Author Topic: 25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME  (Read 8413 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:47:25 am »
25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME

This is a popular game on Facebook these days.  But I’m posting on my site, because that’s the point of having your own site, right? 

Take a look, and feel free to post your own list. 

I have two older brothers.  I have been told (not by my parents) that I was an attempt to have a girl, to be named Barbara. 

My dad gave all of his kids’ multisyllabic names as a device to help us learn the alphabet.

My brother and I aren’t the first filmmakers in the Hudlin family.  Our great-great granduncle, Richard Hudlin, made films at the turn of the century, during the film great film boom.  We didn’t know about him until recently.  Don’t know if any of his movies survive.

My kindergarten was later turned into the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Skating Rink in 1968.  That name was later reduced to Skate King by the 80’s. 

My first “favorite record” was LOUIE LOUIE by the Kingsmen.  Apparently I would bounce up and down in my diaper, which amused by older brothers to no end.  Two of the first 45s I bought were SCORPIO by Dennis Coffey, and YOU WANT IT, YOU GOT IT by the Detroit Emeralds.  I can’t believe I can’t remember the third one I bought at the same time as the other two.  First album was STAND by Sly and the Family Stone.  The title song is still my favorite anthem.  Play it at my funeral.

As a kid, I had a gold bicycle with purple banana seat.  I also had a ten speed bike with no brakes.  I’d go down steep hills into dead ends, swerve into heavy traffic, even got hit by a car once.  God must love me because I should be dead.

As a kid, my best friends were Sanfus and Brian.  Brian didn’t live across the street, but his grandma did, and he was over there all the time, usually mopping the floors with Pine-Sol.  His grandma dipped snuff, and while we played “Laugh In” on the front porch, she would pop out the front door periodically and spit.

BTW, “Laugh In”, was our made up game where one person stood up and told jokes until someone else laughed, at which time they had to stand up and tell jokes until they got someone to replace them.   A brutal training ground for comedy.

I’ve never gotten high or drunk, or had a perm, jheri-curl or a six-week blow out.  Also, no tattoos, brands or piercings. 

I went to a Catholic high school.   Years later, when they found dangerous amounts of asbestos in the building, the only part of the state that could pay to remove it was the corrections department.  So now my old high school is now a juvenile prison. 

I never visited Harvard before arriving there for classes.  I showed up alone with a bunch of heavy ass boxes.  Going to visit the campus beforehand seemed like a waste of money.  It didn’t matter what it looked like – if I got in, I was going, and that was that.  I got into every school I applied to, but my brother, a Yalie, said I should go to Harvard.  So I went.

On my third day there, there’s a mixer where all the freshmen meet the University president.  Everyone there had on the same outfit – blue blazer, khaki pants, white shirt, red tie. 

Except me.  I had on a white jacket with collar popped and sleeves pushed up, and a loose knit tie…remember, this is the 80s GQ era. 

I surveyed the room, and decided no one there knew how to dress but me. 

I clearly remember my senior year when I realized I didn’t have what it took to be a filmmaker.  I was checking out the camera from the equipment room and had to be reminded to make sure I had the light meter.  The fact that I almost left without a key piece of equipment made me realize I was a complete incompetent.  It was a moment of clarity, and as I carried the heavy equipment back to my dorm room, I felt terrible about wasting my parent’s money on a degree I didn’t deserve. 

Since I couldn’t think anything better to do, I finished by senior thesis film, HOUSE PARTY.  It worked out after all.

I’m grateful to have dated a model when I was still broke.  Not dating a hot chick until you’re famous and/or rich leads to all kinds of anger and insecurity.

When I was a kid, my father warned me against using anti-perspirant every day.  He said every once and a while it’s good just to let the body sweat it out.  I ignored that nasty sounding piece of advice until I got ill from the aluminum or whatever it is in anti-perspirant and switched to deodorant that doesn’t have the same pore-plugging effect. 

