not only be apart of this – but to lead it?

Rosemann: Despite what his fantasies might reveal, Brian Michael Bendis does not corner the market on Luke Cage love. Throughout his history, Luke has displayed the intelligence, heart and willpower needed to lead. And, as you so acutely noted the connection between this program and his own origin, Luke knows a thing or two about justice, hard choices and second chances.

Rosemann: Oh...and Thunderbolt fans will be happy to know we haven’t thrown the baby out with the bathwater. As you mentioned Chris, Ghost and Moonstone will be back in the game...plus a few more nail filers we’re keeping hidden in our cake.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24771

CBR News: Jeff, perhaps the biggest news is that Luke Cage is now a member of the Thunderbolts. What can you tell me about the role he plays in the series, and in your mind what made Luke the right person for this role?

Jeff Parker: Luke is the linchpin that holds it all together. After what Norman Osborn did with the Thunderbolts program, most people don't want it to ever exist in any form at all. But some influential people understand the value of a program that tries to give these powerful agents a more noble purpose. So the next time an Osborn rises to prominence, maybe he won't have so many big guns at his disposal.

Is Thunderbolts a book with a fixed cast or will we see certain cast members leave the book and new ones introduced on a regular basis?

Jeff Parker:It will rotate, and even when we're focusing on a core group, there's always the likelihood of another prisoner being brought in for a certain mission that his or her powers fit with well.

Jeff Parker:At first, they have to spend some time on the aftermath of the "Dark Reign". While H.A.M.M.E.R. was in power, there was no S.H.I.E.L.D. in place to handle the things they would have around the world, and some hotspots have become a furnace.

Is there anything you can tell us about the supporting cast of "Thunderbolts?" Do you have any plans for Luke Cage's friends and family or the original T-Bolts like Songbird, Techno, or Mach V?

Jeff Parker:You'll see some of those original 'Bolts lending their expertise to the program and weighing in on the team creation process. They'll be part of the extended cast. And you will see Luke's family; they're a big part of his life that he is trying to balance here.
Pull List