I’d gladly live twice as long.  In good health, of course.  I want to see how things work out.  I also have a lot of stuff on my “to do” list.  Too many books to read, movies to watch, places to visit and skills to acquire.  I want to learn how to play piano and guitar, master another language or two, get a tennis game, score a goal in hockey.

My dad always wanted to go to the Rose Bowl Parade.  I was too self-absorbed to invite him out and do it. I regret that all the time.  I also have his Christmas present that I never got to give him because he passed away before the holiday.  So now I just give people gifts when I feel like it.  Don’t wait to share love.

Ex-girlfriends have given me some great advice.  One said “The sooner you admit who you really are, the sooner you’ll get where you want to go”.  Another said:  “Maybe the problem isn’t that you don’t have enough control.  Maybe the problem is you’ve got too much control”. 

GREAT WHITE HYPE wasn’t a hit movie, but I got a lot out of it.  My doctor, one of my best friends, my wife…sometimes good things can come from an unsuccessful product or venture.

I like living in a time that once looked like “the future” – cell phones, giant flat screen TVs, black president.  Like most black people, I have no nostalgia about any other period of history.  Sure, I’d like to meet Jesus and Thurgood Marshall and Jimi Hendrix…then step back into my time machine and go home.

Still pissed that we don’t have flying cars, though.  That would be HOT.

I have very good taste in friends.  I have maintained relationships from every period of my life, from childhood through college and living on both coasts.  A few of them have self-destructed or done me wrong, but most of them are loyal, smart and interesting people to be around. 

One of the nicest things about working at BET was making pop entertainment for three years without worrying about a “crossover audience”.  That was a real luxury. 

People always mistake kindness for weakness.  Maybe I would go further in life being more ruthless.  But I’ve always done well, and I think one of the reasons is because of who I am as a person.

I think the “nice guy/jerk” dynamic is the same in business as it is in relationships.  When I was young, I wondered while jerks got the girls.  Later I realize that jerks were assertive, and nice guys didn’t speak up.  Same in business.  You don’t have to be jerk to have your business tight.   

Hollywood preys on the insecure.  You can have a million dollars and feel broke.  The only people who truly win this game by its own rules are psychopaths, and there are plenty of them.  If you are not one of them, then don’t seek their approval.  They are f*cking crazy.

When people call me “Mr. Hudlin”, I don’t think “that’s my dad”.  No, I am Mr. Hudlin.  I am a grown ass man and I’ve earned it.

I am in constant awe of my children. 

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: 25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:15:09 pm »
craig and I had a conversation about the hidden genius of "Great White Hype".  Always one of my favorite movies.  I always figured people never saw the subtle/not so subtle social commentary in there.  It was the little things that really hit me with that movie.  The scene where the champ storms off after being confronted about donating money to kids, the ignorance of peter berg, wanting to "eradicate the homelessness situations".  The matter of factness when the champ beat his ass.  When the guard broke out in his best michael jackson.  Heh. Loved that movie.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:20:49 pm »
People always mistake kindness for weakness.  Maybe I would go further in life being more ruthless.  But I’ve always done well, and I think one of the reasons is because of who I am as a person.

I think the “nice guy/jerk” dynamic is the same in business as it is in relationships.  When I was young, I wondered while jerks got the girls.  Later I realize that jerks were assertive, and nice guys didn’t speak up.  Same in business.  You don’t have to be jerk to have your business tight.   

Hollywood preys on the insecure.  You can have a million dollars and feel broke.  The only people who truly win this game by its own rules are psychopaths, and there are plenty of them.  If you are not one of them, then don’t seek their approval.  They are f*cking crazy.
------------------------------------------

These would actually be 8) 9) and 10) on my list. I knew we shared some world views. A full list will take a lot of time and thought. Will do later.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:37:26 pm »
#1 - Crazy question... Was it your brothers or an uncle-figure who told you that?

#4 - All right... That's just plain wrong.

#9 - See #4.

#10 - I gotta admire that.

#12 - That's some hard-hitting sh*t, there. It just goes to show you that you never know.

#22 - TOO f*ckING TRUE!!!!

=======================

Lion's 25... I altered a few of them from my Facebook list to be more HEF-friendly.

1. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have been more of a dick. I tend to be too nice. People think they can run over me. When I push back or cuss them out, they act like I'm threatening them. I've noticed this especially with women. Someone else says or does something worse, they write it off as normal. If I say or do something "not nice", they act as if I'm psychotic or have anger management issues.

2. The Life-Gets-Better Scholarship at Florida A&M University did not make my life better. In fact, they owe me about $15,000. ($23,091.81 if you take into account a 4% interest rate.)

3. I once snapped a friend's father's G-string... on his 12-string guitar, you sickos!

4. I wrote my Masters Seminar Paper on Kurt Elling and Laurence Hobgood's song "The Beauty of All Things." (from the album "The Messenger.")

5. When it was time to orally present said paper in class, the CD Player would not play my CD. I had to play it on the piano. NOT COOL!!!! (If I sang it as well, I blacked out that part of the memory.)

6. If I had not been turned down for the doctoral program at IU in '01, I would have quit the next year when my brother died in a housefire.

7. If you piss me off and I stop talking to you, it's because I'm doing my darndest not to cuss you out. Save yourself the trouble and give me time to stew!

8. In my opinion, "reality checks" are no more than "well-meaning people" trying to suck the very life out of you. Be delusional! It's more fun and you'll be much happier!

9. I believe the most pointless theoretical analysis of a piece of music is one that does not take into account the stylistic norms of its genre. Ninths, elevenths, and thirteens CAN conceivably be chord tones in jazz and contemporary music! (Hey... People with a music theory background can get it.)

10. I was once called upon to do a gig at the last minute where I walked in, listened to about 10 songs on CD, wrote out the chords for each one, and rehearsed with the band all in the space of one hour. An hour after the rehearsal, we did the gig. Mind you... Unlike the rest of the band, I didn't have any music before hand. Also, unlike the rest of the band, I NEVER GOT PAID!!! Grrrrr...

11. I once performed most of the rehearsals until tech week and two nights of "Ain't Misbehavin'" with the Cincinnati Black Theatre Company. NEVER GOT PAID. Don Sherman can suck it.

12. I may seem nice and formal, but rest assured that inappropriate language is and has always been apart of my formal vocabulary.

13. I totally slept through music theory class in undergrad. I knew all that stuff before hand.

14. My second instrument was clarinet. My third was... vibraphone! THEN, I picked up alto saxophone.

15. My first professional accompanist job out of Florida A&M was playing for Muse Machine's production of "Damn Yankees." I won't say how much it paid, but it was more than I ever got as musical director for a show!

16. The absolute best thing you can do for your self-esteem is to decide other people's opinions have no bearing on your quality as a person.

17. I believe people should be judged on their actions, not on their station in life or the status of their success. Successful people pull all sorts of dirty sh*t that have nothing to do with their success!

18. One of my lowest points was trying to get into chamber music after returning to my hometown... and none of the string players I knew wanted to bite! I felt like I was three inches tall.

19. I am now and have pretty much always been extremely close to my brothers, sisters, and parents. They know by now that if they had listened to me from the get-go, it would have saved them the aggravation of acknowledging that I was right.

20. I once got the FAMU Concert Choir kicked out of the Econolodge on Edwin C. Moses in Dayton, OH after cussing out two maids and hotel management for breaking the agreement and mistreating choir members. Police were actually called, but they rolled their eyes and left. Four years later, I watched history repeat itself in Cincinnati! (Note I said "watch"... not "caused"...)

21. I used to wear my hair in a large afro when I attended Florida A&M University. Actually... No one liked it but me! I had the whole thing cut off in 1998 before I did my student-teaching. That was the last time the world saw my wrinkly scalp. My hair is more than twice as long, now!

22. On my 30th birthday, I gave a recital at a local music store. About 40 people showed up and I didn't tell anyone until I played the final piece that it was my birthday. That was my first full-length solo piano recital. I performed it on a $100K Bosendorfer. Best birthday ever!

23. The night before the recital, I was at the gym doing squats and smashed my right pinky against the rack. It started bleeding and throbbing. The gym night manager looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they had band-aids. I wrapped it in a paper towel to stop the bleeding and finished my leg workout.

24. When I was 19, I went to a David Benoit concert that was opened up by Hal Melia. During the intermission, the backstage door opened and Benoit was pulling out his pen ready to sign autographs. I said to him "I don't want to talk to you. I want to talk to Hal!" The sad thing was that it really was a good concert.

25. I can't stand my first name. I go by my middle name. I know several other people who strictly use their middle names with absolutely no trouble at all. My older brother. NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER. For whatever reason, though, it seems that certain people think they have the right to dictate to me what my legal name is or what I have to sign. Social Security and the IRS didn't give a damn, but the Bureau of Motor Vehicles did. My high school (which my brother went to with NO problem) and FAMU insisted on it, but Indiana University had no problem whatsoever with me using my first initial and my full middle name. I will NEVER understand that mess. Even the f*cking DEALER wouldn't sell me a f*cking car unless I signed using my first name. (When backed into a corner like that, I just sign all three of my names.) And I REFUSE to get a f*cking court order to "change my name" when all I am doing is using my middle name. Total bullsh*t. I'd be AWFULLY surprised if H. Ross Perot has to go through any of this sh*t. And NO ONE harasses my brother at all!

I personally think their problem is because my middle name is Arabic. Don't know. Don't care. f*ckers.

Jenn

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:26:37 pm »
Are you kidding me? GWH has one of the best lines in movie history.

"White heavyweight? Them words don't even go together. That's like saying 'black unity'."

Okay, so it was a very strong cast w/a very weak script, but maybe I dug it because I'm such a big combat sport fan. Samuel L. Jackson in that stupid turban cracked me up all day.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »

#4 - All right... That's just plain wrong.

What?
I usedta skate my assssss off there!

#9 - See #4.

That is a damn shame!
*cough!* cough!*

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »
Careful about those coughs, Magic... They do law commercials about those, now!

All right... Where's your 25?

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:13:38 pm »

BTW, “Laugh In”, was our made up game where one person stood up and told jokes until someone else laughed, at which time they had to stand up and tell jokes until they got someone to replace them.   A brutal training ground for comedy.

LOL!!
I’ve never gotten high or drunk, or had a perm, jheri-curl or a six-week blow out.  Also, no tattoos, brands or piercings. 

Really?
But you shopped at Rozell's and partied at the Regal Room, right?

I went to a Catholic high school.   Years later, when they found dangerous amounts of asbestos in the building, the only part of the state that could pay to remove it was the corrections department.  So now my old high school is now a juvenile prison. 

That's a damn shame.

I clearly remember my senior year when I realized I didn’t have what it took to be a filmmaker.  I was checking out the camera from the equipment room and had to be reminded to make sure I had the light meter.  The fact that I almost left without a key piece of equipment made me realize I was a complete incompetent.  It was a moment of clarity, and as I carried the heavy equipment back to my dorm room, I felt terrible about wasting my parent’s money on a degree I didn’t deserve. 

Since I couldn’t think anything better to do, I finished by senior thesis film, HOUSE PARTY.  It worked out after all.

I remember hearing about this film, while still climbing the walls of asbestos and wondering, "Why the hell would anyone go see a movie about a house party, when they could just go to the party?"
Boy, was I wrong.

To what do you attribute your unshakable confidence?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »

=======================

Lion's 25... I altered a few of them from my Facebook list to be more HEF-friendly.

1. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have been more of a dick.

OMG!
I had to re-read this to get it right.

7. If you piss me off and I stop talking to you, it's because I'm doing my darndest not to cuss you out. Save yourself the trouble and give me time to stew!

For the record, I love how you went-off on the recently-banned-one the other day.  That was awesome!

8. In my opinion, "reality checks" are no more than "well-meaning people" trying to suck the very life out of you. Be delusional! It's more fun and you'll be much happier! 

AMEN!!

10. I was once called upon to do a gig at the last minute where I walked in, listened to about 10 songs on CD, wrote out the chords for each one, and rehearsed with the band all in the space of one hour. An hour after the rehearsal, we did the gig. Mind you... Unlike the rest of the band, I didn't have any music before hand. Also, unlike the rest of the band, I NEVER GOT PAID!!! Grrrrr...

11. I once performed most of the rehearsals until tech week and two nights of "Ain't Misbehavin'" with the Cincinnati Black Theatre Company. NEVER GOT PAID. Don Sherman can suck it.

Softee!

17. I believe people should be judged on their actions, not on their station in life or the status of their success. Successful people pull all sorts of dirty sh*t that have nothing to do with their success!

Word, brother!  Word!

25. I can't stand my first name.

So.........is your your first name, Humphrey?

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:36:43 pm »
All right... Where's your 25?

Gimme a minute to give it some thought.

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:08:58 pm »

=======================

1. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have been more of a dick.

OMG!
I had to re-read this to get it right.

Yep. I said it. On my Facebook page, I said "If I had it all to do over again, I'd have been more of a dick. Most of you all got off WAAAAY too easy!"

Like I said, I tend to be way too nice and considerate of other people when inside I am really thinking to myself "Goddamnit, why the hell are you bothering me with this motherf*cking sh*t?"

One my sopranos at church has started her pestering me for a solo just this morning. I was thinking to myself "Look, Bitch, your breath support is terrible, you sing too loud, you hold over vowels, your enunciation is non existent, your intonation goes sharp, you have an obnoxious tremolo, you don't follow direction, AND I wouldn't blame the rest of the choir for revolting if I gave you a solo."

What came out of my mouth? "I love that song, Tremolo, but I want to hold off on it until we get back to our building." Of course I left out the part about wanting her to butcher it in our own church where the other parish doesn't have to suffer having to listen to her mangle it.

For the record, I love how you went-off on the recently-banned-one the other day.  That was awesome!

Thank you! I was worried that someone would take offense at the notion that a transvestite crack hooker could possibly sire something as obnoxious and revolting as the-banned-one.

Softee!

Trust me. I've learned since then. There are only so many times you allow yourself to get burned "doing right by others" when they don't feel the same obligation to you. The first instance, I assumed no one got paid because hardly anyone showed up. I didn't find out anyone got paid until two years later. That one's a long story... and there are too many people on my sh*t list for that one.

In the second instance, I fell out with the director after he pulled a fast one on me during tech week. I quit. The bass player was a friend of mine and talked me into bailing them out on two shows the replacement pianist couldn't do. I was supposed to get paid. I haven't seen the check yet. Ironically, I fell out with that bass player over something else around the New Year. He owes me money, too.

So, other than my church job, I'm not playing with anyone at the moment. It's craziness.

25. I can't stand my first name.

Hell NAW, I'm not posting my first name! I think Mr. Anti-Foolishness might know either because it came up in conversation or on the caller ID, but I'm not telling anyone else. You guys are lucky there are HEF folks that know my name at ALL! I'm really way too paranoid of the internet.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 01:46:55 pm »

Hell NAW, I'm not posting my first name! I think Mr. Anti-Foolishness might know either because it came up in conversation or on the caller ID, but I'm not telling anyone else. You guys are lucky there are HEF folks that know my name at ALL! I'm really way too paranoid of the internet.

Then it must be Leroy!

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 02:32:38 pm »
GAAAAAAAAAH!!!! Though I suppose that is better than Lucas...

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 03:45:26 pm »
Reggie, you went through the 70's without an afro!!!!! :o

That ain't right!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 03:51:12 pm »
Reggie, you went through the 70's without an afro!!!!! :o

That ain't right!

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't say ANYTHING about not having a 'fro.  I very much did.  I just didn't use any chemical enhancers.